Got the "Overworld" theme done! It's a bit low quality, but you can get the point of the song from it:

EDIT: Since I've been playing around with this for a while, it of course doesn't feel quite done to me. Any musical suggestions on what I can change or add?
Well, for another update today, I decided to push myself with tiling, and ended up making ~200 new ones. This brings the total to just below 480 tiles! Here's the total set so far, now including castles, some dungeon entrances, a graveyard and mountain theme, bridges, and a few misc. (yet cool) tiles:

On a side note, JustCause asked if he could join the team for composing music, and... naturally, I had to take up the great offer Smile He's a quite accomplished composer, specializing in chiptunes, which makes him perfect for the job! That turns this from a one man job to a two man job.
Those looks absolutely great! I hope JustCause will post up here and tell us about what he has planned. I vote that some of the songs be converted to MT3 format so they can play on-calc during some titlescreens or something.
KermMartian wrote:
Those looks absolutely great! I hope JustCause will post up here and tell us about what he has planned. I vote that some of the songs be converted to MT3 format so they can play on-calc during some titlescreens or something.

Thanks Smile I'm trying to get him to post over here as well. As for MT3 format, Qazz made one, but unfortunately it seems as if I'll need to take out the drumline channels completely, and likely augment it an octave up to make it work well Sad
You asked for info, you got it.

Right now, Ashbad's got me working on something for the title screen. My plans for this will remain a mystery for now, but as anyone who's worked with me before will know, there will be themes, and they will show up in loads of other tracks I do for this project. Creating those little motifs is what I live for. ^^

I'm also working on a "remastered" version of the Overworld theme, in true chip style. Which is to say I'm going to keep the basic melody line, arpeggiate everything to hell, NOISE DRUMSSSSSSSS and a handful of cool harmonies I've been working out. And more themes. Smile

I've also got a handful of other things I've been tossing around. Little fanfares and such, perhaps a "Game Over" tune, and an "Item Get" that IMO rivals Zelda's Four Notes of Win in pure catchiness and YESSSSS factor...You'll hear those when they're finished. Rest assured that I have a LOT planned for this project. I tend to go a little insane with my composing. Razz

Typically, I work with NES channels (2xsquare, 1xtriangle, 1xnoise, 1xDPCM), and even though the project's done in a Game Boy style, I likely won't change that, as I hate working with the weird free-form channel on the Game Boy and it's frankly a pain to get working properly with Famitracker. Besides, not many people are going to notice the difference anyway. ^^

TL;DR
Composing everything, watch the thread.
Sounds totally awesome Smile if you want the .it file for the Overworld theme track for viewing in OpenMPT, I can give that to you straight away to make life easier modifying it. And, of course, very glad to have you on the team Smile
Very nice, I am glad you both continue to work on this amazing project, I am still waiting to play it, I guess I can wait some more. Also if you need a guinea pig beta tester I am your man.
zeldaking, will keep you in mind Wink

Well, today I am working on the beginnings of TaNF's battle engine, a map editor to quickly make screens and output to a format of my liking, and working on finishing up the last few tiles and then moving onto sprites. JustCause has also been working on music today, and has two totally rad things he came up with:

A loop for the Save/Continue screen after you die, based on the overworld theme: http://www.mediafire.com/?u2icvwdi4969fos
Now tell me he isn't totally awesome Wink
Finished the main map.

Map looks good ashbad. Reminds me of zelda but epic
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Map looks good ashbad. Reminds me of zelda but epic

Thanks. Subconsciously, I made it somewhat like this map, because Zelda: Oracle of Ages was my favorite game in the series besides Link to the Past, because of nostalgic reasons. I didn't look at the map until you said that, but the similarities are striking between the two:

Threw together a little town theme. Cookies if you can guess what game I'm using for inspiration here. Smile

Soundcloud
\o *raises hand*

Excellent job, I must say, it sounds very very good Smile
so, finished making the map editor, so I can now draw out maps and then just copy-paste the C-compatible data declaration text from the last-output file.

Oh, and I know that little screen I put together here is very ugly and cluttered. Just for example.

It looks really nice.
Good work! Very Happy
Out of curiosity, how strongly are you considering a Prizm port of this when you finish the computer version? It looks to me as if it would carry over extremely easily...
KermMartian wrote:
Out of curiosity, how strongly are you considering a Prizm port of this when you finish the computer version? It looks to me as if it would carry over extremely easily...

It was initially going to be made a Prizm game Wink it actually could port very well. I have anticipated getting this question, and hence I have my code written so that I just need to change a few methods from using SDL to just the Prizm syscalls and just take out a few things like the music threading, and just make the screen scale to a factor of 2 instead of 4, and that would likely be all that would be needed to port it over.
I'm still working on this! Smile Though you won't see much outwards progress for a while. I'm working on internal things right now, so until those are crisp and ready, nothing visual's going to be shown. Just an update to show that there is still development.
Just a random WIP track: Soundcloud
Well, it's been held up due to the contest #8 and the IDT AST contest. Back into the working again; I'm spending my time today upgrading some of the tiles (mostly, making a lot more new castle tiles, some more that would make a town environment look good, some cave ones, ones for the ice tower, some large trees for the forest in the northwest map corner, etc. (the forest there is going to be somewhat like the "lost forest" in ALTTP))

And, tomorrow, I'll be spending lots of time working out the main engine again.

Edit: I made a small song or two in the meantime of the contest, but (AFAIK) nothing else has been made; JC has been missing, and our real life link (a guy in my AP comp. Sci. Class whom I discovered was a friend of his IRL) Has told me for various reasons (cough, parents) he'll be offline for a while. Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours