Columbus sucks. And to make it worse, he has a holiday, too.

He tortured Native Americans, made false claims, "saved" them by forcing them to convert to Christianity, and was a complete jerk, by claiming that He discovered America, both by the fact that he came second (or third, depending on how you see it) and that it wasn't actually him that first saw the New World.

I think we should all take a hint from South Dakota and celebrate Native American Day instead.
Let's celebrate Ashbad day!
Why doesn't C (the programming language) get a holiday?
Why doesn't castlevania get a holiday? Castlevania day should totally be a holiday
Aaaaug. How does this turn into a holiday thread...
Um, guys, I already suggested Ashbad day. First come, first serve. Maybe next year.
seana11 wrote:

probably because no one really cares about the topic you proposed..
qazz42 wrote:
seana11 wrote:

probably because no one really cares about the topic you proposed..
I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.
Who's read Pastwatch? Seems fairly relevant, or at least more so than announcing a holiday of yourself.
Hmm, that does look interesting. I'll have to read that. It is anti -Columbus, heheheh...
I recommend O.S.C.'s "Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus".

[edit]

Dang it, Caldude ninja'd me. Don't know how I didn't see it.
At least he wasn't 106 years late.
Wow, I actually learned (or rather, re-learned) something from Seana other than his general hatred of things! Amazing. Smile

related to the topic `-`
Actually, Kerm, I'm pretty sure you can file this under the "General Hatred" category.

Seana, Keep in mind that in that time period no one thought of it as morally wrong to mistreat blacks and use them as slaves. For his time, he was just an explorer exploiting natural resources.

Oh, and the Vikings don't really count against him (They're the ones that you're referring to to make him the third person, right?) Since it wasn't him who didn't believe them when they came back, and he didn't exactly steal their knowledge or anything. However, the fact that his crewman was the first to see land wasn't very nice at all, but hey, no one's perfect.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours