How devastated are you about this downtime?
My life will be empty for five hours.
 46%  [ 6 ]
I will somehow find a way to get through the pain.
 15%  [ 2 ]
Wait, downtime? Why?
 15%  [ 2 ]
I don't think I'll notice.
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

I've received an email from Surpass about upcoming network maintenance to upgrade their DNS cluster; the meat of the email:

Quote:
We would like to inform you about an upcoming maintenance for our DNS cluster, which will take place on Sunday, November 6th, 2011 at 12:00AM EDT at our US data center facility (DC2). We have set the maintenance window for 5 hours.

The maintenance involves removing the old DNS cluster servers and
racking the new servers. To minimize DNS downtime, we will be putting the old DNS cluster back online in a temporary location until the new DNS cluster is fully setup.

Those who have been here for a while will remember that back in January we had 178 minutes of downtime due to a cascade of failures while Surpass did what was meant to be trivial maintenance. However, I have faith in Surpass keeping to their planned maintenance window, as I've found them to be very competent overall, and if there are indeed problems, I'm sure they'll maintain lines of communication with us.
'tis my hub, bro. With it gone I'll have an empty five hours. Perfect time to whip you in Hedgewars, however, Kerm. So it might actually turn into 5 hours of win.

We shall see.
oh dear, I guess that shall be a perfect time to play some UT3, in that case Very Happy

or castlevania.

Anywho, good luck to surpass and their maintenance, and let's hope we do have minimal downtime as I am sure some of us shall just shrivel up without cemetech Very Happy
NOOOO. Sad
Well, for any down time, we can always poke around on TI-Freakware :p

Hopefully, Kerm, you'll do a complete backup on the 4th/5th so to make sure you have the absolute latest so little is lost?
What does the DNS cluster have to do with Cemetech? If only DNS is down, the solution's a line in /etc/hosts. Does this maintenance imply actual Cemetech downtime?
Anyway, 12-5AM Nov. 6th I'll probably be sleeping.
calcdude84se wrote:
What does the DNS cluster have to do with Cemetech? If only DNS is down, the solution's a line in /etc/hosts. Does this maintenance imply actual Cemetech downtime?

KermMartian wrote:
Those who have been here for a while will remember that back in January we had 178 minutes of downtime due to a cascade of failures while Surpass did what was meant to be trivial maintenance.

So, probably not, but experience says there may be unexpected downtime.
tifreak, the actual machine that Cemetech is hosted on isn't scheduled to be touched in any way, so there's little worry there. Calcdude, as Tari said, past downtimes have had cascading power failures, so you never know.
The reason DNS changes could be an issue is due to how shared hosting works Cemetech's SQL server may not be hosted on the same machine as Cemetech. So while Cemetech might be reachable the site may not be able to resolve the name of its SQL server and thus not connect.
Well Kerm, it was just a suggestion as a precaution, never know what they might end up screwing with that causes other errors. Better to be safe and all that.
tifreak, don't admins have the ability to make and download gzip backups under phpBB's ACP? It won't be happening this week, so Kerm should have the time to do it before the 6th.
Good thing this site sucks anyway.
I think you are the only one that thinks so. If it sucks so bad then why are you here.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
I think you are the only one that thinks so. If it sucks so bad then why are you here.

It's Nikky -- you'll get used to him over time Wink
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
To troll us with his truthful preaching.
Oh. good to know. So I will just ignore him
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Oh. good to know. So I will just ignore him

That's a decidedly bad idea.
Well. Say something useful to the topic and then I might change my mind.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
That's not ignoring him. You can do this! Be strong!
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:

Not be rude, but don't get so worked up over this. Nikky posts like this in most topics so you'll get used to it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours