If you're using Visual Studio you're actually writing C++ (hence the .cpp files instead of .c files). I would recommend actually learning C++ instead of trying to write pseudo-C in a C++ compliant way. Valid C isn't necessarily valid C++, as you are finding out.

C++ is superior anyway.
But C++ isn't programmable on the 68k and Prizm, so I kind of need to learn C so I can program for those platforms as well. Plus, I wanted to learn C++ eventually as well. Just one thing at a time. :p
tifreak8x wrote:
But C++ isn't programmable on the 68k and Prizm, so I kind of need to learn C so I can program for those platforms as well. Plus, I wanted to learn C++ eventually as well. Just one thing at a time. :p

Then learn C on those platforms. Learning C on Windows won't help you write C on a 68k or Prizm.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Then learn C on those platforms. Learning C on Windows won't help you write C on a 68k or Prizm.

Yeah, totally learn C for the first for a platform with few standard libraries or routines, with a development environment that is hard to set up for a beginner, and long deployment times that inhibit the speed in which you can test your programs. What a fun way to get encouraged about learning a language!
I recommend you go here: http://tigcc.ticalc.org/

I read some tutorials for that and got a good demo game working pretty quickly Smile
Ashbad wrote:
Yeah, totally learn C for the first for a platform with few standard libraries or routines

That's kind of the point. If you already know a programming language of some sort, then 95% of learning a new language is learning its libraries and how to use them. And if you don't know a programming language yet, you probably shouldn't start with C.

Quote:
with a development environment that is hard to set up for a beginner

So? Knowing the language won't make setting up the environment any easier.

Quote:
and long deployment times that inhibit the speed in which you can test your programs.

Finally, something that is a potentially valid reason. As I haven't done 68k or Prizm development, I can't comment on this much. But I suspect it's not nearly as bad as you imply.
tifreak8x wrote:
That's only because we haven't built a G++ based toolchain, just a GCC one. There's nothing programmatically or hardware-based that's stopping us from writing or running C++ programs on the Prizm. Smile
Quote:
That's kind of the point. If you already know a programming language of some sort, then 95% of learning a new language is learning its libraries and how to use them. And if you don't know a programming language yet, you probably shouldn't start with C.

Good point.

Quote:
So? Knowing the language won't make setting up the environment any easier.

It's one more complex thing that would discourage him from working with the language; once he at least knows the language, he'll have to learn how to set up and work with the environment, but that'll be one thing to do instead of doing that AND learning the language.

Quote:
Finally, something that is a potentially valid reason. As I haven't done 68k or Prizm development, I can't comment on this much. But I suspect it's not nearly as bad as you imply.

I don't know about 68K specifically, but for the prizm the wait can be multiple minutes per deploy, after having compiled and sending the binary over. I learned C for the prizm before C for windows, and it probably went a lot slower and I quit multiple more times as a result.
Ashbad, I'm going to have to disagree with you there; compilation is 20 seconds maximum, at the very slowest, and insert-copy-eject is no more than a minute. I agree that development cycles would be much for fluid with an emulator, of course, as it is with TI programming and our relatively mature emulators.
So, ok, any good pdf's to start off a beginner to C++, if that is everyone's preferred language?
Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel seems highly regarded and is available as a free download.
tifreak8x wrote:
So, ok, any good pdf's to start off a beginner to C++, if that is everyone's preferred language?
Actually, I wouldn't think it terrible to learn the C basics of functions, math, etc, then tack on the C++ bits of object-orientation, classes and methods, templating, and operator overloading afterwards. That's just me, though, since that's how I learned the two languages.
There are some decent enough online tutorials as well (like this one iirc: http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html )

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours