A good solid 20 minutes of programming humor? check.

http://rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_programming.shtml
...wow... My head hurts now Razz
haha, I have read that many times over, never fails to make me laugh!

my favorite is the one where the woman prints "WRONG" a billion times, and the one with x=x;
Hmm...the server appears to be down... as of 7:22 am Nov 11, 11. Maybe you could post a copy of this somewhere?
It's up for me, but if you still can't see it try the Wayback machine.
I never saw that page until you posted this (it's up for me), but I have read http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_stuptech.shtml. It's also pretty funny Very Happy
I think that generally anything on the rinkwork's stupid page is funny XD
Deep Thought wrote:
I never saw that page until you posted this (it's up for me), but I have read http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_stuptech.shtml. It's also pretty funny Very Happy

awesome link!! Laughing
Computer humor is so much fun...
Those were great, thanks for sharing. Smile I can only imagine what terrible errors computer science students make these days trying to, for example, write C code after being trained in perfunctory Java.
Quote:
When I was studying programming, one of my classmates was having serious troubles with his program. When he asked me for help, I leaned over his screen and saw all of his code in comments. The reason: "Well, it compiles much faster that way."

In college I worked as a consultant. One day this grad student was having trouble with his Fortran program and brought the printout to me. He said he kept changing things but couldn't get it to run correctly. His analysis: "I get the feeling that the computer just skips over all the comments."

I tutored college students who were taking a computer programming course. A few of them didn't understand that computers are not sentient. More than one person used comments in their Pascal programs to put detailed explanations such as, "Now I need you to put these letters on the screen." I asked one of them what the deal was with those comments. The reply: "How else is the computer going to understand what I want it to do?" Apparently they would assume that since they couldn't make sense of Pascal, neither could the computer.

these three stories are the real gems in the programming section, always make me laugh each time I read them XD
Maybe we could put our programming blunders here too?
My first TicTacToe program used code like this to see if somebody won:

Code:
:If(X's turn)
:Then
:If(X at 1,1)
:If(X at 1,2)
:If(X at 1,3)
:Goto WIN
:End
:Else
:If(X at 2,1)
:If(X at 3,1)
:Goto WIN
:End
:Else
.etc.
Well, this is a personal story:

I was just starting to program after my friend, Mike, taught me. I started typing, in Alpha lock, DISP "HELLO WORLD". And wondered why it wasn't working. I got an actual facepalm from Mike for that one.
My first tic-tac-toe game, one of my first complete TI-BASIC games, did something (slightly) smarter to check for winning, something like this:

Code:
If X at 1,1 and X at 2,2 and X at 3,3
Goto WIN
If X at 1,1 and X at 1,2 and X at 1,3
Goto WIN
....etc...

However, the code to make the "AI" choose a spot in which to move was brute-forced very much like what you have above. Sad
When I first tried to type in the code for the Sierpinski Triangle, I used the feature of MirageOS to allow lowercase letters so that I could type everything. And I did so without ever trying any of the way through, and was devastated that it wouldn't work :/ I shortly found the back of the TI-84+/SE manual that made me realize there were tokens Razz
The first time I made snake in Ti-basic, I used clrhome EVERY TIME I wanted to display graphics!!! It ran so slow that I abandoned the project for a few months until I realized what an idiot I was.
I remember when I started coding on the TI. I was working off a horrible BEOWULF rogram for reference. So I tried to type in the program, like I had done for comuter programs. I was mystified by the errors that showed up.

A day or so later, I accidently pushed the pgrm key while editing a program. I discover most of the features this way.
I can't imagine the horrors I would find in some of my older BASIC games... Shock (especially the stuff in Omnipack and Omnipack SE)
Two bytes meet. The first byte asks, “Are you ill?”
The second byte replies, “No, just feeling a bit off.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eight bytes walk into a bar. The bartender asks, “Can I get you anything?”

“Yeah,” reply the bytes. “Make us a double.”

Q. How did the programmer die in the shower?
A. He read the shampoo bottle instructions: Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
None – It’s a hardware problem

Why do programmers always mix up Halloween and Christmas?
Because Oct 31 equals Dec 25.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who don’t.

A programmer walks to the butcher shop and buys a kilo of meat. An hour later he comes back upset that the butcher shortchanged him by 24 grams.

“Knock, knock.”
“Who’s there?”
very long pause….
“Java.”

Programming is 10% science, 20% ingenuity, and 70% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.

Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

A man is smoking a cigarette and blowing smoke rings into the air. His girlfriend becomes irritated with the smoke and says, “Can’t you see the warning on the cigarette pack? Smoking is hazardous to your health!”

To which the man replies, “I am a programmer. We don’t worry about warnings; we only worry about errors.”

There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks.

A programmer is walking along a beach and finds a lamp. He rubs the lamp, and a genie appears. “I am the most powerful genie in the world. I can grant you any wish, but only one wish.”

The programmer pulls out a map, points to it and says, “I’d want peace in the Middle East.”

The genie responds, “Gee, I don’t know. Those people have been fighting for millennia. I can do just about anything, but this is likely beyond my limits.”

The programmer then says, “Well, I am a programmer, and my programs have lots of users. Please make all my users satisfied with my software and let them ask for sensible changes.”

At which point the genie responds, “Um, let me see that map again.”

All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.

Have you heard about the new Cray super computer? It’s so fast, it executes an infinite loop in 6 seconds.

The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

“I just saw my life flash before my eyes and all I could see was a close tag…”

The computer is mightier than the pen, the sword, and usually, the programmer.

Debugging: Removing the needles from the haystack.

Two strings walk into a bar and sit down. The bartender says, “So what’ll it be?”

The first string says, “I think I’ll have a beer quag fulk boorg jdk^CjfdLk jk3s d#f67howe%^U r89nvy~~owmc63^Dz x.xvcu”

“Please excuse my friend,” the second string says, “He isn’t null-terminated.”

From the Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary:

Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.

The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware engineer with a software patch, and a user with an idea. – The Wizardry Compiled by Rick Cook

One hundred little bugs in the code
One hundred little bugs.
Fix a bug, link the fix in,
One hundred little bugs in the code.

http://www.devtopics.com/best-programming-jokes/
I have seen some of these before although not on this website, and yet they still make me cringe greatly whilst laughing.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours