It would be groovy if there were voice recognition for your calculator. I would use it if it were created. I would use it for passwords and recordings. That would be EPIC! I have a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.This is just a suggestion though.
Spenceboy98 wrote:
It would be groovy if there were voice recognition for your calculator. I would use it if it were created. I would use it for passwords and recordings. That would be EPIC! I have a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.This is just a suggestion though.

Voice recognition on an 84+, I would say.. would be technically impossible with given memory and included I/O devices (no build in microphone). Storing the data needed for recognition of voice patterns would be imaginably very very large, let alone the algorithms themselves. So, I would say that this is a feat that will likely never appear on an 84+ Smile

With that being said, you should Introduce Yourself here!
You can always send the input to servers via gCn, which would relay commands back to the calculator. It'd be fairly silly for a calculator where everything is simple enough but it'd be neat from a shell perspective: "rename [program] to [newname]"
That would make it much easier.
This is quite an interesting idea. With careful sampling, you _might_ be able to do some sort of sound recording via the link port, but you'd almost definitely need a preamp of some sort. You could then use something like Direct USB CALCnet to send the sound to a server for recognition, but all in all it would be quite slow.
That's actually, as far as I can tell, exactly how Siri for the iphone works.
Correct.
willrandship wrote:
That's actually, as far as I can tell, exactly how Siri for the iphone works.
Correct indeed! The iPhone has slightly better-suited audio sampling hardware than a graphing calculator, however. Very Happy Does anyone have a specific interest in trying to implement this project?
Maybe for the nspire, but don't count on it. At the very least I'd require an ADC over a few of the IO lines, or just a USB mic.
willrandship wrote:
Maybe for the nspire, but don't count on it. At the very least I'd require an ADC over a few of the IO lines, or just a USB mic.
You could do it with a preamplifier and the humble I/O socket of a TI-83+ calculator, in my opinion. Smile I wish I had the time to take on this challenge, but I'm drowning in work and life. Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours