Hi all,
I'm new to Cemetech however I have been working with TI-83s for a good number of years. With the recent development of my website I have decided to make an online TI-BASIC IDE much similar to SourceCoder. I have decided my language of choice shall be PHP. However, I have no idea how to turn regular text into a .8xp document. I believe there are hashtables and tokens involved; unfortunely I have no prior experience in these areas and thus have no idea how to go about solving this.

Can anybody tutor me (or explain in plain english) how I should go about doing this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Smile
Welcome to Cemetech, techboy6601! Please be sure to Introduce Yourself when you get a chance. I'm curious why you want to create your own IDE instead of using SourceCoder; are their features that it lacks that you need? SourceCoder is indeed written in PHP, with MySQL for the user projects storage. The tokens are stored in two tables, a reverse table and a forward table, with some clever algorithms of my own design to translate between tokenized and untokenized form.
Don't get me wrong; I love SourceCoder. I'm just doing it to test my abilities, sort of like a coding exercise. I would just like to see how it works; and I would also like something to call my own.
techboy6601 wrote:
Don't get me wrong; I love SourceCoder. I'm just doing it to test my abilities, sort of like a coding exercise. I would just like to see how it works; and I would also like something to call my own.
Certainly a respectable goal. I too have been known to "reinvent the wheel" more often than most. I think one of the most valuable resources for me when I was designing SourceCoder was the File Format and Link Protocol guide, or whatever its jumble of keywords happens to be:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/247/24750.html
Thanks for the post - I'll review.

I can see how this is helpful however I have no idea how to use it *sheepish smirk*
What would be the steps taken according to this table?
I am presuming:
1. Convert letter to token
2. Look up token in table and output the concurrent value
3. Repeat until EOF reached

Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Sorry for bothering you KermMartian, it's just that I can't grasp how I can turn the table you gave me into something useable in my PHP script.

Edit: Oops - forgot to mention, I'm doing this for a TI83+.
techboy6601 wrote:
Oops - forgot to mention, I'm doing this for a TI83+.
You're probably unfamiliar with fora, so let me warn you that when you reply to yourself within less than 24 hours, it's called double-posting, and frowned upon. Click the Edit button on your post instead. If it's more than 24 hours or so and no one has responded, it's more acceptable to "bump" the thread by replying to yourself.

Quote:
I can see how this is helpful however I have no idea how to use it *sheepish smirk*
What would be the steps taken according to this table?
I am presuming:
1. Convert letter to token
2. Look up token in table and output the concurrent value
3. Repeat until EOF reached
Well, the tokens are what are in the .8xp, and the plain characters are in the .txt, presumably. So that's more or less correct, other than also needing to stick a header on the beginning. If you're just trying to convert plain text documents, then your method will work (assuming by "concurrent" you mean "corresponding"). However, if you want to tokenize things like Disp and randInt( and the ilk, which are multiple letters in a .txt file but one or two bytes on the calculator, things get more complex. Also, if we're talking about plain-text documents, forgive me hyping another of my projects and online converters:

www.cemetech.net/projects/docde6/

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours