tifreak8x wrote:
I'm probably not going to be doing anything like that. I made a post asking if pokeballs that didn't catch pokemon should be picked back up or not, and the majority of the vote was to go with the original games, so that's what I am going with Smile

I can see you wanting to replicate the functionality of the original games, but I'd say that the issue you're citing is less of an issue of staying true to the original games and more of an issue with being just plain cheap. I mean, the game would be ten times easier if you got back your Poke Ball after a catch failed, since there would be no risk in throwing a Poke Ball!
If there were no risk, there'd be no fun.

I completely forgot to update, I have the code (hopefully) written out for the pokeball usage. The only bit I haven't gotten figured out 100% is how to make it only shake a certain amount of times. I'll be getting the code typed into Tokens and trying to test it out to see how things work out for it. Thought I'd update.
I have coded many pokemon games, and here are the catch mechanics i use in all my pokemon games. The pokeballs must shake 3 times. The math done here is 40+H/2-C-T-P-(1/M) If the result if below 0 it sets it to 0% Also if the division is not perfect, round it down. (7.9->7 or 9.3-9)
H= Health
C= Condition (SLP=10 PAR=7 PSN=4 FRZ=15 BRN=4)
T= Times the pokeball has been shaken (0= 0 1st=5 2nd=10 3rd=15) The pokemon can break free before the pokeball has a chance to shake thats why i have the 0 time in there.
P= Pokeball type (Pokeball = 0 Greatball = 10 Ultraball = 20)
M= Masterball? (If false then return 1 if true return 0) If M=0 then the math is impossible because you can't divide by 0 so an exception handler sets the chances of it breaking free to 0%

So if the pokemon has 20 health and is frozen and a Ultraball is used then:
0 Time: 40+(20/2)-15-0-20-1= 14%
1 Time: 40+(20/2)-15-5-20-1= 9%
2 Time: 40+(20/2)-15-10-20-1= 4%
3 Time: 40+(20/2)-15-15-20-1= -1% (Exception handler sets to 0%)

All that creates almost real pokemon physics. If you want to make it harder increase the value 40 on the formula.[/b]
tifreak8x wrote:
If there were no risk, there'd be no fun.

I completely forgot to update, I have the code (hopefully) written out for the pokeball usage. The only bit I haven't gotten figured out 100% is how to make it only shake a certain amount of times. I'll be getting the code typed into Tokens and trying to test it out to see how things work out for it. Thought I'd update.

why not just use the same calculations used in Red/Blue for that?

it runs a max of four checks to see if you catch a pokemon, and the capture fails on any of those checks that turns out false in the probability calculation
Do you know how many different sites have different catch rate equations out there? I took the one from bulbapedia, I think it is, and implemented that, but it is still a pain in the butt with all the random number this, divide that, multiply this, compare that stuff it has you do.
The one on bulbapedia is way more complicated, mine is very simple and still creates very real pokemon battle physics.
Tom wrote:
The one on bulbapedia is way more complicated, mine is very simple and still creates very real pokemon battle physics.

I believe that your algorithm works quite well, Tom, but I think that the point of this project is to replicate Red and Blue, thus requiring the use of the Generation I catch algorithms (no matter how complex they are).
By the way will the awesome glitch pokemon such as 'M, MissingNO, 3TrainerPoké $, ゥ .4, PC4SH be in the game? See http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Glitch_Pokemon for a full list of the RGBY glitch pokemon. Add a very hard and hidden way to get the ones you can't get legitimately, something someone can only discover by pure luck.
I don't really plan on adding glitches to the game, if I can help it. You will be able to get Mew legitimately, though. I think it's going to be in the mystery cave in Blue version, while Mewtwo is in Red version.
Not even the MissingNO? Its part of the pokedex #000 its also legitimately obtainable, goto the old man, he shows you how to catch PKMN then fly to Cinnabar island and surf on the east side right next to the shore untill you get it.
MissingNO does have a set method for getting it, but it is still a glitch, nonetheless. It's bad to purposefully add glitches to a game unless you are trying to replicate it completely. However, I'll bet that this version will have its own fun glitches to discover. Smile
My plan is to make the game playable and as close to the original as possible. Adding glitches is something I can do if I have the room to do so.

Page 14 of 14
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours