I just saw this over on io9, and thought it was pretty cool. No, don't go looking. See if you can figure out what happened to the "missing square". Obviously it would be polite if any speculation is "spoiler-colored" or in super small text, for those who don't know but want to figure it out on their own.
I've seen this ancient riddle too many times to count, so I won't give it away. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
I've seen this ancient riddle too many times to count, so I won't give it away. Wink

And I thought I was relatively "up" on math riddles...
KermMartian wrote:

ME too :/
I actually just noticed now, by zooming in on a few certain lines in those triangles Wink varying slopes between those top two triangles really cuts out a square, doesn't it? Smile
The blue section of the second triangle has an extra square. It is a bit longer than the section on the first triangle.

Am I correct?
DShiznit brought me over here.

My input: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=nC5CstiD

AmIrite?
The angles for the red and blue triangles are slightly different
I think I'm correct. Smile
I am so confused. If I calculate the area of the top triangle, L * W / 2, or 13 * 5 / 2, I get 32.5 sq units. But if I calculate each peace individually, 12, 5, 7, and 8, and then add them up, I get 32 sq units. If I calculate the area of the bottom configuration, but first doing L * W /2, and then subtract 1 sq unit for the one square it doesn't cover, I get only 31.5 sq units. This defies everything I learned in 5th-grade geometry!

EDIT- OHHHH I GET IT NOW. Souvik and Ashbad were right. the slope of the red triangle is 3/8, the slope of the blue triangle is 2/5, they aren't similar and thus aren't actually forming a triangle when combined! What we were assuming are 2 large triangles are actually a quadrilateral and a heptagon, and thus all the rules we've been using actually don't apply!
Night-Sky wrote:
DShiznit brought me over here.

My input: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=nC5CstiD

AmIrite?
Hint - they have the exact same surface area; nothing from the first one got lost. Smile
There. I think I got it. The slope of the red triangle is 3/8 (0.375) and the slope of the blue triangle is 2/5 (0.4). If you take the area of a right triangle with a base of 13 and a height of 5, you get 32.5. If you add up the areas of all the shapes, you get 32. In the first shape, the junction of the two triangles are slightly concave, due to the smaller slope coming before the larger. In the second shape, the junction is convex due to the larger slope coming before the smaller slope. Once you realize this, you can easily pick it out from the diagrams. Pretty cool, eh? Just copy this entire phrase in to a simple text editor.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
The blue section of the second triangle has an extra square. It is a bit longer than the section on the first triangle.

Am I correct?

All of the components are the same size between top and bottom.

Kaslai wrote:
There. I think I got it. Pretty cool, eh? Just copy this entire phrase in to a WYSIWYG editor.

You have it exactly right and did a good job with the explanation, except maybe your definition of WYSIWYG Wink With your post....what we see is not what we get, unless we use a plain-text editor.

I'm glad this got some of you thinking hard, and that several of you have produced correct answers!
Elfprince13, I agree that mathematical riddles are always fun and a good way to get the brain working; do you have any other ones for us? Actually, come to think of it, I have this one that we puzzled over for many minutes on IRC. Shaun was the first to get it, to his credit.

0000 = 4
5749 = 2
5555 = 0
2048 = 4
3084 = 4
1234 = 1
8088 = 7
1111 = 0
9999 = 4
7685 = 3
6311 = 1
8456 = ?
KermMartian wrote:
Elfprince13, I agree that mathematical riddles are always fun and a good way to get the brain working; do you have any other ones for us? Actually, come to think of it, I have this one that we puzzled over for many minutes on IRC. Shaun was the first to get it, to his credit.

0000 = 4
5749 = 2
5555 = 0
2048 = 4
3084 = 4
1234 = 1
8088 = 7
1111 = 0
9999 = 4
7685 = 3
6311 = 1
8456 = ?

This is a fascinating puzzle. Nothing is immediately obvious to me after a few minutes of looking at it, which, I guess, is why it's a riddle.

And I don't have any more math riddles off the top of my head, but I'm sure I'll remember one or two.
Kaslai wrote:
There. I think I got it. The slope of the red triangle is 3/8 (0.375) and the slope of the blue triangle is 2/5 (0.4). If you take the area of a right triangle with a base of 13 and a height of 5, you get 32.5. If you add up the areas of all the shapes, you get 32. In the first shape, the junction of the two triangles are slightly concave, due to the smaller slope coming before the larger. In the second shape, the junction is convex due to the larger slope coming before the smaller slope. Once you realize this, you can easily pick it out from the diagrams. Pretty cool, eh? Just copy this entire phrase in to a simple text editor.

I have lost all hope of what I see is what I get.
KermMartian wrote:

0000 = 4
5749 = 2
5555 = 0
2048 = 4
3084 = 4
1234 = 1
8088 = 7
1111 = 0
9999 = 4
7685 = 3
6311 = 1
8456 = ?

I looked at this puzzle this morning for a few minutes but didn't figure it out. Then I figured it out in a few seconds this evening.
8456 = 4
Amirite?
I spent longer than I needed to on this. Here is the answer I got and the process I went through.
Quote:
• 0+0+0+0 = 4, so-------------------------------------------->0 = 1
• 5+5+5+5 = 0, so-------------------------------------------->5 = 0
• 1+1+1+1 = 0, so-------------------------------------------->1 = 0
• 9+9+9+9 = 4, so-------------------------------------------->9 = 1
• 8+0+8+8 = 7,
and 0 = 1, so 8+8+8 = 7-1 = 6------------------------------>8 = 2
• 2+0+4+8 = 4,
and 0 = 1 and 8 = 2, so 2+4 = 4-2-1 = 1------------------->one of 2 or 4 = 0, and the other = 1
• 1+2+3+4 = 1,
and 1 = 0 and (2+4) = 1, so 3 = 1-1 = 0------------------->3 = 0
• 3+0+8+4 = 4,
and 3 = 0 and 0 = 1 and 8 = 2, so 4 = 4-2-1 = 1---------->4 = 1
• Since 4 = 1, 2 ≠ 1 2 = 0
• 6+3+1+1 = 1,
and 3 = 0 and 1 = 0, so 6 = 1------------------------------->6 = 1
• SO,----------------------------------------------------------->8456 = 2+1+0+1 = 4
The statements 5749=2, and 7685=3 are not needed to solve the riddle if you do it this way

I realized at the end that it was much simpler than I made it. :)
This isn't quite a riddle, but it's freaking awesome and kind of like one: http://math.univ-lyon1.fr/~borrelli/Hevea/Presse/index-en.html Mathematicians finally figured out how to construct a torus from a plane without length-distortion. It looks approximately like this and falls in between normal geometries and classical fractals:
KermMartian wrote:

I have too, and it tricked me so badly at one time, but when I got it, people would beg me for the answer. No hints from me Smile
christop wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

0000 = 4
5749 = 2
5555 = 0
2048 = 4
3084 = 4
1234 = 1
8088 = 7
1111 = 0
9999 = 4
7685 = 3
6311 = 1
8456 = ?

I looked at this puzzle this morning for a few minutes but didn't figure it out. Then I figured it out in a few seconds this evening.
8456 = 4
Amirite?

I know this one, and yes!

I like the clever way of hiding your solution, but this forum needs spoiler boxes!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours