What I am going to do is create an application of sorts for the computer, for the family business. What I need to know is, what would be the preffered language?

What it needs to do:

Store customer Name/Address/Phone
Store customer vehicle year/make/model/license/engine size/VIN code
Store Part numbers/descriptions/price paid/automatically increase part price via markup %/part vendor (Via a definable list from the toolbar)
Store Labor prices/description/Mechanic that performed the job

etc,etc...

There will also need to be a way to view past invoices, for reference...
PHP+MySQL. I'd be happy to help and offer guidance.
Ok, is Apache, etc available to put on a Win2000 machine? This has to be on computer, not on the internet...
Ohhhh, oh oh oh. Then I'd recommend MS Access.
I was afraid you was going to say that... The last time I played with that program was in 2002... Sad I never did get it to work correctly...

How are you guys making the comp side of gcn?
That's in Python, with wxwidgets. That could be possible, but you'd have to talk to elfprince or kllrnohj about it; I am not personally familiar with those tools.
Ok... I might just find some tutorials on using Access, to refresh my memory...
Good idea. It can be quite powerful, once you get the hang of it. I too haven't used it in many a year. Smile
yeah...

I have the 97 version, I will have to see if my friend can upgrade it to the 2000 version, which is what I played with...
Fair enough. And I know you can make entry forms, printable fillin forms, save databases for backup, etc; ie, all the stuff you need.
Hmm... My resident computer expert (One of my good friends) teaches at like 5 different school on computer stuff, I wonder if he could swipe a book about access from one of them that has a bad book... He gave me like $500 worth of books that discuss all the windows systems, how to fix corruptions ( Laughing ) etc... Smile
ROFL...The way you fix a corruption is to not put Windows on the computer in the first place. Smile
lol, which is why there was a Laughing in there. Razz

Sadly, the programs we are using do not support Linix machines...
i'd recommend python+wxPython for an easier, highlevel approach, or c++ and wxWidgets for a faster, lowerlevel, more versatile approach

Python is by far the easiest of the two to setup and get going with, so do yourself a favor, head over to python.org, and start reading some of the tutorials they got Wink

wxWidgets has built in databasing support for a variety of DB's (including Access and MySQL)

here's some reading on the databases: http://wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.6.2/wx_odbcoverview.html

or if you don't want it stored in a database, you could create a python list[dictionary] array and save/load it using pickle

Code:
import pickle

myCustomers = [{"Name": "Customer1", "Address": "123 Fake St", "Phone": "123-456-7890", "Vehicle Year": "1969", etc...}, {"Name": "Customer2", "Address": "456 Real St", "Phone": "098-765-4321", "Vehicle Year": "2006", etc...}]

dbfile = open("myCustomersFile", 'w')
pickle.dump(myCustomers, dbfile)
dbfile.close()

dbfile = open("muCustomersFile", "r")
myCustomers = pickle.load(dbfile)
dbfile.close()

myCustomers.append({"Name": "Customer3", etc...})

and to access elements

Code:
print myCusomers[1].get("Name")
print myCustomers[0]["Phone"]
//either of the two methods is acceptable

myCustomers[0]["Name"] = "JoeBob"
myCustomers[1]["Address"] = "Homeless"

And the best part about C++/Python and wxWidgets/wxPython is that its all free, so even if you end up hating it, at least you didn't waste any money Wink
Thanks, I will certainly look into this... Very Happy
I with Kerm on Access though. Either that, or the OpenOffice.org equivelent. You need a database really. You could attempt to do it in excell, but it wouldn't be as nice
rivereye wrote:
I with Kerm on Access though. Either that, or the OpenOffice.org equivelent. You need a database really. You could attempt to do it in excell, but it wouldn't be as nice

*cough, wxWidgets has built in databasing support for a variety of DB's (including Access and MySQL), cough* Laughing
Kllrnohj wrote:
rivereye wrote:

*cough, wxWidgets has built in databasing support for a variety of DB's (including Access and MySQL), cough* Laughing

I think I'd agree with kllrnohj then. Smile
What computer language would be best to create a 2d platform game. Example Cave story, which if you have not played I highly recommend. Link to cave story for free on Pc : http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/
Zerocode wrote:
What computer language would be best to create a 2d platform game. Example Cave story, which if you have not played I highly recommend. Link to cave story for free on Pc : http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/

Adventure Game Studio

www.bigbluecup.com

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours