This is a bit of a long shot of a request. I have a DVD that contains unknown data. Could be video, could be pictures. My xbox360, dvd player and computer all ignore the disc. I can plainly see there is something on it, but I am uncertain what I might be able to do to recover this media.

Any thoughts that I can try, or maybe a program that will look at it no matter what the computer thinks?
Try hxd with its raw drive view. That might work.
If the drive's firmware refuses to acknowledge the disk, no amount of software will convince it to think otherwise. You could try the Brasso or toothpaste methods (for example, described here).
Sadly, that does not seem to work on discs that the computer thinks isn't in the optical drive. :<

Edit

Sorry, hadn't seen Kerm's post.

The DVD is in mint condition, no scratches or otherwise.
tifreak8x wrote:
Sadly, that does not seem to work on discs that the computer thinks isn't in the optical drive. :<

Edit

Sorry, hadn't seen Kerm's post.

The DVD is in mint condition, no scratches or otherwise.
What kind is it, DVD+/-RAM, DVD-RAM, maybe even Blu-Ray? What kind of drive do you have?
It's a Maxell DVD-R 16x speed.

And scratch that on the scratches. If you put it up at an angle, you can see strange hairline cracks? Scratches? Don't know, but it looks really strange, never seen them on a DVD before.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours