So I recently downloaded binpac8x v1.3 from ticalc.org, for the purpose of turning .bin files generated by the TASM assembler into .8xp files for my calculator. I was using devpac8x, but realized that it only works for 32-bit Windows, and I'm running a 64-bit Windows 7 machine. Anyway, I've created a simple clrscreen.z80 assembly file that clears the calculator screen, assembled it using TASM into clrscreen.bin, and then converted to clrscreen.8xp with binpac8x. But when I run the program (on an emulator) the calc returns a "version" error. What does this mean?
You should be using the Doors CS SDK, because you also need an assembler that works well on 64-bit Windows, and the DCS SDK has everything you need. You can grab the SDK here (it includes Brass and BinPac8x):

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/341/34192.html
Ok, I've also heard that SPASM is a pretty good assembler but I havn't had any luck with it in the past. The main reason I'd like to stick with TASM though, if possible, is because I'm following a tutorial on z80 assembly programming that uses it to assemble. Is it possible to continue using my current TASM/binpac8x combo?
I believe the DCS SDK contains TASM.

Basically, it's everything you need all in one place.
Ok thank you very much, I've downloaded DCS SDK now. I suppose I'll look through the PDF document and come back here if I have any other questions:P
techboy6601 wrote:
I believe the DCS SDK contains TASM.

Basically, it's everything you need all in one place.
It actually uses Brass, but it's compatible with TASM. It will make everything super easy: you put your source files (say, myprog.asm) in the /source/ directory. You pop open a terminal in the main SDK folder and type "compile myprog" (not compile myprog.asm). A .8xp will appear in the /exec/ directory.
Posted: 26 Oct 2012 03:28:58 pm
Posted: 26 Oct 2012 03:28:59 pm

So close! =3
Ok wait, so now I'm running another test program that includes the ti83plus.inc file, and I'm getting an error on the command prompt that says:
Error: Could not open file C:\Users\Daniel\Downloads\dcs_sdk\asm\tasm\?ti83plus.inc?
Error: Error in file '?ti83plus.inc?' [zztemp.asm:2]

followed by a bunch of other instruction/label not understood errors...
Could you post (1) What command you're running (including which folder you're in and (2) the segment of code from your asm program that includes the ti83plus.inc file, inside [code] tags?
The file program1.asm, which is supposed to display the sum of 7+4, contains the following code and is located in the directory C:\Users\Daniel\Downloads\dcs_sdk\asm\source:

Code:
#include “ti83plus.inc”
.org 40339
.db t2ByteTok, tAsmCmp
NumberSeven .equ 7
NumberFour .equ 4
B_CALL _ClrLCDFull
ld a, NumberSeven
; Solve the problem 7 + 4
add a, NumberFour
ld h,0
ld l, a
B_CALL _DispHL
B_CALL _getKey
B_CALL _ClrLCDFull
ret
ok scratch that...that program was written for the SPASM assembler so it probably shouldn't work with DCS SDK anyway. How about this file though...hello.asm, located in the same directory. Obviously it's just a hello word program, but when I run it with an emulator I get a "syntax" error on the calc screen when I run the program. Here is the code for that program:

Code:
.nolist
#include "ti83plus.inc"
#define    ProgStart    $9D95
.list
.org    ProgStart - 2
    .db    t2ByteTok, tAsmCmp
    b_call(_ClrLCDFull)
    ld    hl, 0
    ld    (PenCol), hl
    ld    hl, msg
    b_call(_PutS)            ; Display the text
    b_call(_NewLine)
    ret

msg:
    .db "Hello world!", 0
.end
.end
Perhaps it's due to the fact you have two .end's?
techboy6601 wrote:
Perhaps it's due to the fact you have two .end's?
No, that's fine.

Shundra: You have two options:

(1) Asm(prgmHELLO) (you can find Asm( in the CATALOG)
(2) Install Doors CS. Its HomeRun hook will remove the need to use the Asm( token.
nope:/ Just erased that and it still returns a syntax error
AAAAA yes the Asm( token worked!!! Thank you thank you thank you!
shundra9 wrote:
AAAAA yes the Asm( token worked!!! Thank you thank you thank you!
No problem. I would recommend checking out what extra stuff Doors CS can do for you, but no pressure. Smile Now, I hope you'll also be coming to us with your z80 ASM questions!
definitely! ur guys' response time is excellent!
We try our best Wink
Actually hey, one other thing I'm looking for is a program editor that works like TI Graph Link but can work on a 64 bit machine. Do you know of any?
You mean one that works for TI-BASIC? Tokens is a wonderful IDE I'm using right now: http://merthsoft.com/tokens.zip

If you want something for ASM, give the TI app debugger a shot (It's on TI's website and has its own emulator)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours