Do you want saxjax to send a channel notice for posts & joins?
Yes
 36%  [ 4 ]
No
 45%  [ 5 ]
Just joins, but not posts
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Kerm, would you please change saxjax's IRC-side to use NOTICE instead of PRIVMSG for non-speaking actions such as new posts and joins/parts?

comic: Added poll.
chronomex wrote:
Kerm, would you please change saxjax's IRC-side to use NOTICE instead of PRIVMSG for non-speaking actions such as new posts and joins/parts?
I'd be happy to, but would you mind explaining what difference that will make? I presume that it's for filtering purposes?
Yes, it would cause the window to not light up in IRC clients such as irssi unless there is actual talk going on.
I think I have implemented this properly. I really hope it works!

Edit: Very mixed reactions so far. Everyone, please post how it looks for you in your client.
God no. We don't need it to be a notice. It still shows up in the chat count and my client notifies me when a notice happens, because it's - well - a notice.
Great, thanks! <3
Quote:
-saxjax:#cemetech- (C) *chronomex added a post in [Saxjax IRC bridge change request] http://cemete.ch/p194009#194009
elfprince13 wrote:
Quote:
-saxjax:#cemetech- (C) *chronomex added a post in [Saxjax IRC bridge change request] http://cemete.ch/p194009#194009

Quote:
Notice from saxjax: (C) *elfprince13 added a post in [Saxjax IRC bridge change request] http://cemete.ch/p194011#194011

I don't get what's going on, elfprince.
Quote:
[22:07:40] *** -saxjax@#cemetech- (C) *comicIDIOT added a post in [Saxjax IRC bridge change request] http://cemete.ch/p194012#194012
That's what I see too. But my normal text is white on black, and that shows up in red text instead.
Notices cause highlights in konversation, the same as notifying me if someone was trying to highlight me. I vote no.
I think I'll wait a little bit before making an official vote, but I'm not a huge fan right now.
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:
[22:07:40] *** -saxjax@#cemetech- (C) *comicIDIOT added a post in [Saxjax IRC bridge change request] http://cemete.ch/p194012#194012
That's what I see too. But my normal text is white on black, and that shows up in red text instead.

Ditto.
I don't see any benefit to this. The previous method of not differentiating posts from anything else from saxjax was perfect. I don't think we should be over using the notices here. I think notices would be great channel muting or something channel related.

Added a poll per requests. Also:

Quote:
(#) AHelper0: Runer112: muting saxjax helps

Perhaps if saxjax is split into a few bots, so someone could just mute saxposts, saxjoin and/or saxsay?
Quote:
Yes, it would cause the window to not light up in IRC clients such as irssi unless there is actual talk going on.
A PRIVMSG and NOTICE are nearly the same, except the NOTICE can be sent to a server without a server response (nice for spamming or automation). This is client-dependant and may benefit some and not others. for example, some irc clients will have all notices sent to your current window. You can be notified of saxjax activity in all other channels, queries, etc. in some clients, highlighted in others, or be hidden in others.

Since all clients handle PRIVMSG the same, I would recommend keeping messages sent from saxjax as a PRIVMSG for the sake on not having the basis of this change on the features of select IRC clients.
I get this:

I don't like it since it shows up in red...
This is what it looks like in my irssi configuration (which should be pretty close to default):
I think irssi varies with your local terminal settings, because the same irssi instance in the same screen session looked different for me between OS X and Linux.
It sounds basically like everyone with irssi likes this, and everyone else hates it. I'm inclined to want to drop it, because I am not a fan of bots that abuse notices. It's unfortunate, because the original IRC RFC states that NOTICEs should be like PRIVMSG, but for bot-generated traffic.
AHelper wrote:
Since all clients handle PRIVMSG the same, I would recommend keeping messages sent from saxjax as a PRIVMSG for the sake on not having the basis of this change on the features of select IRC clients.
My thoughts exactly, treating them differently causes more issues than it solves since as AHelper said. There are ways to tell irssi and other script-able clients to not mark specific people as activity to solve chronomex's issue without have to deal with the headache that is all IRC clients treating notice's differently. Most client's I've used treat notices more like highlights than ignored messages which is the exact opposite effect we were looking for.

Edit: After seeing how weechat handles it its not as bad as I originally thought and since the RFC does state that I'm inclined to vote keep it to see how many IRC clients handle it unfavorably.

My client, Linkinus, handles NOTICEs fine and differently than anything else, but I think it's not a good idea to abuse a NOTICE.

One person wanted it changed, and now we have multiple people wanting it back to how it was.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours