Tilemap storage (The Easy Part):

Your array of tiles should be stored as a 2d array, with a skewed x/y axis. This is pretty straightforward.

Rendering (The Slightly Tricky Part):

For rendering, we shift to a surface that's been cut from a body-centered cubic lattice. Notice that the (x,y) coordinates of each cell have remained the same, and that for each cell, x+y=-z. The large numerals represent the coordinates at the center of that cube (which is projected into our rendering as a hexagon), and the small numerals represent the coordinates of that vertex. The drawing formulas (and converting screen-space coordinates backwards) depend on your choice of projection and rendering technique, but there are 2 basic approaches. The simple way looks something like this (assuming you have a bunch of 2d images with transparency around the hexagonal images):

Code:

for(j=0;j<num_rows;j++)
{
  for(i=0;i<num_cols;i++)
  {
    drawTile(tile_map_imgs[j][i],x=(i-j)*cos(π/3),y=(i+j)*sin(π/3));
  }
}

The other one is a proper orthographic transformation (in theory, a perspective transformation ought to work too, but it might produce odd looking results). For every point you want to render you apply these transformations:

Code:

x_out = cos(b)*x-sin(b)*y,
y_out = -sin(a)*sin(b)*x+cos(a)*y-sin(a)*cos(b)*z

The usual choices of a and b for isometric projection are a=cos⁻¹(√(2/3)) and b=π/4

Yielding:

Code:

x_out = .7071067811*x-.7071067813*z,
y_out = -.4082482905*x+.8164965809*y-.4082482904*z

Rotation by 120° in screen space yields

Code:

x_out = .7071067813*x-.7071067815*y
y_out = .4082482908*x+.4082482904*y-.8164965812*z

Which should produce the grid pictured when using the down-screen is +y convention. Note that for both of these, the formula for the 2d y coordinate may need to be inverted, depending on your screen-space coordinate conventions).

Distance formulas:
This really depends on how you want to do distance. In my opinion, there are two particularly useful ones.

One for inter-tile distance counted in number of tiles:

Code:

D=max(ΔX,ΔY,ΔZ)

And one for inter-vertex distance counted in number of edges:

Code:

D=|ΔX|+|ΔY|+|ΔZ|

Useful/Important invariants:
For a tile:

Code:
x+y=-z

For a vertex:

Code:
x+y+z=±(1/2)

A value of +(1/2) means you're on a vertex that looks like Y, and a value of -(1/2) means you're on a vertex looks like λ.

Finding coordinates of the cells neighboring a Y vertex:

Code:

Cell_Above = {x,y,z}+{-0.5,0.5,0.5}
Cell_Left = {x,y,z}+{-0.5,0.5,-0.5}
Cell_Right = {x,y,z}+{0.5,-0.5,-0.5}

and coordinates of the cells neighboring a λ vertex:

Code:

Cell_Below = {x,y,z}+{0.5,0.5,-0.5}
Cell_Left = {x,y,z}+{-0.5,0.5,0.5}
Cell_Right = {x,y,z}+{0.5,-0.5,0.5}

Any questions or suggestions?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours