Back in January, I announced that I was writing "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus", my second book. I am happy to announce that the book is now complete, published, and ready to hit stores. Totaling 368 pages, 13 chapters, and three appendices, "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" is a complete guide to using your graphing calculator. It covers everything from the simplest arithmetic up through statistics, probability, precalculus, calculus, finance, programming, and more. It also provides complete information about using the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI's new color graphing calculator. To quote my publisher's official blurb about the book:

Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus is a hands-on guide to these two powerful graphing calculators. This easy-to-follow book includes terrific tutorials and plenty of exercises and examples that let you learn by doing. It starts by giving you a hands-on orientation to the calculators so you'll be comfortable with the screens, buttons, and the special vocabulary they use. Then, you'll start exploring key features while you tackle problems just like the ones you'll see in your math and sciences classes.

I was particularly interested in making it more fun and interesting than the existing reference books, including the calculator's own (very complete) manual and the Dummies-series books. Every new skill is taught and reinforced with examples and exercises, and I also teach readers how to use their graphing calculators effectively in class and on the SATs. Thanks to everyone at Cemetech, around the community, and at Manning who helped to make this companion to "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" possible.

More Information & Buy
Buy "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" on Amazon
Manning Publications' "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" information pages, including sample chapters and links to the eBook downloads.
Cemetech "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" information page

Hooray! Smile Did my quote end up getting used on the back cover?
Congratulations on your second publication! I particularly enjoyed 'Programming The TI-83+/84+,' so I hope that 'Using The TI-83+/84+' is just as good (which I'm sure it will be Smile). I think it's likely that I will be buying a copy, given that my calculator only came with a very basic, abridged manual. Well done, Kerm.
Elfprince13: Sorry, no. These were the quotes they ended up using:
Quote:
"The user manual -- but shorter, clearer, and much more entertaining!"
-- Louis Becquey, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble

"Expertly captivates readers at any level of study, and provides practical examples that students will use in their academic years and beyond."
-- Samuel Gockel, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

"The perfect complement to math and statistics courses of all levels."
-- Ryan Boyd, University of Texas at Austin

"This is THE manual for your calculator."
-- Jonathan Walker, computer science student, NDSU

Electronics: Thanks, I hope it lives up to your expectations and that it helps makes things clear for many students!
haha, looks like I was a little wordy for their taste. All good quotes though Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
haha, looks like I was a little wordy for their taste. All good quotes though Smile
Thanks. Smile Sorry that your quote didn't make it, but your input was still invaluable in helping to polish the finished product.
*bump* By the way, if any of you that received copies or grabbed it from Amazon feel like writing a (fair and balanced) review, please don't hesitate to do so; I would be very grateful. Since it just came out, it has zero reviews so far, and I'm hoping with a few reviews it will get ahead of the 3/5-star "TI-84 Plus for Dummies". Smile
Oh boy, a second book! With another round of SATs and my first year of ACT coming up, I'll have to get it as soon as I can.

My aunt is a math tutor for high school and some college students, I'm going to link this book to her and see what she has to say about it, I think it might be very useful for her, and she might recommend it to her students too Very Happy
qazz42, thanks, I appreciate it! I'd be interested to hear if she has any feedback on it, positive or negative. There's always room for an improved second edition, which reminds me that I want to update "Programming" one of these days for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition.
I wish that you would consider writing a book like this for the HP Prime. There are so many resources for the TI calculators but very few seem to exist for the HP model.
mrabourn wrote:
I wish that you would consider writing a book like this for the HP Prime. There are so many resources for the TI calculators but very few seem to exist for the HP model.
If the Prime becomes a very popular calculator and a book continues to not exist, I'll consider bringing it up with my publisher. I thought about a Prizm book, but it doesn't seem that there would be enough of an (English-language) audience for such a book.
I think TI really has monopolized the academic market and they have always supported teachers with ancillary materials, conferences, etc. But in my opinion, HP really got it right with the HP PRIME and the Nspire is disappointing to me so I hope the HP PRIME gains a significant following. However, I don't see much in the way of teaching materials and this could be a fatal mistake for HP. If you locate any good resources, I would really like to be notified. Thank you.
Hi, Kerm. I found a "Using the TI-84 Plus" preorder on amazon, is it second edition of this book? Should I wait for the preorder publish or just take this one, which already selling?
memleaks wrote:
Hi, Kerm. I found a "Using the TI-84 Plus" preorder on amazon, is it second edition of this book? Should I wait for the preorder publish or just take this one, which already selling?
The preorder-able one is indeed a second edition of the book; it actually headed off to the publisher nine days ago now, so it should be rolling off the presses soon. The new edition includes a lot more information on the TI-84+CSE and TI-84+CE.
Great, I'll wait for UTI84 SE Laughing
I'm getting familiar with my calculators, thanks!
Awesome!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours