I'm fairly certain the title speaks for itself, but if not, here you go.

Download here

The Doors CS 8 Icon Creator is a utility for the upcoming Doors CS 8 for the TI-84+ CSE that will help programmers create cool looking color icons to display on the DCS8 desktop. As some might have already seen from watching the Doors CS 8 brainstorming thread, the progress of DCS8 is already allowing for sweet looking icons:

And to help programmers make something awesome more easily, to make it so all you have to do is Rcl a string variable into a program header, I present you with the start of an icon creator:

The icon will be displayed/created with an image size of 3:1, so it makes it far easier to see and manipulate your sprite. Also, it's just easier to use Pt-On('s 3x3 block size for such things Very Happy

Anyways, thoughts?
I would just make sure to include a preview mode where you can see it as 1:1 instead of 3x.
That could easily be added, just to the left of that box Smile Though I think for speed's sake, I'll make it something you can push a button and it will generate/update that portion of the screen.
tifreak8x wrote:
That could easily be added, just to the left of that box Smile Though I think for speed's sake, I'll make it something you can push a button and it will generate/update that portion of the screen.
I think you're better off making it real-time. A second Pt-On or Pt-Off command each time a pixel in the icon is changed is a pretty minor overhead, I should think.
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
I think you're better off making it real-time. A second Pt-On or Pt-Off command each time a pixel in the icon is changed is a pretty minor overhead, I should think.

Yeah, I gave it some thought, I know exactly how to implement it real time. I was actually going to amend the post saying as such :p
I am glad this is being remade for the CSE.

About DCS8 icons: is there any way to avoid using hex for them? Like making a .ico file (that is actually a program or appvar) and associating it with the program? because that would be a lot of hex.
Kerm will have to answer that one, though I'm pretty sure that's a no. It's only 256 characters, which isn't the worst thing ever.

On a side note, I have 3 little things to finish up, write up a readme, and this can be dropped into the archives.

So, what do you think of this as an icon for the program? This icon was generated by DCS8IC and displayed by DCS8 Smile

Readme and such will be put up tomorrow.
CalebHansberry wrote:
About DCS8 icons: is there any way to avoid using hex for them? Like making a .ico file (that is actually a program or appvar) and associating it with the program? because that would be a lot of hex.
Yes, it's 256 bytes, but that's not THAT bad, especially given that you'll be using a tool like TIFreak8x's program, SourceCoder, or TokenIDE to generate the icon in most cases anyway. The indirection and extra files to transfer to put the icon data in an appvar or program just wouldn't be worth the effort to the programmer and confusion for the user, in my opinion. tl;dr: No. Smile
Would like to point out that the Doors CS 8 Icon Creator is available for download here.

Give it a whirl and let me know what you think! Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated!
KermMartian wrote:
CalebHansberry wrote:
Yes, it's 256 bytes, but that's not THAT bad, especially given that you'll be using a tool like TIFreak8x's program, SourceCoder, or TokenIDE to generate the icon in most cases anyway. The indirection and extra files to transfer to put the icon data in an appvar or program just wouldn't be worth the effort to the programmer and confusion for the user, in my opinion. tl;dr: No. Smile

Perhaps if you're running them from Archive, you should copy to RAM in a manner that omits the header data.
We might want to drop some of that off to the brainstorming thread :p No offense.

If anyone has any suggestions to add for this project, I'd be very happy to hear them Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
If anyone has any suggestions to add for this project, I'd be very happy to hear them Smile
Does the version you released have the quote in the icon? I tested it in my current DCSE8 build (great job, it works very nicely!) and the icon was the default BASIC one.
Yes, I gave you that version immediately after I ran into that error, remember? Smile I fixed it right after you said you added quote support Smile

And thanks!
Does it show you the hex, like before, or create a Basic program with it in it, like SISB?
This stores the hex in Str0, and also displays it on the homescreen. It's mostly meant for you to Rcl it directly into your project oncalc. You can also save Str0 to your computer and use SourceCoder 3 to open it and copy it to your project that way.
CalebHansberry wrote:
Does it show you the hex, like before, or create a Basic program with it in it, like SISB?
It can't directly create a BASIC program unless he packaged the entire Celtic 2 CSE with it, because Doors CSE 8 doesn't (yet?) expose any hybrid libraries.
To be honest, I had considered doing that, but I've decided I'd prefer this program not have any external dependencies. If there is enough demand for it, I could add it in, I suppose.

Edit:

I've made icons for checkers and TIFC. I have an idea for one for connect 4, and still need to poke ideas at one for the president database. I'll try to get it all set up in their respective programs later and show off screenshots of them being seen from Doors 8 Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
To be honest, I had considered doing that, but I've decided I'd prefer this program not have any external dependencies. If there is enough demand for it, I could add it in, I suppose.
If you did, I would suggest either waiting for Hybrid libraries from DCSE8 or let me make you a tiny ASM program that just creates a program with the name in StrX and fills it with the contents of StrY.
I'll keep that in mind, but I'm not sure there's overly much need to really add to this program further. We'll just have to wait and see what the public wants, I guess Smile

Also, I've updated my programs to include DCS8 icons:

What do you think? They were all made with my little program Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours