DJ_O wrote:
Bug report for the emulator: When you hit CTRL+C to copy particularly large code (19 KB, for example) from the program editor to somewhere else (such as Notepad), the emulator crashes. This makes it impossible to distribute source code of large programs.

Here's a workaround:

Run the connectivity kit. Right click on the emulator (in the conn. kit) and select refresh. Find the program or app in the conn. kit and open the file. You _should_ be able to copy and paste from the conn. kit.
Oh right I forgot about that. I assume I don't need the calc, right? (Since mine has just shipped on Sept 28th and might be at the mercy of slower customs/postal services, thanks to the US Government shutdown)

EDIT: I can't find any emulator icon/option in the connectivity kit?
You need both the emulator and the conn. kit running. Either program can be loaded first. As soon as the emulator is up, the conn. kit will detect it like an actual calculator. The conn. kit is separate from emulator, in case that wasn't clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ffNmUbUEI

Go to about 4:00 mark.
Sadly there seems to be compatibility issues between the connectivity kit and my computer, because that's all I get no matter what I try (it can't detect the emulator regardless of in which order I start both):

I downloaded my copy from TI-Planet archives (which then asked me to update), and I use Windows 7 64 bit.
DJ_O wrote:
Sadly there seems to be compatibility issues between the connectivity kit and my computer, because that's all I get no matter what I try (it can't detect the emulator regardless of in which order I start both):

Well, running unreleased software that was never meant to be public...

Better location to download. ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/
DJ_O wrote:
I downloaded my copy from TI-Planet archives (which then asked me to update), and I use Windows 7 64 bit.
Seems like TI-Planet re-hosting manufacturers' software always ends badly. Isn't that even against the license? Anyway, thanks to Tim for that official link!
Ok that seems to be the right version now. IIRC the one on Ti-Planet was from a Chinese website, but I thought they had changed the download link to a redirect to official links.

EDIT: Ok it works now it seems. Thanks for the link Very Happy
Quote:
Seems like TI-Planet re-hosting manufacturers' software always ends badly.

Though this file was indeed re-hosted at some point, "always" is obviously an inappropriate word. A large number of versions of TI's software wouldn't be available anymore if it weren't for TI-Planet linking them to hidden locations on TI's site when possible / re-hosting them...
For this file, it looks like the solution is to upload a new archive with an external link, now that it can be hoped to be reasonably stable.

Quote:
Isn't that even against the license?

JFYI, TI-Planet cares more about showing the license of an archive to users than other community download portals, starting with yours, do Wink
We've have a license field for a while, which can be set by the uploader (it usually is for TI's software, among others). The license of the program is linked from the dowload pages, see for yourself e.g http://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=3718 (external link, TI's license), http://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=12547 (TI-Planet creation, GPLv2). It doesn't fix old files automatically, of course.
Just a few words about all this Smile

- DJ_O : whatever the version, I've never had problems detecting the Prime / Emu, in the ConnKit software....

- Are you sure the ConnKit in the software is actually the HP Prime one ... ? It looks like the 39gII one Wink (Which would explain the detection issue...)

- The TI-Planet hosted file is actually the same as the ftp's one. We keep up pretty well with updates Wink I've also included a link to the ftp anyway.

- Ans yep, for a while now we've offered uploaders many licenses choice for their programs ; When uploading someone else's work (which is quite rare anyway), it's generally for the purpose of actually saving his work, as a backup for the future and linking to the original site when possible. In fact, undergoing changes in the TI-Planet's archives' DB is going to show that even more.
Lionel Debroux wrote:

For this file, it looks like the solution is to upload a new archive with an external link, now that it can be hoped to be reasonably stable.

That is a fixed location where the automatic update tools check for versions. So yes, should be quite stable.

However, the filename will change as new versions are posted there. So the old installer link directly will not be valid permanently.
adriweb wrote:
Just a few words about all this Smile

- DJ_O : whatever the version, I've never had problems detecting the Prime / Emu, in the ConnKit software....

- Are you sure the ConnKit in the software is actually the HP Prime one ... ? It looks like the 39gII one Wink (Which would explain the detection issue...)

- The TI-Planet hosted file is actually the same as the ftp's one. We keep up pretty well with updates Wink I've also included a link to the ftp anyway.

- Ans yep, for a while now we've offered uploaders many licenses choice for their programs ; When uploading someone else's work (which is quite rare anyway), it's generally for the purpose of actually saving his work, as a backup for the future and linking to the original site when possible. In fact, undergoing changes in the TI-Planet's archives' DB is going to show that even more.
As said in my previous post edit, I got it working now with the alternate download. The TI-Planet download was actually the 39gII version in my screenshot when I tried to download it the other day. Maybe it was a cache issue in Opera. The other one worked nicely, although I have to make sure to keep the emulator closed, start the connectivity kit first then the emulator, else it won't get detected.
Within the "Advanced Graphing" app, if the calc is in RPN mode, you cannot enter expressions (sentences) without the calc giving a syntax error. Setting calc to "Textbook" mode fixes the issue.
cjpembo wrote:
Within the "Advanced Graphing" app, if the calc is in RPN mode, you cannot enter expressions (sentences) without the calc giving a syntax error. Setting calc to "Textbook" mode fixes the issue.
That's a pretty serious error. I hope they notice your post and fix that, for the sake of all the hardcore RPN lovers out there.
And.... after 1 day of lite use, a keyboard button is "malfunctioning". The keys are supposed to make a "click" when pressed down and are silent when released. One key is now doing the opposite; silent down and clicking up. Printed a UPS return label on Amazon and shipping it back Sad

Anybody else think the keys are a little flimsy feeling? Why didn't they just use the HP50g key design?

I've never had a key go bad before in 20 yrs... HP35, HP48sx, HP48gx, HP49g (go ahead and laugh), and HP50g.
I didn't have any troubles yet, same for people on HP Museum it seems, but I hope they didn't use the same keyboard as the HP 49g from 1999.
DJ_O wrote:
I didn't have any troubles yet, same for people on HP Museum it seems, but I hope they didn't use the same keyboard as the HP 49g from 1999.
I too haven't encountered any problems with my Prime's keyboard yet, but I'll certainly post if I do.
Even a few keys on my HP 50gs seem flimsy at times. Haven't had any actually break yet, though my newer 50g has a couple of keys which have turned "mushy" for some reason.

But seriously, keyboards have been around for over a century. Companies *ought* to know how to make them by now!
what do you recommend me more, the HP PRIME or the TI NSPIRE CX CAS?
lesavntura wrote:
what do you recommend me more, the HP PRIME or the TI NSPIRE CX CAS?
This is not the correct thread for this question; this thread is for bug reports. I recommend you create a new topic in this subforum with your question. Please also explain what you'll be using the calculator for.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours