I'm considering adding Google Adsense unobtrusively somewhere on the page to recoup some server costs, since the donations button requires actual user interaction, maybe on the bottom next the the (C) line. Gimme some feedback and comments. Would this be a big problem? How about making it display only on 1/2 the pages?
better yet: put it right underneath the navigation bar and the forum search icon.
Yeah, but that's really intrusive. I'd like to make it as lowkey as possible, if I do it at all.
hey! the donate button is gone.

also, Yahoo! ads evidently generate more revenue. its what UTI uses.
Shock methinks you need new glasses re: uti...
whoaahh..when did that happen?
rofl...

You have to make sure that you don't try to make people click on the ads if you do it. Calcgames got in trouble because of mine and certain others sites because of that...
they've always had Google Ads iirc...
@Dan: orly? Hahaha.
Well, it wasn't really in trouble, they just got a message warning them to have it all fixed in 72 hours... I fixed it as soon as I found out, which was about an hour after it was posted...
Have what fixed? What was the problem exactly?
Message: Please click on the ads below to help with server costs.

That isn't allowed, and google found out. I didn't know either, so they just told me to fix it...
KermMartian wrote:
they've always had Google Ads iirc...
@Dan: orly? Hahaha.

the ads seem to be gone altogether, however for a long time it said "ads by Yahoo!" instead of "ads by Google"

ACC mentioned it on IRC once
So what's the verdict? Would ads bother you guys?
KermMartian wrote:
So what's the verdict? Would ads bother you guys?

not really, but my question is more do you really NEED ads? i mean this site currently costs what, $30 a YEAR? (or with a better host $50-$60/year) most people's monthly cell phone bill is twice that...

i mean, thats like $3 a month, its not exactly expensive. If you are really hurting for the money (i mean, you know, $3 can buy some good candy!) then by all means put ads here. Otherwise, leave em off
I'm not particularly hurting for money, but it would be good from a business point of view to have the site pay for itself.
KermMartian wrote:
I'm not particularly hurting for money, but it would be good from a business point of view to have the site pay for itself.

but this isn't a business, its a hoppy site, and i'm assuming you do this for fun, and not to make money Wink
It could eventually lead to money making...
KermMartian wrote:
It could eventually lead to money making...

Not without selling something, and if you are selling something (thereby becoming a business), you wouldn't need ads because you'd make profits off of the product.
i do consider it a business though, so that's why I was thinking ads might be appropriate to make it break even.
KermMartian wrote:
I do consider it a business though, so that's why I was thinking ads might be appropriate to make it break even.

have you ever seen a business site with ads on it? (i mean not for stuff they sell, but for other companies)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours