I am working on a text pokemon game. I want to have many pokemon, and I am striving to get (at least) all 151 gen 1 pokemon. Currently, my problems are:
NOT ENOUGH STRINGS
TAKES UP TOO MUCH MEMORY
Also, I want to add multiplayer with GetCalc, but I don't know how. Please help.
Optimizing one's program is an important step in something as large as this. My Pokemon game is sitting over 110KB in size, and has achieved this because it uses small amounts of assembly assistance, and I've learned to utilize variables in very sparse ways. Reusing variables and lists over and over for all sorts of things are important.

As to the use of GetCalc, it's not something I've spent a lot of time with, but it's not exactly something that would be good for much.
Yes, but 110KB is still very large in ram (at least for BASIC). What if someone had no OS to run an archived program? Then they wouldn't be able to use the program. Mine is sitting at around 8kb in size, about half the ram.
The 83+/84+ has about 23kb of usable RAM, and varying degrees of flash rom for storage. I use the flash rom for the bulk of my program data to be stored in, and use assembly programs to access that data. A lot of my stuff has graphical data and events to deal with, hence why mine is so large.
Also, I would like a reliable way to have a 'character' move across the home/graph screen using getKey and the arrow buttons. Right now, the ones I make are either very slow or don't do anything when the up/down buttons are pressed.
Well, that's quite a simple code. This is what it could look like:

Code:
4→A
4→B
Repeat 0
getKey→M
Output(A,B,"   //Use 1 space
A-(M=25)+(M=34)→A
B-(M=24)+(M=26)→B
Output(A,B,"X   //or any character you want
End
Thanks! That's a lot better than everything I've made. It moves quickly and responsively.

Also, does the A-(M=25) part mean if getKey is 25, A-1=A?
And can I make it stop flashing?
Well, it means that if getKey=25, the value in the parentheses would be 1, thus the other value would be 0, giving you the line:
A-1+0->A

As for your second question, I have figured that out on a different program, but I deleted that program and forget the code. I'll try to figure it out.
To make it stop flashing, just add "If M" Before the Output( used to clear it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours