some people use \o/ to make it look different, which I think is highly (un)clever to do.
I always interpreted \o/ as an emoticon, which I don't have a problem with as they act as a substitute for body language.
Weregoose wrote:
QLTM—quietly laughing to myself. Use appropriately.

I use that sometimes, because it is actually what I do. Although sometimes I use it as LQTM, just depends.

I never, ever use l'ol unless I specifically spell out 0x5 to be funny. I sometimes end a sentence with lmao, because it's different. More often, I use "haha", "hehe", or a combination of both.

50% of my friends start every sentence with "xD", could it be the new l'ol?

[quote="benryves"]I always interpreted \o/ as an emoticon...]
Me too, like somebody is cheering for joy. And I interpreted o/ as someone giving a high five.
I also use \o/ as raising my arms and cheering for joy. Regarding "rofl" and "lmao" (or the extreme "lmfao"): I view all of those with the same caveats as lol. Unless you're laughing uncontrollably or rolling around on the floor, I don't consider them appropriate. As benryves says, hehe, haha, heh, or something more descriptive like "well-said" or "nice one!" is preferable.

Regarding "XD": I cannot tell you how much I despise that for a variety of objective and subjective reasons. My overall suggestion: kill it with fire.
I've seen XD a lot, it does get somewhat annoying when I see every sentence end with it. I occaisonally use "lqtm" if the current context is people getting fed up with "lol", although I use lol because it is faster to type if I'm playing a game and pop back in for a few seconds and see something that makes me laugh. I have been using "teehee" more often for when something is funny now.
I can hear lol for the sake of speed in a game; I think I've been known to exercise the same lax standards on rare occasion. I find "teehee" to have a slightly creepy undertone personally, so I don't use it that often.
"Teehee" seems like something a 13 year old manga character would say.
merthsoft wrote:

That's especially funny because my only friend that says that is Asian and 13.
merthsoft wrote:
Yeah, something like that; I think that's why I generally avoid it. Smile
The RTB forums turned "XD" into "I hate myself" last time I was there.
DShiznit wrote:
The RTB forums turned "XD" into "I hate myself" last time I was there.
Oh, that is excellent; you're making me seriously consider implementing the same here.
I wouldn't copy the phrase they use, but something equally amusing. Perhaps "Cry for Attention!" or "I have no life!"
rivereye wrote:
yeah, it is getting annoying that filter. Time for a change their Kerm.
*more superduper necrobumping*. Five years later, the filter is still in place! And the word lol has lost even more meaning since I first wrote this rant, so I don't see the filter getting removed any time soon.
lol
DJ_O wrote:
lol
Yes, I know people can get around the filter; Kllrnohj has been cursing with wo[b ][/b ]rd for years, but I still don't like it. Actually, I've been meaning to write a hack to prevent that workaround from working by doing tag stripping before censorship.
But then if I want to talk about my good friend Dick Bird, his first name will get censored!
DShiznit wrote:
But then if I want to talk about my good friend Dick Bird, his first name will get censored!
Yes indeed; you'll therefore have to use his more formal title, Richard Bird.
I think there needs to be a new way to say LMFAO or ROFL, or perhaps a better English substitute? I can't think of one though.
Ashbad wrote:
I think there needs to be a new way to say LMFAO or ROFL, or perhaps a better English substitute? I can't think of one though.

"That was pretty funny/entertaining."
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Yes indeed; you'll therefore have to use his more formal title, Richard Bird.

He prefers Dick.

Then there's Dick Cheney, Dick Tracy, Tricky Dick Nixon, Dick van Dyke, and others...

Page 5 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours