This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Cemetech News and Announcements subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Announcements => Cemetech News and Announcements
Xeda112358

Posted: 04 Apr 2012 09:07:44 am    Post subject:

I don't typically do too many news related topics, but I feel like this one is worth our attention. A little while ago, there was discussion about creating a so-called "TI-Story." This would be a history of the TI calc programming community that most of us newer members would not normally be privy to. I had taken interest in it because I have been around for five years or so, but nearly all of the great programmers of old have since moved on to families, other jobs, and generally away from the calc community. However, their feats are nevertheless remarkable and they are people that I want to emulate. As crazy as it sounds to an outsider, programmers in the calculator community like Brandon Wilson, Michael Vincent, Dan Englender and others are role models to me. They weren't just programmers. These were people that pushed boundaries, broke limits, and sought and compiled knowledge. Today, we have several community made programming languages like Axe and Grammer and amazing tools like Celtic 3 and DoorsCS 7. These would have been very difficult to make had their predecessors not been around. MirageOS, OmniCalc, xLIB. These are programs still used today because they were made by great programmers with novel ideas.

So much has happened that I cannot even begin to go over because I hardly know it all, but that is why we have TI-Story. Burr from TI-Basic Developer recently took the initiative to begin this project, and already it is starting to fill out with info. Tons of research and time have been going into it trying to locate all of the programming teams, communities, and important people. They are not limiting this to just English speaking people, either. A good chunk of our community is French and German speaking, if you did not know, and so those communities are being looked at as well.

Our community has made big news on several occasions in our short (nearly 20 years) history, from cracking an RSA to porting the ever popular Doom game. Personally, I think it's cool that we as a minority programming community can be an influence.

If you want to check out TI-Story at its current state, check it out on TIBD here. Burr already has ideas of moving it to its own Wiki with help from Kevin Ouellet (founder of Omnimaga) and Kerm Martian (founder of Cemetech).
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement