This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Sonic

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin#1

Posted: 01 Feb 2004 03:40:57 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I need a clear yes or no. Is Sonic dead?

Sorry to hear about your comp james. Sad

1. Would Sonic even be possible? Just think of the horrible ghosting, and Sonic moves so fast, would you be able to get that kind of speed to work on a calc screen?

Good luck to you guys if you are still working on this. Smile
ducttape_87

Posted: 01 Feb 2004 04:07:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure it's dead. I don't think Sonic would ever haved worked on the calc.
Calvin#1

Posted: 01 Feb 2004 05:22:56 pm    Post subject:

Those were my thoughts too. Razz
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Feb 2004 05:33:34 pm    Post subject:

There was Sonic Misadventure game that was released for the TI-92+, I recall. Unfortunatly, it didn't give any screenshots or major details, so I don't have an information on the game or how it was developed. A StH game would be --in my opinion-- the greatest and most difficult non-3D game project possible; for several practicle reasons. Tough level design. The need for fast rendering. Tricky gravity. Collision detection. All of the these factors seem to unite against the programmer in ways not seen in other game titles.

I recall attempting a Sonic project as a beginner programmer and being turned off by the daunting amount of collision-detection code needed. I think this is the reason why there are several Mario games out there, but virtually no Sonic programs. It's not that the programming talent isn't out there, it's just that there are few programmers willing and able to take on such a monster of a project.

If a Sonic project ever comes into existance, I'd imagine it'd be done through a large-scale joint project; either here at United TI or another programming group like Void Productions. In any case, I think this would be an awesome project idea and I hope to see this game at the ticalc archives someday.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 02 Feb 2004 02:59:57 am    Post subject:

Joint projects rarely work imho .... well joint coding hardly ever works anyway ... Smile.

But i feel that a Sonic game is viable on an 83(+) ... however it would have to be a simplistic rendition of the game; not as crazy as the sega versions.

The most difficult bit would be to get the physcics to work correctly and quickly. You can split the physics for Sonic up into 2 categories. The first is ordinary platformer physics ... like Mario etc. It would consist of jumping running etc. This is achieveable as we all know. The second physics implementation would apply only when Sonic is rolling. I would say that this category is more comparable to a pinball game than anything, and yes there are pinball games in existance for the 83(+) calcs.

I wouldnt say that a Sonic game is 'impossible', but yes it would be difficult. I would very much like to see a Sonic game on a calc ... it would rule!
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Feb 2004 09:25:31 am    Post subject:

well, as for join programming, you say 'ill do this" and he/she says "ill do that" then you guys get together and chat and fix the compatability issues
John Barrus

Posted: 03 Feb 2004 06:47:52 pm    Post subject:

It seems like the Sonic that James was working on is dead. I'm willing to try and take it up again though.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 03 Feb 2004 10:32:38 pm    Post subject:

John, i have complete confidence in your ability to take on this project...

Good luck, if you do take it on!
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Feb 2004 10:51:49 pm    Post subject:

A basic rendrition of an early Game Gear title should be a promising start. Maybe you can retrieve some documentation from the James version and plan your direction from there.
nether fish

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 11:10:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't think Sonic would ever haved worked on the calc.

oh... it works on the calc...

http://arche.dyndns.org/~technic/index.php?id=7
ducttape_87

Posted: 04 Feb 2004 11:59:27 pm    Post subject:

What I meant was I don't think it could ever work on an 83+

Man that game looks RADICAL! Too bad I don't have any of those calculators to play it. Sad
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2004 12:08:23 am    Post subject:

Surprised GOOD LORD!! That's the best thing I've ever seen! I had a suspicion SMA was good, but never this elaborate! As a long-time Sonic fan, I must say I'm impressed. I can almost hear the "Emerald Hill" theme coming from behind the monitor! Tell me, is this project still under development? Laughing
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 06 Feb 2004 02:18:29 am    Post subject:

WOW. Don't you think that's a bit of an understatement, Digi? That's awesome dude. The backround is awesome too. I wonder if it's possible on the 83. No doubt it would have to be greyscale. That's way sweet dude!
X1011

Posted: 06 Feb 2004 06:10:21 pm    Post subject:

It probably couldn't be greyscale, because it would be too slow.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Feb 2004 06:40:21 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
I can almost hear the "Emerald Hill" theme coming from behind the monitor!  Tell me, is this project still under development? Laughing

Eh that's cause it is playing. Turn up your volume. Very Happy

Spyderbyte
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2004 07:09:51 pm    Post subject:

Well, when I read the post the first time, I was at a library computer lab (midis disabled).
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Feb 2004 08:17:06 pm    Post subject:

Hey there is another project goin on at OLS that involves with sonic check it out!
X1011

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 04:08:41 pm    Post subject:

I found a topic talking about making sprites for sonic, but do you guys actually have any idea how you're gonna make the game?
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Feb 2004 08:11:37 am    Post subject:

Yes we do have some ideas but for now we are working on the design of the characters and the title page and the background, we havent really started coding becuase we are doing well the easy stuff first i guess! Cool
S_Sonic

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 05:46:06 pm    Post subject:

Well, if the Sonic project is pretty much dead, then I'm sure I can help. Because I told you, this is going to be the best project we'll pull off! I have no experince in ASM, but luck seems to follow me when I try, even today of all days! Ok, send me your current materials, thoughs that you may have (WordPad), and zip 'em up, 'cause I'm gonna give it my best!!! Send it over MSN messenger, 'cause that's what I have. I'm called "BCC_xLEADER BUZZING_CICADAx", got it? Good!!! Laughing
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 7 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement