This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Contra 83 => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Contra 83

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluefire

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 08:06:10 pm    Post subject:

u need to run zinstl then contra to have all those wierd lists made
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 09:06:54 pm    Post subject:

Adm.Wiggin wrote:
no, because then it would actually be MORE space.

if you recode the same function 2+ times, put it into a separate program and just call it!

actually, no. you make the start of your prog like this:

Code:
if iPart(I%) (had to find a var you werent using) = 2(pi)
Then
If fPart(I%)=.1
Then
//subroutine 1
End
If fPart(I%)=.2
Then
//subroutine 2
End
//repeat for all subroutines
Return
End
//main prog starts here

then to call, it would be:

Code:
2(pi)+.1->I%
prgmCONTRA
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 09:23:00 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy Well guys, thanks for all of your comments, and compliments

I guess I have more problems with the game then I thought through an optimization standpoint. I didnt really put much effort into it, but I guess every one noticed some things I could have done better, which is good because now I have actuall input from people who have played it. which in the end will make the game better.

But just to get a standpoint of how fun/good the game is give me a number between 1 - 10 1 being sucky and 10 being freaking awesome. Just so I can know where it stands

I will not use ASM, but Dont yell at me when the code looks ugly and noobish when I repeat Unarchive and Archive a thousand times for each level Very Happy

Ive began work on the second level and got two frames done. I also finished the snipers and I must say, they are so freaking tight. They look hot and shoot so a far. It definetely improved the game Very Happy

I will keep my subroutines the way they are because in the end they do save memory and speed things up.

Well back to work Very Happy
AndrewT
Outer Limit Software

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 09:34:02 pm    Post subject:

Well, I think it is legendary for being done all in BASIC. There isn't many BASIC platform type games out there that live up to this one. In fact... there aren't any at all!!! Quite an acomplishment I'd say. Definitely, definitely, definitely a 10 !! (Freaking Awesome) Very Happy Great work Bryan!

Last edited by Guest on 12 Feb 2004 09:36:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bluefire

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 09:43:31 pm    Post subject:

9, 10 would be if all files were in one prog, (i like the way u poof when u step on mines, also makit it go abit slower, i find it hard to just jump and move and find myself jbbing at the button so this falls just a tiny bit away from freaking awesome but it is U83R L33T) BTW get on aim
ISUCK

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 10:07:30 pm    Post subject:

i'd give it a 9.5. It's good, in fact extremely good for a basic game. I woulsn't really care if you use asm programs. Lose respect? I can somehow see that, but if you really want to improve game speed (i mean REALLY) you might wanna give it a try. I'm not saying that you will use it, just maybe you'll like it...

btw have you hearfd of Kevin whose making RL3? well he uses codex, and well... In my eyes, you won't lose any respect at all..

Whatever, this is turning into a rant. Very Happy
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 10:12:18 pm    Post subject:

Not a 10 since the code isn't perfect yet. This is still the best game I've ever played in Basic, and the other games I thought were good I would give a 5 or 6.
Duck Man

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 10:30:29 pm    Post subject:

id give a 5 but thats only cause I not a major game player on calc. If I want to play a game i will play an ASM one but I am also a programmer and from a code point I got to say 10 cause I never pictured a BASIC program doing this stuff. So you da man man.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 10:33:37 pm    Post subject:

And just so everyone knows, Duck has an 83+ SE and it was freakin impossible to get past the first screen with the game running that fast.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 11:31:18 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy HAHAHAHA dude, tell me about it. I enjoy coding on my silver edition better because I seem to get more stuff done, but the game runs so freaking fast. Im not that bad playing it since I know like every trick to playing. But it is very hard. Maybe I will release a like special silver edition, well edition haha Very Happy
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 11:41:07 pm    Post subject:

That's what I love about the SE. Yout try soooo hard on your 83+ to get the game running fast enough so it's actually somewhat fun, then your friends with SE's complain it goes too fast. I made a pong game the other day, and it went REALLY fast on the SE. Almost too fast to play. So I added a For( loop that was based on your score, so it would speed up as you got more points. Rather ingenious, I must say....Smile So anyway, maybe you could have 1 version of Contra with a few more features (don't ask me what, it's your game) so it would slow down on the SE without wasting calc power on a pointless For( loop.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 01:11:46 am    Post subject:

i give it: 11 (it gets a 12 when the code is optimised Razz)

this is by far the best BASIC game for the calculator ever!

Last edited by Guest on 13 Feb 2004 01:15:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 09:11:26 am    Post subject:

i would give it a 9 beacause it is really awesome, but definately has some room for improvement (size[opto])
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 01:56:21 pm    Post subject:

Bluefire wrote:
10 would be if all files were in one prog

How does that affect gameplay?
etherealprogrammer

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 05:12:59 pm    Post subject:

AWESOME GAME MAN!!!!

Just wondering, how many lvls are there on the demo and how many will there be?
ISUCK

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 06:13:50 pm    Post subject:

I know it's somewhere, but i think it has 9 frames and 1 level altogether..

btw... is it just me or can i not jump to the platform at teh level to the boss?
Bluefire

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 06:20:56 pm    Post subject:

i cant reach thAt platform either Neutral
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 06:33:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
i cant reach thAt platform either

It is possible, you have to remember that running and jumping makes you jump farther. So what you need to do is run to the edge and jump and move over really fast. Just make sure your leg does not go down and you will make the jump. Im sorry If i did not explain that in read me Sad

Quote:
Just wondering, how many lvls are there on the demo and how many will there be?

There is only 1 level with 9 frames in it, there will porlly be 6 levels in final release but I will make a level editor for it that will alow users to make their own levels, now that would improve the game SOOOOO much!!!

---------------------------------------------------------

Level production is going good, working on the 4th frame for the second level, and got snipers done. Im working on some speed upgrades and downsizing, and everything so far has worked out great !! Very Happy
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 08:07:41 pm    Post subject:

his code was probably unoptimised because we pressed him to release it and he didn't have time to optimise it.

note i provided a way to move all subroutines into 1 program (with the exception of 1-2 progs)

reason he has 2 copies of lists:

this is how the game works:

unarchives level lists LO0-LO9
copies to lists L1-L6 and LX, LY, LZ,L(theta)
then rearchives LO0-LO9 so it has enough memory to operate

then, as you kill enemies/blow up mines/collect upgrades *i think* it edits the lists, removing the specific item that was destroyed/collected

that way, its doesnt change the actual level (at least this is how the actual demo worked)
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 09:17:20 pm    Post subject:

It's kinda pointless right now, but it will be extremely useful when the game contains more that one level.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 7 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement