This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Provide United-TI with Feedback. => Website
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 29 Mar 2004 09:11:28 pm    Post subject:

grr. I really wish that thread could have stayed open, but...
There were a few problems that happened;

1a) It was off topic. Although that was partially my fault for helping to drag it off topic, there was also another problem here
1b) if that was sufficiently off topic to constitute a problem, it could have been rectified before it reached 6 pages

2) It began to be treated more as an argument than as a debate. (debates are more organized, calm, and have a lot of detail in each argument/ counter-argument.) Admittedly, the internet is not the most convenient place to debate, due to misinterpreted meanings, but I've seen it work better than this.
If we are ever going to have another debate of similar magnitude, it should be noted that yelling and screaming is not the answer, and everybody should try to work from that premise from the beginning. Also, if you include all of your details and evidence for any given argument the first time, it does not require 37 steps for each person to see what the other is saying. That's ~15 less times that you get aggravated at how the other person doesen't understand you, which also helps to keep it from becoming an argument. (yes, most(if not all) of us who participated made this mistake at one point or another)
Also, if an argument is not well supported, it's probably a good idea to try to find evidence for it, even if you are going to refute that evidence in another 3 minutes. This could reduce aggravation. I know it never crossed my mind at the time, but hopefully someone will remember it in the future.

However, despite the things that we all could have done better with, I would like to note that the debate didn't really spill over into any other topics or alter how we have acted towards eachother.

(Too bad that topic was closed, that was probably the best place for my post. But I suppose I wouldn't have posted this if it hadn't been locked.)
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 01:40:08 am    Post subject:

I agree this was one of my favorite threads. And I think it was partly my fault as well for dragging things off topic. But it's very inspiring to see people on both sides argue with passion without things getting too out of control--which happens alot on some other places.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 08:43:05 am    Post subject:

I agree with the closing of the topic, though not on the grounds for said closing.

I feel it was a petty thread anyway, good for a laugh, but in no way worthy of serious consideration.

And it was getting annoying, so thumbs up to the admins.
62 52 53 53

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 04:54:33 pm    Post subject:

Ok, first of all, I think that religion, whatever yours is(yes, even atheism) is more important than just "good for a laugh." If people thought it wasn't how would the thread have kept going. There are many threads up there that I would consider much more petty than that one. And just because you may think a thead is petty does not mean that any decisions should be made based on that. Second of all, I fail to understand how it can possibly have annoyed you. The only time that it could have had any relevance to you was if you looked at it, and nothing said you had to look at it. I sure hope you are capable of not going out of your way to be annoyed. So if you aren't interested, fine, but your lack of interest on one little thread out of this whole big forum isn't anything I care about. However, I feel that your happiness at the fact that it's closed just because you personally weren't interested is very interesting.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 05:11:26 pm    Post subject:

I have to agree again. I think the religious debate is one of the most important topics I've seen here; more so than the earlier political topics. And we heard some very compelling arguments on both sides. It's only one thread, so it's tendency to annoy is trivial. I realize the admin was just looking out for board unity but it still seems the topic met an untimely death.
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 Mar 2004 02:24:38 am    Post subject:

The administrator locked the topic as it was not on the original path in which it was intended. Religion is one's personal choice and I do not see it as something that is debatable. Who here thinks they have the right to say their religion is better than anyone else's? If you do think that, then you are very petty. I know that some people didn't like the passion of the christ, too gruesome, too real...

I support the administrators action 100%
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Mar 2004 10:19:20 am    Post subject:

* The "Are Dragons Real" thread strayed off topic we brought up the meaning of 'existance'.
* "The Good and Bad and the Ugly" strayed off topic after we started trying to figure out who Kerm Martian was.
*The "Basic Pi Calculator" thread went off topic when I couldn't decypher the GRAPH LINK symbols.
* The "Egyptian Temples/CPU" thread went off topic when we said societies repeat themselves.

If this thread was locked because it went off topic, then two words come to mind. "Special treatment." I realize that the Passion thread wasn't originally meant for orthodox/atheist theory, but the more I look at it, the more it seems this thread was singled out because of it's obvious "disagreeable" undertone. Discussions evolve. Who want's to talk about the same ideas over and over for 30 days? If this is the fate of each discussion that wanders away from the title, I have serious conscerns about the future of the marketplace of ideas here.

I'm not pointing fingers, I'd just like a reasonable explaination. Confused
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 31 Mar 2004 02:31:01 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:

I gave some reasons for closing that topic when I did so. If you have a problem with me or need further explaination, perhaps you should consider contacting me privately.

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Mar 2004 03:07:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ok, first of all, I think that religion, whatever yours is(yes, even atheism)

That's not a religion.

Quote:
is more important than just "good for a laugh."

I absolutely agree, but the topic contained little serious points about religion, if any at all.

Quote:
And just because you may think a thead is petty does not mean that any decisions should be made based on that.

I sure hope not, I'm all for objective modding, even though when I am truely objective people don't seem to like it.

Quote:
Second of all, I fail to understand how it can possibly have annoyed you.

Then your mental capabilities are limited.

Quote:
The only time that it could have had any relevance to you was if you looked at it

Jup.

Quote:
and nothing said you had to look at it.

So? That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to look at it at all, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be annoyed by it('s petty-ness amongst other things).

Quote:
I sure hope you are capable of not going out of your way to be annoyed.

I never want to be annoyed, though I do realise I choose to be annoyed by something, and I believe there must be a balance of things so if I'm annoyed by one thing I can be happy about another. And i'm only annoyed by things I find annoying.

Quote:
So if you aren't interested, fine, but your lack of interest on one little thread out of this whole big forum isn't anything I care about.

Good for you.

Quote:
However, I feel that your happiness at the fact that it's closed just because you personally weren't interested is very interesting.

I don't, is it? Though it isn't really happyness, more of a faint, brief sigh of relief that an annoying thread that seemed mentally retarded (in the literal sense, not the omg i'm an idiot and want to call you names kind) was closed.

I also agree with Justin.

Quote:
* The "Are Dragons Real" thread strayed off topic we brought up the meaning of 'existance'.
* "The Good and Bad and the Ugly" strayed off topic after we started trying to figure out who Kerm Martian was.
*The "Basic Pi Calculator" thread went off topic when I couldn't decypher the GRAPH LINK symbols.
* The "Egyptian Temples/CPU" thread went off topic when we said societies repeat themselves.

If this thread was locked because it went off topic, then two words come to mind. "Special treatment." I realize that the Passion thread wasn't originally meant for orthodox/atheist theory, but the more I look at it, the more it seems this thread was singled out because of it's obvious "disagreeable" undertone.

I think it's safe to say 90% of all topics go off-topic eventually, or will be allowed to stray off-topic. Others are closed because the off-topicness is the drip that floods the bucket, or at least that the way I see it.

I also agree with Alien, addressing the closing of a thread should not be made into a thread, but should be addressed by PMing whoever closed it, first anyway.

Last edited by Guest on 31 Mar 2004 03:11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 31 Mar 2004 07:56:09 pm    Post subject:

If you'd like a place to debate religion, Michael Vincent has a section at his forums for such a purpose. *click* (It's the section marked "Religion" for those who can't tell.)

Last edited by Guest on 31 Mar 2004 07:57:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
62 52 53 53

Posted: 31 Mar 2004 09:23:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think it's safe to say 90% of all topics go off-topic eventually, or will be allowed to stray off-topic. Others are closed because the off-topicness is the drip that floods the bucket, or at least that the way I see it.

I also agree with Alien, addressing the closing of a thread should not be made into a thread, but should be addressed by PMing whoever closed it, first anyway.

Why? My comments had very little to do specifically with the person who closed it. They were addressed to the whole board, as a statement of what went wrong, and how we could prevent something like that from happening again. The admin certainly understood what went wrong, and did his job. Telling Alien what I feel that the board as a whole could have done would be pointless, because he simply wasn't involved, except that he eventually was the one who ended up closing the topic.

And debating(not arguing) religion seems very important to me. If I don't let people know what I believe in, just because they happen to disagree, than I'm certainly not dedicated enough to my religion. And I feel that personal choice is debatable. If someone doesen't agree with me on anything at all, I feel that they have the right to express that and explain why. And conversely, I have the right to explain why I don't agree with their explaination. If my beliefs are never challanges, I'll never realize it if some of them are wrong.

Just because it seems petty to you does not mean that there's not an equally valid argument why they are not petty: it's just a matter of opinion. And not an opinion that I think is important enough to be the sole factor in closing a topic.(as arcane seems to believe.) I also support Alien's actions 100%. And I understand it perfectly if this opinion was a factor(not the only reason). Arcane's ideas are to extreme and self centered though.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 31 Mar 2004 10:04:04 pm    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
If you'd like a place to debate religion, Michael Vincent has a section at his forums for such a purpose.  *click*  (It's the section marked "Religion" for those who can't tell.)

for all those lazy ones :
clickity
(strait to the Religion forum)
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 Mar 2004 10:20:35 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
*  The "Are Dragons Real" thread strayed off topic we brought up the meaning of 'existance'. 
*  "The Good and Bad and the Ugly" strayed off topic after we started trying to figure out who Kerm Martian was. 

If this thread was locked because it went off topic, then two words come to mind.  "Special treatment."  I realize that the Passion thread wasn't originally meant for orthodox/atheist theory, but the more I look at it, the more it seems this thread was singled out because of it's obvious "disagreeable" undertone.  Discussions evolve.  Who want's to talk about the same ideas over and over for 30 days?  If this is the fate of each discussion that wanders away from the title, I have serious conscerns about the future of the marketplace of ideas here. 

Thanks for the suggestion, DigiTan, I have rectified the situation by closing the topics you mentioned, and I was sure to give you credit.

Please, check them out.

Again, I appologize on behalf of United-TI for not reading every topic and closing each one that gets off topic. I was certain to make corrections on the ones you mentioned.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 12:56:09 am    Post subject:

What happened here? This is supposed to be a community. The only reason the TI programming community thrives as it does is because of its free exchange of ideas. Through lively debate, and constructive critisisms. Just because we disagree on certain issues doesn't mean we have to resort to personal attacks on one another. When AlienCC closed the thread, I did not single him out for persecution. I did not cast him as the scapegoat. I calmly acknowledged that he was probably just looking out for board peace. And seeking answers, all I asked for a more detailed explaination.

Backstabbing:

JBirk, you should really learn to read my posts more carefully. My suggestion is that we leave those topics alone--in the spirit of free speech. I used to think we could debate as intellectuals. But clearly some of us are only out to draw blood. Your knee-jerk responce only exemplifies the type of intolerance and narrow-mindedness I discussed in The Passion. Rather than peice together a coherent reply to challenge me (which was appearantly too difficult ), you resort to cheap tricks. This move was cowardly at best.

Lies, Mis-Quotes and Slander:

If you would have waited another 10 minutes before going on your temper tantrum, you would have known that I was planning to apologize to the Admin in this post. But I don't appreciate being mis-quoted and slandered simply my views don't conform to yours. On the other hand, it goes against my personal credo to hold a grudge, JBirk, so I might forgive you for lying to everyone and trying to cast me as the scapegoat. People are smart; they will see through your lies.

Impulsive Censorship:

But if you must know, my main complaint is that the topic was closed with such whimsical timing. No verbal warnings were offered. No "PLZ stay on topic." No Privite Messages. No warning Email. No indication at all. By the time we knew it had gone "off-topic", it was simply too late to fix things. I find that rude.

The timing of this is also suspicious, since it clearly didn't become UTI's mission to lockdown "offtopic" threads until a strong religious perspective was presented. Then it became censorship all-around.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2004 02:35:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 06:04:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Just because it seems petty to you does not mean that there's not an equally valid argument why they are not petty: it's just a matter of opinion.
Exactly, and who is here telling me it's not right that I find it petty?

Quote:
And not an opinion that I think is important enough to be the sole factor in closing a topic.(as arcane seems to believe.)
You are getting me wrong, I never said it should be closed just because of that, but I gave a reason as to why I was glad it was closed.

Quote:
Arcane's ideas are to extreme and self centered though.
My idea's are far from extreme or self-centered, if you disagree, please back up your claims as I do not like to be called self-centered.

Quote:
JBirk, you should really learn to read my posts more carefully. My suggestion is that we leave those topics alone--in the spirit of free speech. I used to think we could debate as intellectuals. But clearly some of us are only out to draw blood. Your knee-jerk responce only exemplifies the type of intolerance and narrow-mindedness I discussed in The Passion. Rather than peice together a coherent reply to challenge me (which was appearantly too difficult ), you resort to cheap tricks. This move was cowardly at best.
But if you must know, my main complaint is that the topic was closed with such whimsical timing. No verbal warnings were offered. No "PLZ stay on topic." No Privite Messages. No warning Email. No indication at all. By the time we knew it had gone "off-topic", it was simply too late to fix things. I find that rude.
I'm afraid I have to absolutely agree with this.

Quote:
The timing of this is also suspicious, since it clearly didn't become UTI's mission to lockdown "offtopic" threads until a strong religious perspective was presented.
I don't think so, it would've been closed much sooner if that was true.

The main reason I found it petty was because there was no actual discussion, or not a proper one anyway, it reminded me of 5 year olds who discuss like 'is too' and 'is not'. I also found it annoying because as this was no real, proper, discussion, it was getting kind of obvious the tension (seemingly?) created by it would make things end like this.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 12:01:06 pm    Post subject:

I understand. Alien says it was off-topic so I'll just it at that. I'm just a bit upset that my name was slandered for no reason.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 02:39:41 pm    Post subject:

A solution that seems not to have occurred to anybody:
Once a debate goes off-topic, the off-topic part could be moved to a separate "Debate" forum where posts wouldn't count (might improve the situation by lessening random posts) and the debate would no longer be off-topic. Failing that, to make a topic for the new topic switched to. This might work.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 03:10:48 pm    Post subject:

I thought of asking to create a debate forum when we had the previous "oh noes teh topic has been teh closed!" situation and just put all debates there, but I remmber JBirk saying something about not even adding a games forum or several other suggestions for forums that would be quite on the whole calc/programming forum thing because it would clutter the board index.
62 52 53 53

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 04:05:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Exactly, and who is here telling me it's not right that I find it petty?

I'M NOT TELLING YOU THAT IT'S NOT RIGHT THAT YOU FIND IT PETTY, I'M TELLING YOU THAT I THINK IT'S NOT RIGHT THAT YOU FEEL THAT YOUR OPINION IS ENOUGH JUSTIFICATION FOR WHY IT SHOULD BE LOCKED! My explaination of why I don't think it's petty was intended just to show that not everybody feels the same way.

And an "off topic forum" is a good idea. At least if it'll be an alternative to locking everything that ever goes off topic. I understand very well that there were other factors, but locking everything else that's off topic just to help justify locking "passion" deffinately isn't right.

Oh, what, feeling that your personally lack of interest is sufficient justification for locking a thread isn't self centered? And that's not extreme, even though it's far beond the bounds of normal board moderating? Ok, I guess i'll have to add "in denial" to that list of things.

hold on, i'm thinking...
hmm...
Maybe
Quote:
I agree with the closing of the topic, though not on the grounds for said closing.
says something different than you just claimed. You agreed with it, just because you thought it was petty. No other reason. Just it was petty. And you say that it was merely a reason why you were happy about it. No, I'm sorry, it certainly was a reason for more than just you being happy, because you stated that it was why you thought the thread should be closed.

And your reason why it was petty...you say there was no real discussion. Well, I'm just as certain that there was real discussion. Sure, the real discussion may not have dominated the thread, but there was some real discussion in there. And the excessive conflict was a reason why it was closed. So if you want to say that's what was annoying/petty, you opened it up with a very poor sentence.

So, regardless of why you actually supported the closing, I had thought you were at least capable of logical, non-self-contradictory posts.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2004 04:22:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 04:23:27 pm    Post subject:

My suggestion: this topic.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement