This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Provide United-TI with Feedback. => Website
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 04:34:20 pm    Post subject:

now that's something I'm considering doing...even if I am protesting the locking of some other threads
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 04:36:01 pm    Post subject:

62 52 53 53 wrote:
Quote:
Exactly, and who is here telling me it's not right that I find it petty?
I'M NOT TELLING YOU THAT IT'S NOT RIGHT THAT YOU FIND IT PETTY, I'M TELLING YOU THAT I THINK IT'S NOT RIGHT THAT YOU FEEL THAT YOUR OPINION IS ENOUGH JUSTIFICATION FOR WHY IT SHOULD BE LOCKED!
Exactly. And you looke like an ass if/when you type in caps.

Quote:
My explaination of why I don't think it's petty was intended just to show that not everybody feels the same way.
I know.

Quote:
Oh, what, feeling that your personally lack of interest is sufficient justification for locking a thread isn't self centered?
You obviously haven't been reading what I've been saying because I've already said this before, but I never said it's petty-ness was justification for closing it, I only said I was glad it was closed and gave a reason as to why I was glad, not why I thought it was justified.

Quote:
And that's not extreme, even though it's far beond the bounds of normal board moderating? Ok, I guess i'll have to add "in denial" to that list of things.
If that where my opinion, yes it would be extreme compared to some more mainstream opinions, but it's not my opinion so I don't know why you're making such a fuss of this.

Quote:
Maybe
Quote:
I agree with the closing of the topic, though not on the grounds for said closing.
says something different than you just claimed. You agreed with it, just because you thought it was petty. No other reason. Just it was petty. And you say that it was merely a reason why you were happy about it. No, I'm sorry, it certainly was a reason for more than just you being happy, because you stated that it was why you thought the thread should be closed.
You obviously don't know finding something justified and one's opinion about something are not mutually exclusive, let me explain.

My opinion can be that I am glad that actions y is taken because of reason x, but on the same time I can feel reason x does not justify action y.

For example, I can be happy about recieving an ice-cream because I like ice-cream, but that does not mean I think it's justified to give me an ice-cream for the sole reason that I like them. Because at the same time I think I should have earned the ice-cream instead of just gotten it because I happen to like ice-cream. Reason x = liking ice-cream, action y = recieving ice-cream.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2004 04:37:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
62 52 53 53

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 04:48:16 pm    Post subject:

Sorry. I guess you just don't understand what the word "agree" means. Agreeing with that action is saying that you think it was justified. And agreeing for reason "A" is saying that you think it justified for reason "A." So if your using it to justify it, that says that you think that "A" was sufficient reason to justify it.

And I don't care if I look like an a at the moment, considering how when I typed that, you were still confused about the meaning of "agree" and seemed to me like an even bigger a. (Although I'm still not convinced that you were just ignorant of what "agree" means in that context. But i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 04:55:13 pm    Post subject:

I said I agreed with justin, and he said nothing about pettyness, and I agreed with alien about this thread not being the apropriate action to take.

And I said I agreed with the closing of the topic, so that ment I agreed with the action of closing it, but then I said I did not agree with the ground for closing it, meaning I did not agree with it being closed for off-topicness.

The pettyness stuff was just a reason/opinion that held no bonds with any grounds for closing the topic, but held bonds with why I was glad it was closed.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2004 04:59:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
62 52 53 53

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 05:03:15 pm    Post subject:

So, now that we may or may-not-have resolved this issue to everybody's liking(And I'm going to just ignore that large bit of confusion, along with my uncertainty over whether I actually agree with anything in your most recent post(I think I got lost after about the second word.)), I would like to express my support for your recent-but-temporary reopening of "Ti Basic Pi Calculator."

Of course, I'm surprised that this thread wasn't closed. After all, there was some conflict in here...

*whispers* Did I just say that out loud? Oops. Now it'll probably be closed. *normal*

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2004 05:04:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 05:10:29 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to keep from discussing anything about reopening that, it was out of line and I should've talked it over with jbirk first.

So let's keep that out of this main discussion, and continue about whatever it was about before the whole 'arcane is wrong about pettyness' stuff, ok?
62 52 53 53

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 07:37:40 pm    Post subject:

So...he closed the original for being off topic. However, the new one, which was once again continued, was staying on topic. So really no reason to close it, except to prove a point. Sure, it proves that point, but it also proves the point that we are currently being excessively moderated.

Edit: But neither of my continuations are closed. I fail to understand how exactly this system works.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2004 07:43:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 09:05:48 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps you should just move on instead of complaining about it. I mean, all of this for closing one topic? It's just one little topic. If you want to keep discussing it, get in contact with the people who were part of it and go to a different forum. Like I stated earlier, Michael Vincent has a forum with a section dedicated to religious discussions, as well as many others. Why not just relocate the discussion, as it were, to there?

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2004 09:06:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
62 52 53 53

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 09:20:45 pm    Post subject:

no, I understood closing the "passion" thread. Now 5 other threads have been closed, and for no good reason. That's the issue. I supported the closing of the first one, and there was a bit of an argument that stemmed from confusion, but now there have been virtually pointless closings. I'm against those.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 09:52:54 pm    Post subject:

Before things get out of control, maybe this should be taken into consideration?

http://forums.unitedti.org/index.php?showt...t=0&#entry24478

--AlienCC
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 11:28:07 pm    Post subject:

This forum would no longer exist if it weren't for JBirk, mostly because of the lack of appreciation shown by 99.9% of everyone here.

When redelf.net went out of business I had no intention of moving the website to another server. JBirk talked me into helping him move the website with the understanding that he would be the main server admin going forward.

As the main admin he can ultimately do whatever he wants, including removing the entire website with 1 command that would take less then 5 seconds to complete. The pressures faced by running a webserver cannot be understood by anyone until they have done so themselves with a significant userbase. To help you better understand imagine everyone (100+ people) always demanding and needing your help, and almost never even hearing a small Thankyou from any of them after you spend your time to help them out.

All actions have consequences, sometimes a bunch of small things leads up to a decision like I was making about letting this website die. So perhaps everyone should put a bit more thought into their actions before following through with them.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 11:39:13 pm    Post subject:

62 52 53 53 wrote:
So...he closed the original for being off topic. However, the new one, which was once again continued, was staying on topic. So really no reason to close it, except to prove a point. Sure, it proves that point, but it also proves the point that we are currently being excessively moderated.

Edit: But neither of my continuations are closed. I fail to understand how exactly this system works.

It works how I want it to work. If anyone has a problem, please feel free to contact me privatly without fear of retribution. Consider yourself lucky I haven't moderated any of your topics.

As for excessive moderation, I define excessive moderation. Someone said I was being unfair for not moderating various topics, so I made an adjustment.

Is everyone happy with the new system?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 11:41:45 pm    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
Perhaps you should just move on instead of complaining about it.  I mean, all of this for closing one topic?  It's just one little topic.  If you want to keep discussing it, get in contact with the people who were part of it and go to a different forum.  Like I stated earlier, Michael Vincent has a forum with a section dedicated to religious discussions, as well as many others.  Why not just relocate the discussion, as it were, to there?

We support Religious discussion provided you do not say other peoples religon is wrong and your religion is right!

All you have to do is respect others religion, and stay on topic. If you do, we won't have any problems.

If you want to go to Michal Vincents forum, here is the link:

http://michaelv.org
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 11:48:40 pm    Post subject:

Well then, I must apologize. Perhaps I was mearly distracted back then--what with him trying to turn my own friends against me and all...

You know who wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, DigiTan, I have rectified the situation by closing the topics you mentioned, and I was sure to give you credit.

And lets not forget:
* He launched a series of unprovoked personal attack against me
* He misquoted me one 5 seperate occasions
* Slandered my name before I had a chance to respond
* He tried to pit my own friends against me (see above)
* He lied to everyone when he said it was my idea to lock the threads
* He censored 4 good topics out of angst. When he couldn't explain himself, he locked another thread
* He did not apologize to Kode-Fu, Awesome1, Darth Android and Arcane Wizard for locking their topics
* He did not apologize to other members who participated in these discussion, but instead cast me as the scapegoat
* He deleted 5 very popular threads that he did not participate in, and probably didn't read too well
* He tried to drive me out of the forums by deleting topics he knew I was most interested in
* He's making the moderation here look bad
* [Edit] Notice my "warn" bar is orange

...I doesn't take a mathmatician to see people have alot of reasons for disappointment. I don't know what events in his life is causing him to behave in this manner. Perhaps he's just having a bad week. Regardless, I would hope he'd develope a more mature means of getting the point across. I'm not asking for much--I'm not even asking for an apology. I'd just like to offer a truce. So he can come forward and explain himself as an intellectual--without resorting to thread-killing and other cheap tricks.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2004 11:50:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Apr 2004 11:49:11 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
I'd like to keep from discussing anything about reopening that, it was out of line and I should've talked it over with jbirk first.

So let's keep that out of this main discussion, and continue about whatever it was about before the whole 'arcane is wrong about pettyness' stuff, ok?

Finally, someone out here figured it out! All you have to do is talk to us. We are human too! For that, Arcane is given permission to reopen any two topics that I closed. he is being given free choice

Thanks Arcane, for being reasonable!

You should all take a lesson from Arcane. He finally did the right thing, and as such has been forgiven and is being allowed to reopen two topics.

Perhaps, everyone should come to us privatly in the future instead of speak out against us.

Everyone, how about a round of applause for Arcane Wizard?

Let us see if anyone appriciates you or if they just hate me.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 12:07:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Everyone, how about a round of applause for Arcane Wizard?

*applauds*

Quote:
Perhaps, everyone should come to us privatly in the future instead of speak out against us.

You are, after all, human. Just like the rest of us. (Aliens not included. Sorry! Laughing )
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 12:07:45 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Well then, I must apologize.  Perhaps I was mearly distracted back then--what with him trying to turn my own friends against me and all...

You know who wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, DigiTan, I have rectified the situation by closing the topics you mentioned, and I was sure to give you credit.

And lets not forget:
* He launched a series of unprovoked personal attack against me
* He censored 4 good topics out of angst. When he couldn't explain himself, he locked another thread
* He did not apologize to Kode-Fu, Awesome1, Darth Android and Arcane Wizard for locking their topics
* He did not apologize to other members who participated in these discussion, but instead cast me as the scapegoat
* He deleted 5 very popular threads that he did not participate in, and probably didn't read too well
* He tried to drive me out of the forums by deleting topics he knew I was most interested in

...I doesn't take a mathmatician to see people have alot of reasons for disappointment. I don't know what events in his life is causing him to behave in this manner. Perhaps he's just having a bad week. Regardless, I would hope he'd develope a more mature means of getting the point across. I'm not asking for much--I'm not even asking for an apology. I'd just like to offer a truce. So he can come forward and explain himself as an intellectual--without resorting to thread-killing and other cheap tricks.

Apologies are always good.

* He launched a series of unprovoked personal attack against me.

Unprovoked? Read above. You clearly said the moderation here was unfair.
I was just taking your suggestion and making it fair.

What did you say, and what did I say?
Links please. If I did, sorry.

True, but you deserved it, IMO. And it wasn't really slander it was my interpretation of what you ment.

True, but by calling our moderation unfair, you put the whole forum against me you know. I have enough problems as it is.

I didn't lie. I even left everyone a link, so they could read what you said. Clearly you said that we are unfair in what topics we moderate and you listed a specific four topics you said were off topic and got passed by the moderation team.

I corrected this issue.

* He censored 4 good topics out of angst. When he couldn't explain himself, he locked another thread.

Yes, I did, since you had a problem with our procedures.
True, I locked another topic that was opened because I closed a topic.

BTW, Arcane Wizard is back on my side and right now has my permission to open any two topics that I closed. Ask him how simple it was to get on my good side again.

Maybe you should appologize to the above people. Afterall, it was you who stated we were unfair by not closing certain topics.

Yes, again, it was you who said we are unfair in our moderation.

Untrue! I did not delete any threads recently! Want a copy of the moderation logs? I can look up who deleted what if you would like. Smile

NOT True. I did not delete any topics recently. Would you like a copy of the moderation logs of all the actions I have taken? I will post them publicly if you wish. I have no idea what you are interested in, and had I wanted to drive you out, you would be gone.

Yeah, true I am.

Only you, moderators, me, and other admins can see your warn bar.

I unwarened you. Sorry for being a jerk about that.

yes, I am having a bad week!

I will accept your truce and appologize to everyone via mass PM later.

[B]Now, how about I make you a Global Moderator? Then you will have the same moderation powers I have. Would you like that?

I will happily give you those powers for you to see how much everyone will critisize your every move and call it unfair, and say you are giving specific topics special treatment![B]

I accept your truce.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Apr 2004 12:12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 12:30:17 am    Post subject:

whoa... last time i take a short leave from here to work on my site and finish homework....

i like the policy though. x throws a fit about y's moderation so y offers to make x a global mod...

*prays and hopes jbirk has a better week soon*
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 01:06:36 am    Post subject:

Y is suggesting he learned to manage a forum in less than 10 minutes. X wasn't aware diversionary tactics were part of the truce.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 01:23:45 am    Post subject:

then z comes along and says 'why dont we all stop fighting and be the firends we once were. 5 locked topics arent that big of a deal, and if enough ppl want them unlocked, it isnt that hard to do, right?'
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement