This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Provide United-TI with Feedback. => Website
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 02:25:58 am    Post subject:

I am sorry everyone.

I undid all the damage I made I hope.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 09:33:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I am sorry for my misbehavior.
I will leave and not return if you guys like.

-Jbirk

I don't think you should leave. Everyone has bad days/weeks.
tyskis

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 09:37:15 am    Post subject:

I agree, and don't let that apology on every page there to long, or it will damage the site...
JeePee

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 09:38:35 am    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
Quote:

-Jbirk

Indead, we'd be sorry to lose you Wink
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 11:26:42 am    Post subject:

JB and I talked talked about it earlier today. It's cool now so I probably won't post in this thread anymore if its okay with everyone (I also deleted some earlier posts of mine, this was my decision). I'm hoping he sticks around here.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 11:57:46 am    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
Perhaps you should just move on instead of complaining about it.  I mean, all of this for closing one topic?  It's just one little topic.

It's not the first time we had a situation like this around topics being closed, too. I'd just like to work this out so we can avoid further situations, perhaps a clearer ruleset will suffice, perhaps someone else can shed some light into how to prevent this.

Quote:
This forum would no longer exist if it weren't for JBirk, mostly because of the lack of appreciation shown by 99.9% of everyone here.
I'm not one of them, right? I mean, I always try to show I support this whole UTI thing and try to support the admins as much as I can, though I am a bit crazy and sometimes do things in a wrong way or at a wrong time.

Quote:
As the main admin he can ultimately do whatever he wants, including removing the entire website with 1 command that would take less then 5 seconds to complete. The pressures faced by running a webserver cannot be understood by anyone until they have done so themselves with a significant userbase. To help you better understand imagine everyone (100+ people) always demanding and needing your help, and almost never even hearing a small Thankyou from any of them after you spend your time to help them out.
So remember people, thank you's should always be given when you have asked someone something, even if it only took a little bit of their time to read your comment on something a little thank you will make them realise it's appreciated.

Quote:
Finally, someone out here figured it out! All you have to do is talk to us. We are human too! For that, Arcane is given permission to reopen any two topics that I closed. he is being given free choice

Thanks Arcane, for being reasonable!

You should all take a lesson from Arcane. He finally did the right thing, and as such has been forgiven and is being allowed to reopen two topics.

Perhaps, everyone should come to us privatly in the future instead of speak out against us.
The truely sad thing is the thought of acting responsibly and pming admins when there's a problem with anything is always a point of view I hold when things like this arrise, but somehow it passed my mind without it noticing it.

And then the thought of having to open the pi calc threda for some reason occured to me, and I acted on that impulse rather than think of what I always tell others to do.

Quote:
BTW, Arcane Wizard is back on my side and right now has my permission to open any two topics that I closed. Ask him how simple it was to get on my good side again.
All it took was a little pm explaining my actions and explaining that I saw what I had done wrong, so it was simple really.

Quote:
I most heartily agree, running away or deleting the forum would have been easy, correcting what you have done was so many times harder than that it deserves lots of credit.

I just hope we can learn from all this and see it is not easy to correct things as JBirk has, this deserves a round of applause. I think this has left us with an experience to look back at in the future and think twice before we let things escalate into something like this again.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 06:17:50 pm    Post subject:

im glad we got everytihng squared away.
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 01:44:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The administrator locked the topic as it was not on the original path in which it was intended. Religion is one's personal choice and I do not see it as something that is debatable. Who here thinks they have the right to say their religion is better than anyone else's? If you do think that, then you are very petty. I know that some people didn't like the passion of the christ, too gruesome, too real...

I say my religion is better than any of yours unless it is mine, there i said it

Also athiests are followers of a religion, just not an organized one, but they believe with such passion as do followers of christianity, or any other religion, it is that what they believe has been adopted(sp) by society and therefore people do not precieve it as a part of a religion, but in fact it really is. Simply watch a tv show or seeing a movie on friday at 7:00 every week is a for of a religion, it is a ritual and is linked to some for of a religion.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 02:12:01 am    Post subject:

nicely put, JesusFreak

Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2004 02:12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 03:07:31 am    Post subject:

Because we can't just twist definitions to fit our spewing of bs so we can look like we're right for once, let's use a normal definition of religion, which implies tv is in no way a religion or any of that crap.

Quote:
Religion
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

A religion is defined as the social expression of attitudes, beliefs, and practices related to the supernatural or the sacred. Religion also functions in many human communities as a means by which the origin of the world around them, and such mysteries as life, death, and their meaning are explained. However, what actually constitutes a religion is subject to much dispute in the fields of theology, sociology, anthropology, and among ordinary people.

Now, since atheist do not believe in supernatural things like god or anything else that explains life, they have no religion.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 04:16:45 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
A religion is defined as the social expression of attitudes, beliefs, and practices related to the supernatural or the sacred. Religion also functions in many human communities as a means by which the origin of the world around them, and such mysteries as life, death, and their meaning are explained. However, what actually constitutes a religion is subject to much dispute in the fields of theology, sociology, anthropology, and among ordinary people.

i could make a religion out of watching tv. you dont have to believe in supernatural being for it to be a religion.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2004 04:17:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 07:43:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sacred

Sacred items, reportedly, possess powerful and frightening connections to the supernatural. In a religion, sacred things are to be revered for their connections to divinity. For instance, Pagans consider the Earth sacred, while Roman Catholics consider the transformed host sacred. One might argue that the US government considers the Stars and Stripes to be sacred.

So you can say all you want, but the whole point of atheism is that it is no religion, and that has nothing to do with wether it's adopted by society like jesusfreak said, otherwise christianity wouldn't be a religion because it was adopted by society during the middle ages and even today the majority of western society is christian.

You have religious people and atheists, you can't be a religious ahteist because then you belong to the religious group.

Quote:
Atheism

Atheism is a disbelief in all deities, including the supreme being of monotheist beliefs often referred to as "God."

Etymology
The term atheism (French athéisme, from athée, meaning atheist, from Greek 'Αθεος, atheos, meaning godless : a-, without; + Θεός, theos, meaning god; it has Indo-European Roots) is formed of the Greek prefix α- (a-), meaning "without" or "not," and the Greek-derived theism (from Θεϊσμός, theismos), meaning a belief in a god. The literal meaning of the term is therefore "without belief in a god."

Definition and scope
Atheism is generally defined by most dictionaries and encyclopedias as the "denial of the existence of God or gods and of any supernatural existence." [1]
Some atheists [2] [3] distinguish between:

Strong atheism, an explicit rejection of the existence of any deity, because it is considered an impossibility. This involves positive assertions and explanations of the natural world that don't require a deity.
Weak atheism, a lack of belief in any deity, because it is considered that there is not enough evidence to support its existence. This is related, but not equivalent, to agnosticism, which states that a person cannot have knowledge on the existence nor the inexistence of any deity, or, as is usually used in modern culture, neutrality on the issue.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2004 07:55:55 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 11:39:12 am    Post subject:

JesusFreak wrote:
I say my religion is better than any of yours unless it is mine, there i said it

You could say it in the 9-page topic now that it has been reopened.
Quote:

-Jbirk
Please don't.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 04 Apr 2004 01:30:08 pm    Post subject:

So, now that Jbirk has returned to the sane side of things, I think we'll be fine with just one thread discussing policies... and this one certainly isn't anywhere near on topic anymore, and it's in a bit of an out of the way place(although there were comments, questions, and shouts of derision(in that order))

And I really suggest using "I think" before that statement...a fact must be verifiable by everyone, and that is just an oppinion(what you think).

So, as thread-closing comments: Although Jbirks actions were a bit extreme, I hope that they will get people to not argue(remember, debate and argue are not perfectly synonomous) over it as much(so that the origin of this problem does not need to be re-closed), and everything else in here is either outdated or available somewhere else(discuss it in the correct thread please).
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement