This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. UTI Members Chat => General Open Topic
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Jun 2003 10:50:01 am    Post subject:

Some of your may have noticed that earlier,a degrading post was made in the calculator news section. Justin edited it a litle so it wasn't as offensive,but I deleted it. I think it happened in a couple other forums too,if I understand what Justin said. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can try to prevent people from trash talking in the forum?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Jun 2003 05:32:14 pm    Post subject:

The only solution I see is #-ing out a lot of words but that won't help much either, maybe turning off guest posting (already done if I'm not mistaking) and require all members to fill in a reason why they want to join the forum and then have an admin activate their account. This would however put a huge amount of work on the admins and will decrease the number of new visitors who don't want to fill out such things.

Best way I think is just make sure that any untolerable posts are deleted and the poster is banned.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Jun 2003 03:10:55 am    Post subject:

Yes, it appears that guestposting has been disabled, but I did not disable it.

To tell you the truth, I kind of like to allow guests to post becasue it allows a freedom of exchange of information.

BTW, posting in the UTI Members only topic limits you topic to being viewed only by 18 united ti member, and 6 staff members. The other 62 members cannot see or use this forum, FYI.

I would personally set up the rulls section of the board, perhapse alter the bad words fileters, and ensure that each topic is moderated as a first step.

I would then have any spammers banned, and as a 2nd to last resort disable guest posting.

However, if the consensous is guest posting should not be allowed, I will not reenable it.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Jun 2003 06:52:54 am    Post subject:

personnaly (we r all entitled to our own opinion), i think gest posting should be allowed, but if all someone does is spam (ive seen very valuable UTI\members accidently spam) then there are three strikes:

1. warning
2. major warning and removal of posts
3. removal of all posts and banned ip frome this forum with notification

if they use a different computer to post numerous (spamming) times, then thet computer should be disabled too.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Jun 2003 07:01:02 am    Post subject:

I agree with in the case of just some spam, a warning is in order first. I personally would like to know if I'm spamming before getting banned or anything since it's the last thing I want to do(even if there would be no penalty).

Though in the case of untolerable posts, like flames or posts which incluide racism for example, he or she should be banned immedeatly and his posts removed of course.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Jun 2003 02:59:44 pm    Post subject:

It works more like this:

1. Subtle hint by posting to the forum.
2. PM asking you to stop/warning via PM
3. Final warning via PM and Email
4. Added to the banned members group for about a week.
5. Deleted and banned from the forum.
6. If problems still continue, contact ISP.

Anyway, if you are not a good member and post absolutly terrible stuff, you will be removed immediatly without warning as was
Frozen Liquid.

Posts will be removed only if they need to be removed. It is not neccesarily a step unless they are profane or bad.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Jun 2003 06:48:36 pm    Post subject:

Yes, about contacting the poster's ISP, how does that work ?

Can you just tell what ISP he/she uses from tracing their connection and then send his/her ISP an e-mail telling hem what he/she did and then they will handle it or are there certain procedures you have to follow (probably not) besides giving them some form of evidence ?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 02:11:48 am    Post subject:

Simple.

You use a whois serch which you can perform at http://internic.com or http://netsol.com ;in fact, you can serch for a who is search page.

Put in the IP address and look up the ISP.

Find the ISP's website and look for contact info.

Send them an email staing the exact time, the IP, and the evidence. They are unliekly to do anything becasue they are a business that gets paid only when someone else uses the net; however, they can contact the person if it is a violation of their terms of service.
Pascal

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 09:28:31 pm    Post subject:

Why dont we do that "carma" or whatever it was caled bar scale thing. If you make a bad post, one of the admins (or the moderator) will bring you downa point, and if oyu are help full you are increased a point. People who are low down on the points scale will be looked down on, and their posts will be taken less seriously, where as a well established high pointed member will be more respected and people will read their posts more seriously.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 09:47:12 pm    Post subject:

would u do all that for EVERY member? i dont think that the admins would be too happy with the extra work...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jun 2003 02:15:24 am    Post subject:

I think that's a nice idea.

The admins wouldn't have to do that by themselves, that's what the mods are here for. Mods have to read all the posts in their forum anyway so clicking a little button when somebody made a bad post or clicking a button when someone is being helpfull (no need to grade every single post, just the good and bad ones) shouldn't be too much work.
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Jun 2003 09:47:28 am    Post subject:

Yea,it wouldn't be too much works. It would be pretty easy,actually.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jun 2003 10:39:37 am    Post subject:

Though I doubt it can be implemented into the forum easily if at all.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 Jun 2003 11:24:25 am    Post subject:

ya, unless u can convince Jbirk that it is a good idea, then hes not gonna do all that coding for nothing...
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 24 Jun 2003 02:27:53 pm    Post subject:

I suck at PHP, and I do not think it would be a good idea to write parts of a PHP forum in Perl.

Besides, a new version is available; however, it is only in the beta stage, so I have not upgraded.
Pascal

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 11:43:26 am    Post subject:

Well if it could be implemented I think it would be a pretty good feature. If you think about it, usually we read over the forum at least once. THe admin (being an admin) will naturally look over the forum at least once, which is all that is needed. If he(she) sees something that should be marked, he(she) will do so. from there on all additional posts are always read (you need to read a post to reply to it), so the system would be easy to use in tems of workload. In addition, peopel can also be the reporters, if someone is disturberd or very grateful of a member, he/ she can tell the admin about it.
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 12:00:00 pm    Post subject:

Yea,that would be pretty good. And since almost all of the forums have their own moderator,no one person or group of people would have to do all the work.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 03:37:33 pm    Post subject:

Well, the new version of Invision comes with a warning system.

I think it restricts your privledges by 20% each time you are warned, and over time, I believe the warning level will go down.

However, it does not use karma, and I am not going to code karma.
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 03:41:28 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm...that sounds just like the warning system on AIM. Thats just as good as using karma!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 03:58:10 pm    Post subject:

The only problem is that these things don't keep people from making an account and start a couple of spam and/or flame threads.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement