This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Sonic

» Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 10:10:01 pm    Post subject:

I was trying to come up with some game graphics last night but I realized there wasn't much I could do until we have a Sonic sprite. I think it's fair to say the rest of us are also stuck at this point and before we can move forward much, we need to come up with a few good sprites.

Also, I got to thinking about the tilemapping in general and I think 16x16 will be way too big to fit the screen. On most Z80 machines, it would mean the screen could only be 4 tiles high, and that's gonna make things very difficult gameplay wise. Would it be possible to have a 16x16 sonic and a 8x8 tileset? The Sonic image wouldn't have to take up the entire 16x16 per se--maybe it could be 8x12 or 10x10, etc. visually.

The reason I ask is because Mario, Metroid, and Kirby have all managed to pull off really good-looking sprites in this size range while using small tiles. Plus, the rest of our map tiles would be 4 times smaller.

Anyway, I made a couple of sprites with Paint and GStudio and I'll post them up sometime this week.
Madskillz

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 10:25:47 pm    Post subject:

That also has stopped me...I have a demo from L-man, but inorder for me to get my walking/rolling routines done, I need to have sprites for them in a suitable size...I was thinking 8x8 tiles for the levels and 16x16 baddies and for Sonic...ideas?
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 07:50:16 am    Post subject:

Maybe 16x8 for Sonic, like Mario?
Mike_k

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 04:25:04 pm    Post subject:

Scale 'em down Laughing

http://www.planetdreamcast.com/sonic/see/s...gba/02sonic.gif

-Mike
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 06:02:45 pm    Post subject:

I haven't had much luck scaling those down. The shrinking was so extreme, it ruined most of his detail. I'm trying to do a few running sprites "from scratch" with MS paint.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 09:21:59 pm    Post subject:

Hmm... I would think 16X16 is adequate.
Mike_k

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 10:11:56 pm    Post subject:

Most of my original sprites are 16x16 or smaller...?

Some were wider to show running actions, but all are under 16 pxls high.

-Mike
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Mar 2005 05:56:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike_k wrote:
Most of my original sprites are 16x16 or smaller...?

(Images)

Some were wider to show running actions, but all are under 16 pxls high.

-Mike

Those are some beautiful sprites, however they're actually around 24 pixels high, and 16 pixels wide, aside from the running sprites, which are wider.

Here's a 12 x 16 sonic that I created when I was just messing around one day.
It's quite hard to get the proper detail Sonic requires at such a small scale and with only 2 colours. However, if you like it, I'll make a complete set for you.

Edit: Fixed the image

Last edited by Guest on 02 Mar 2005 07:06:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Mar 2005 08:04:09 pm    Post subject:

Now that's what I'm talking about! I think the 12x16 are just about the right size for the TI screen. We're gonna have to sacrifice alot of detail if we want to fit to the screen, but it will be worth it.
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Mar 2005 03:29:17 pm    Post subject:

Here's a sample run animation. I might work on it a little more, but I've gotten it to be a lot smoother than when I first tried it.

DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Mar 2005 06:01:26 pm    Post subject:

That's awesome! I like the way his feet 'blur' like in the genesis games!
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Mar 2005 10:22:06 pm    Post subject:

That looks great! Would you be able to get dynamic sprites during the game without affecting speed?
Madskillz

Posted: 03 Mar 2005 11:17:16 pm    Post subject:

Sweet...I was in need of sprites like that...sorry mike, but 12x16 is more workable! Wink
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Mar 2005 04:26:03 am    Post subject:

Raiser wrote:
Here's a sample run animation.  I might work on it a little more, but I've gotten it to be a lot smoother than when I first tried it.

I think it'll look a lot smoother if the second and third frame had less leg/foot pixels at the back...

In fact, I think the area marked red in the third frame should be removed completely.

EDIT: and maybe make his top-left foot in the last frame a little thicker (instead of a 1 pixel thick, 3 pixels long, line)

(red marks areas where there should be less pixels drawn)

Last edited by Guest on 04 Mar 2005 04:29:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Mar 2005 03:50:45 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the advice Arcane, I've fixed up the outlined areas, and rounded the feet to make them animate in a more circular motion. In the fourth frame, making the 3 pixel long line wider made it look too bulky and awkward, so I shortened it. In the third frame, however, I felt the shoe only needed the pixel at the top removed, as it looked too square with it.

I also tried cutting it off like you had suggested, but I can't decide which is better:

Anyway, here's what I have done so far: the standing sprite, the running animation, the walking animation (used as Sonic is building speed), and the roll/jump. The latter 2 I'm still working on, as they're a still a little buggy:

Sonic's hands are supposed to move when he walks, but are stationary when he runs. Because his hands are 1 to 2 pixels big, it looks quite awkward.

Edit: Fixed the roll

Last edited by Guest on 04 Mar 2005 08:30:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 04 Mar 2005 04:56:00 pm    Post subject:

wow...for the size limit, those are extremely awesome...thus work can now be done again! I will work on Sonic some this weekend....I promise! Very Happy
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Mar 2005 06:06:17 pm    Post subject:

Now that's what I'm talking about! Cool These sprites will make the engine much easier to visualize now. I know it's kind of early, but do we have a couple of badnik sprites? They might help us determine a sprite limit for the graphics.
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Mar 2005 07:12:12 pm    Post subject:

I haven't made any Badnik sprites yet, however, I believe that Madskillz made a couple of enemies (Crabmeat and the fish that jumps up from under the bridge).

Edit: Also, what animations are still needed for Sonic? I currently have standing, walking, running, rolling/jumping, skidding, and death sprites. I still need to make the sprite for when he gets hit and loses his rings, but do we need spindash, pushing, ducking and looking up sprites as well? I assume the latter 2 will depend on how the engine handles scrolling the screen. Also, when Sonic finishes an act, will he run past the spinner ala Sonic 1 & 2, or pose ala Sonic 3 & Knuckles? I'll make an 'act clear' pose if necessary.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Mar 2005 07:33:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Mar 2005 08:35:44 pm    Post subject:

I guess we could also use sprites for hanging from vines/hooks if we use those kinds of objects in it. There's also a 'spring' sprite for when you are flying straight up. A few others come to mind, but they might not be critical.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Mar 2005 09:07:42 pm    Post subject:

At first I thought you'd nead another in-between frame, but now I think the problem is that the first two frames are nearly identical, the leg only moves 1 pixel.

Make for a more even change in each frame.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Mar 2005 09:08:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement