This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Sonic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2005 10:21:51 pm    Post subject:

koolmansam375 wrote:
well in this case i would say a max of 5 (maybe 6) rings should fall out and each worth one ring

This solves the CPU problem, but it'll lead to gamer frustration. These Sonic 1 levels were known to hold hundreds of rings, so I'd like to make them more 'recoverable' if we have big levels. Also, since we're doing a Sonic game, I want to keep things as "authentic" as possible without taxing the CPU badly. The reason I like the Game Gear method is because its true to the series, plus it'll still work for us on TI.

As far as a sprite limit goes, in Genesis you could drop up to 31 rings and the rest simply did not appear. Phoenix III could support around this number of sprites (including bullets), so maybe the sprite limit will actually be higher than we're expecting. Cool
Madskillz

Posted: 09 Mar 2005 10:53:26 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I was looking in one of those old topics in this thread for a possible story, I know SniperOfTheNight had a plot already written up, I am pretty sure he posted it here too...hmm.
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Mar 2005 05:44:00 pm    Post subject:

yea heres something else i found. (it was in one of the old topics)

sic aka Joe P wrote:
I have a suggestion for this game. Since the majority of the time sonic will be moving faster horizontally than he would vertically, I would flip the virtual screen by 90 degrees. IIRC, you send a certain byte out port 10h to "rotate" the screen. The reason for this is that when doing smooth scrolling, it is much easier and faster to move all the data in one ldir or lddr as the case may be (rather than a long series of rr (hl) \ inc hl or rl (hl) \ dec hl). This way you could scroll horizontally in jumps of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 (etc) pixels at a time with almost no decrease in speed (except for the extra time it takes to populate the new lines). Post over at maxcoderz if you have questions.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Mar 2005 05:59:34 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't that only apply to screen-shifting though? I had the impression DWedit's code worked by offsets. There aren't too many progs that shift their levels one pixel at a time.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Mar 2005 10:07:42 pm    Post subject:

I am sure that when you jump upward, the screen only gets shifted several pixels at a time.
Madskillz

Posted: 11 Mar 2005 11:08:13 pm    Post subject:

I got a routine for jumping already...it is one that is used in Cobra, it basically follows the character...L-man also had a very nice routine in some source he gave me... Laughing
shadowing