This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Sonic

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 Apr 2005 11:02:47 pm    Post subject:

I figured we should have a place for everyone to post the sprites/level graphics they have made. I know I'm not the only one working on graphics for this game. If you have made anything at all for this game graphic-wise, post it here.

It would also be helpful for those who are doing the actual programming to post their graphical needs here, so that I or another artist for this game can create them.

Here's what I've done so far:

The latest ones (the bottom pictures): 10 Ring monitor, invincibility, speed shoes, 3 possible shield monitor designs, and a 1-up monitor. (it was quite a challenge to get something that looks like sonic's head to fit in a 6x4 space.) after that, there's a spring, my first attempt at Dr. Robotnik in his hovercraft, andtwo possible sonic icons for the life counter. Then there's an alternate Sonic design that I came up with by accident, and a cross between that design and the original. (Do you like the new designs? If the popular opinion is that one of them is better, I'll update the other sprites to reflect it.)

Anyway, I'll post stuff here as I create it. I hope others will do so as well.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Apr 2005 11:04:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Apr 2005 12:15:21 am    Post subject:

Raiser, you've done it again! Very Happy I like that new sprite on the left because it reminds of this one where Sonic gets impatient.

For new sprites, we'll need all the running & "walking" sprites rotated 45 degrees for the loops. We can probably rewrite the sprite-drawer to draw them upside-down when needed, and hopefully that'll save us a heap of RAM.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Apr 2005 12:16:20 am; edited 1 time in total
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Apr 2005 12:19:51 am    Post subject:

Great job Raiser! Those sprites are great Smile
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Apr 2005 11:43:29 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Raiser, you've done it again!  Very Happy  I like that new sprite on the left because it reminds of this one where Sonic gets impatient.

For new sprites, we'll need all the running & "walking" sprites rotated 45 degrees for the loops.  We can probably rewrite the sprite-drawer to draw them upside-down when needed, and hopefully that'll save us a heap of RAM.

It does look like the waiting sprite, doesn't it? I also like the spines on his head better, so I wipped up a few more sprites in that style:

Anyway, as far as rotating the running and walking sprites go, I'm about to start on that, but first I want to smooth out the walking animation. It didn't animate very well, so I redrew it from scratch.

It's looking a little better, but it's still a little choppy and the hands look awkward.

If anyone can think of a way to make this animation smoother, I'd appreciate the input.
CoBB

Posted: 10 Apr 2005 12:12:04 pm    Post subject:

It would help a lot if his head moved up a pixel while both of his legs are in the air.
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Apr 2005 01:41:12 pm    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:
It would help a lot if his head moved up a pixel while both of his legs are in the air.

I'll try that, maybe that's all it needs to look proper.

In the meantime, here's the rotated running sprites. Unlike the walking sprites, they animate smoothly.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Apr 2005 01:41:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Apr 2005 03:19:15 pm    Post subject:

It looks perfect. Any way you can create grayscale pics?
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Apr 2005 03:26:05 pm    Post subject:

shadowing wrote:
It looks perfect. Any way you can create grayscale pics?

Greyscale pics aren't a problem to make. They are a problem, however to use in the game. If we want this game to be as fast as possible, we can't have greyscale during the actual gameplay. I'm sure we could have the menus in greyscale, but I want to concentrate on what's going to be used in-game first. Besides, there's a couple of really good menus/title screens already posted in one of the other topics. I think it was Madskillz who made them.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Apr 2005 03:26:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 10 Apr 2005 04:42:56 pm    Post subject:

yeah, for right now atleast GS in the game is off. Those sprites are awesome! But now I have to change the ones I put into some of the code I was working on, oh well they look better at least! Man, you are one helluva good sprite drawer! Very Happy The only possible GS version would be once Jim over at Revsoft releases his package. I happen to have a copy but that would be the only way Sonic could be fast enough. Jim's routines are incredibly fast...I gotta give him props for that. Lets concentrate on a b&w version for now maybe with a GS title, then if we feel daring we can try the whole game in GS...
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Apr 2005 05:20:06 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Madskillz, sorry that you had to go back and insert these new sprites. I just thought they looked more like Sonic does in the Genesis games. The original design with the 'floppy' spikes was actually infulenced by Sonic's single sprite in the VMU chao Adventure game.

We should collaborate on what graphics have been made so far. I'm working on the enemies right now, but I'm thinking we should use your crabmeat and jumping fish sprites. I've just finished the motobug and bee bomber, but I may need to make them smaller.

note: I was thinking that we would pull another game gear trick, and make the bee's wings appear as if they're flapping by making them appear and disappear each time his frame changes.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Apr 2005 07:21:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Apr 2005 01:39:50 pm    Post subject:

Aw man, I've got a lot of catching up to do. I think shadowing was doing the sprite AND/XOR masking for the original sprites but my IRC hasn't been working lately. (D'oh!)
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Apr 2005 09:21:22 pm    Post subject:

Well, here's all of Sonic's sprites, with a coloured background to make it easier to tell which pixels are transparent and which are supposed to be white.

The only sprites that I have not yet made for Sonic are the 'balancing' sprites for when he stands too close to an edge, and his ducking sprite. I'll see what I can do about those tomorrow.

As you can see, I also got Sonic's walking sprite to animate properly, and made a rotated version for the loops as well.

shadowing