This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Sonic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Apr 2005 08:03:48 pm    Post subject:

Sorry about not uploading the physics code yet. Because of finals I'm trying to cut down on my posting and calc work until May 2nd.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Apr 2005 11:19:16 pm    Post subject:

Tis okay Digitan.

Here are our initial plans. We plan to create just the Sonic prog. This prog. will contain the main graphics and physics engine and level detectors.

So basically, for flexibility, you can use separate level programs to conserve space and not play any levels you hate.
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 28 Apr 2005 06:17:14 pm    Post subject:

when you release the program, release it packaged with a few (two or three) of the best levels, or maybe on in each difficulty.

that way people can see if they like the game, then download extra levels, rather than having to guess which levels are good and then finding out they suck and then they quit the game FOREVER!!!!! AAAAH...*pant*

Last edited by Guest on 26 May 2005 04:24:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 05:32:10 pm    Post subject:

Alright, object collision code is approching and I've got a few 16x16 badnik sprite request for a graphics team.

* Sonic ducking
* Motobot
* Buzzbomber
* Those Chemeleon things

Also, if someone knows a website with the Green Hill Zone level map, we just might be able to do a ~exact port of that stage. No promises until compression is tested. :ninja:
jvdthwip

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 07:09:20 pm    Post subject:

This page has full maps for every level in Sonic 1:
Sonic Maps

Hope this helps.
Madskillz

Posted: 29 Aug 2005 09:03:02 pm    Post subject:

hey man...I have converted almost all of raisers sprites into .gst format, I think I have those ones if not, I can get them for you tomorrow aight man? Sorry I haven't really been on top of things!
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2005 06:09:13 pm    Post subject:

Okay; while you're at it, can you do some slopes for the Green Hill tile set? Also, if we can shrink the palmtree down to 16x16, it'll save a lot of space. In the meantime, I'll finish map collisions so Sonic can run on hills and loops.

Also can someone get level maps for the Genesis version? If our levels are 512 tiles long, we can definately port that version.
jvdthwip

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 30 Aug 2005 09:26:01 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='"DigiTan"']Also can someone get level maps for the Genesis version?[/quote][quote name='"jvdthwip"']This page has full maps for every level in Sonic 1 [Genesis]:
Sonic Maps

Hope this helps.[/quote]
I must be invisible.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2005 09:31:13 pm    Post subject:

Those are all from the Game Gear version. :confused:
jvdthwip

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 01:12:02 pm    Post subject:

Oops! Sorry, I didn't realize that!
I can always rip them myself with an emulator, I can't seem to find them anywhere...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 02:08:43 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I finally found the level maps. They're at the Sonic Research Zone webpage. I got halfway through coping the Green Hill Zone, and it looks like if we 256 x 32 maps, we can do a pretty good rendition of that one. There is also a ton of empty space, which will really boost compression. I'll compress the GHZ version and come back with the percentages.
Madskillz

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 03:45:17 pm    Post subject:

Great digi, sorry about not getting that zip to ya yet. Once I started school I have had an essay due the next day and I got another one do Tuesday...but I have to work tonight and both Sat/Sun. So I will try and get the ones you needed done tonight if not it will be sometime this weekend. I will also give you a complete zip of all the current sprites and stuff...there is stuff in there that you have never seen, I think you might enjoy them! Wink

I had thought at one point that Raiser was working on making a greenhill zone conversion, but I havent talked with him recently to confirm that or not. I do know there is a level done in the things that I had gotten from him...but I will show you that later on next week.

Until tonight or tomorrow, peace!
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 07:45:18 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, school's got to come first. I tried converting half of green hill just for compression purposes. It was at 32x128 tiles and here's what I got:

ZCP compression (65%)
Apack compression (91%)

...still haven't gotten to RLE, but it's really got a tough act to follow. I've never seen anything get more than 85% compression so this is looking really good. We should try to recompress the titlescreens and see if we can crack the 50% mark.

As far as I could tell Act 1 was a ~little too large to fit in 32x256 tiles, but our copy doesn't have to a tile-for-tile copy. As long as its pretty darn close.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Sep 2005 08:00:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 09:42:10 pm    Post subject:

I told you apack would be good! :biggrin:
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 10:52:27 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I've gotta hand it to you; you were right on the money there.
Madskillz

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 11:04:41 pm    Post subject:

I have been experimenting with apack lately, I found it to be the best with what I needed. I got the sonic baddies done...I had to change some of them, Raiser, you crack me up mate, I made them all 16x16..tricky little bastard made them a tad bit too tall, 16x27 come on Raiser! I dont think we lost really any detail, I'll show you what I mean later...

I will send you the PM of them tonight man...I am almost done converting all of Sonics moves, jumping, spinning, ducking and the like...I will have that for you tomorrow...I have also had this sweet idea playing over and over in my mind about the level title screen...I think I have most of the code worked out on paper, I will mess with that also sometime this weekend, probably labor day, if all goes well. I will also try and work on some other side stuff...
voodoo721

Posted: 30 Sep 2005 10:44:14 pm    Post subject:

would it be possible to have the main levels internal, but then still be able to process extrenal levels?

Last edited by Guest on 30 Sep 2005 10:44:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Oct 2005 10:01:59 pm    Post subject:

Right now, it looks like we're lined up for all-external levels, with possibly internal bonus levels and boss areas. It's still a little early for this, so we haven't really discussed it too much.
voodoo721

Posted: 05 Oct 2005 03:46:21 pm    Post subject:

oh, thats cool. any more news or updates?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Oct 2005 04:15:04 pm    Post subject:

Not much as of yet. There's been some problems porting some stuff between models, so until this is cleared up, progress may be slow. Now that my other project is almost done, I should have some extra time on the weekend to look into this.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement