This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Robot War => Your Projects
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Apr 2005 10:39:25 pm    Post subject:

The final optimization is about half done. Now I'm rethinking all the remaining features to eliminate anything that isn't necessary.

The code on the chopping block this month is the immunity system in the battle engine. Removing all or part of this code would free up no less than 300 bytes, but first, this is it how works as of today:

• Both players have up to 3 bots on their team
  • If a bot becomes sabotaged (burn, force, stasis, etc.) you can "pack" it into safe storage where it cannot be seen or harmed
  • Unpacking does the opposite. If the bot was sabotaged before, it will emerge renewed but it will have the same HP
  • Your opponent can counteract this with either Teleport or Force, but it requires a lot of luck
All of this sounds good, but I played the game twice and I was never really motivated to use this. Also, the menus required for this complicate several parts of the program.

Also, the AI has no packing capability because the code to detect when it was a good strategy was to large and sometimes made it easier to defeat instead of harder.

I think I want to leave the system 'as is' for 2P mode, but for story mode it will most likely be removed. But if anybody objects, I'll leave all or part of the current system intact. Any suggestions?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 10:26:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
All of this sounds good, but I played the game twice and I was never really motivated to use this. Also, the menus required for this complicate several parts of the program.
This makes me want to suggest you take it out completely. It's also not very realistic, and in my opinion would make the game less interesting.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 12:54:23 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
The code on the chopping block this month is the immunity system in the battle engine.  Removing all or part of this code would free up no less than 300 bytes

300 bytes is quite a lot on a calculator (dunno how much RAM the 82 has though). And because you didn't want to use it, as Robin mentioned, i'd say you remove it.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 06:59:15 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the 82 has a little over 28K, and the shell I'm using is 1K. I'm trying to get the full version down to 25K so it will have ~just enough room to work with the newer ACE shell that is 3K.

Anyway, I was hoping this immunity state would introduce some new strategy but it seems to slow the pace of the game too much. There were other features in the game like shields that had the same effect and didn't need any crazy menus.

For 2-player I was going to change things and have all the bots start the match in the stored state. Then each player chooses 1 bot to withdraw; chooses to attack or withdraw again; and so on. This seems to work nicer.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement