This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 10:21:15 am    Post subject:

dang they did it again Sad now see why I host all Omnimaga files myself instead of linking to ticalc.org archives
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 10:25:33 am    Post subject:

Gar, I guess I have to email them *sigh*
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 10:39:51 am    Post subject:

Maybe they'll enable it if you pay for the bandwith. ; )
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 11:19:04 am    Post subject:

lol....I think they can handle it. Smile
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 02:23:26 pm    Post subject:

They have massive bandwidth Sad loading the Basic games page in 83+ section takes more bandwidth than this
0oruneo0

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 06:47:35 pm    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
They have massive bandwidth Sad loading the Basic games page in 83+ section takes more bandwidth than this
[post="64946"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's a very dangerous thing to do on my computer Smile It freezes my comp.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Dec 2005 01:09:37 am    Post subject:

Well, keep in mind that while the bandwidth-per-image isn't a lot, even the little that it is adds up after each image is loaded multiple times per topic per viewer
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 22 Dec 2005 03:13:25 am    Post subject:

Which is exactly why most websites disallow hotlinking, it is commonly referred to among webhosts as "stealing bandwidth".

A better approach to this whole situation would have been something along the lines of this: You take what you know, and build from there. We all know these profile stats only get updated once a week, and it wouldn't take much effort to figure out which weekday that is.

Someone requests this custom signature, so the script then checks to see if it is x weekday, if it is update the local cache of these stats if they haven't already been updated that day. If not see if you have them cached locally if so pull from that, if not well snag them. Another thing to consider is checking exactly how far down the html code the stats are stored, and not pulling much more then that, 8k seems a bit more then necessary per load it should not need more then 1 or 2k at max I would guess. Finally never load these stats unless you're loading it off your own local cache.

--AlienCC
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 Dec 2005 01:58:37 pm    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
Which is exactly why most websites disallow hotlinking, it is commonly referred to among webhosts as "stealing bandwidth".

A better approach to this whole situation would have been something along the lines of this: You take what you know, and build from there. We all know these profile stats only get updated once a week, and it wouldn't take much effort to figure out which weekday that is.

Someone requests this custom signature, so the script then checks to see if it is x weekday, if it is update the local cache of these stats if they haven't already been updated that day. If not see if you have them cached locally if so pull from that, if not well snag them. Another thing to consider is checking exactly how far down the html code the stats are stored, and not pulling much more then that, 8k seems a bit more then necessary per load it should not need more then 1 or 2k at max I would guess. Finally never load these stats unless you're loading it off your own local cache.

--AlienCC
[post="64987"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually, they're updated daily. I was caching the daily stats, so it was pulling a max of 8kb per user per day and the rest of the time just spending my bandwidth. Smile And yes, I obviously only loaded the first 8k 'cause that's the exact end of the stats.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Dec 2005 04:58:47 pm    Post subject:

Sell them a script that does this but by querying their db instead of downing 8kb/user/day.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 24 Dec 2005 01:53:45 am    Post subject:

Shock Wow, ticalc.org's blocking generated an 863 *MB* error log in my images directory...note to self: check for recursive error possibilities. Smile
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Dec 2005 01:59:40 pm    Post subject:

Or maybe that was how often the images were used.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 24 Dec 2005 11:59:09 pm    Post subject:

No, it was because I had it in a loop that just kept trying to connect until the PHP execution limit was reached (30sec). Razz Not good.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Dec 2005 02:49:20 am    Post subject:

Infinite loops are never good (didn't I point this out the other day?), a good compiler would have pitched a fit for your tent had you tried to make a binary out of it.

--AlienCC
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Dec 2005 08:04:18 am    Post subject:

The problem is that I don't even know how that ended up being an error - I had it trying to die if the handle wasn't valid, but if kept going past to the 8kb-retrieval loop, thus generating a warning for each iteration since it was trying to read from an invalid handle.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Dec 2005 09:09:00 am    Post subject:

kermmartian wrote:
ticalc.org's blocking generated an 863 *MB* error log
[post="65135"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
that wont even open in notepad Neutral

Last edited by Guest on 25 Dec 2005 09:09:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Dec 2005 09:27:54 am    Post subject:

Notepad will give a warning with anything above 64kb I believe, but it will open if you want it to.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Dec 2005 10:43:34 am    Post subject:

I've just started the process of trying to open an 8.6 MB mp3 file with notepad. It's taking a while and not responding.

Edit: but it did it. Took a while, but it did it. Notepad power!

Last edited by Guest on 25 Dec 2005 10:44:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Dec 2005 11:01:47 am    Post subject:

I think you can get programs that open large files like that... yeah, I've had problems trying to open big files too Razz
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Dec 2005 04:47:11 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
I've just started the process of trying to open an 8.6 MB mp3 file with notepad. It's taking a while and not responding.

Edit: but it did it. Took a while, but it did it. Notepad power!
[post="65235"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now hit ctrl+end. :+
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement