This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Provide United-TI with Feedback. => Website
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2003 10:11:40 pm    Post subject:

I was wondering if there was anything I could help out with in the creation of the United TI website. I already threw together a basic design at http://anthem.tigalaxy.com/united_ti, and examples of other web design work I have done is at http://anthem.tigalaxy.com/alex/business.html.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Ninjas ninjas, they like you! You'd better jump if they say "boo!"
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 14 Aug 2003 10:58:58 pm    Post subject:

We will more then likely be using Zabotage or a modded version to power the UTI website once I get a few more features added to it.

You seem very talented in creating layouts, would you be interested in making a couple of themes to distribute with Zabotage under the GPL license? Let me know if you are interested in this, and I will get you the specifications required by the theme engine for populating the dynamic content.

--AlienCC
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2003 11:34:03 pm    Post subject:

I'd love to make some themes for Zabatoge. As for the UTI website, I myself am experienced in designing XML-based content management systems in Perl and would love to help in Zabatoge development/implementation into UTI in any way possible.

Ninjas. Oh yeah.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Aug 2003 11:34:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Aug 2003 01:44:41 am    Post subject:

Ok, I'll create the documentation for building Zabotage themes while I'm at work tomorrow (if its not really busy) then post it online.

--AlienCC
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Aug 2003 10:43:52 am    Post subject:

i think it would be kinda cool if we could add our own skins to the site... not like on the server or anything, just run off our computer's hard drive, kinda like Windows Media Player works... then we could have our own skin, but it wouldnt clutter the server, and no one else would ever even know about it! i dunno about this though... it would be pretty complex and i dont know if it would even be possible...
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Aug 2003 11:01:04 am    Post subject:

(One word)
Cookies!
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Aug 2003 11:31:01 am    Post subject:

well, if cookies can let us use our own skins, then im in! Smile
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Aug 2003 01:00:11 pm    Post subject:

Storing the users preference for themes would be better done in a database table, cookies are highly over-rated and over-used for storing information they never should by most websites.

Zabotage only stores 1 thing in your cookie, which is required for authentication yet has nothing to do with your password keeping it secure, this same thing must also reside in the database or access is forbidden. I give thanks to JBirk for the ideas in beefing up the security to the authentication system.

BTW, finally some feedback for Zabotage's progression...I will add the ability for users to choose the theme they see when logged in somewhere down the road, most likely before version 0.1. Of course, the theme must reside on the server.

--AlienCC

Last edited by Guest on 15 Aug 2003 01:02:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Aug 2003 12:01:08 pm    Post subject:

ok, thanks, that answers my question... Sounds AWESOME! i just cant wait...
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Aug 2003 10:55:37 am    Post subject:

Tyler wrote:
(One word)
Cookies!

Right... Anyway, you could rather easily have your own themes, that were hard drive accessible. This would be very easy if you kept your content in a frame, or only changed the images used in the layout, or if you kept your site's content in .js files. A unique ID number would be stored in a cookie (probablly the same one for member authentication), and the appropriate theme-measures would be taken upon visitin the site. I would be more than happy to help with the creation of such a theme system, if help is needed.

Go ninja turtles, go ninja turtles, go!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement