This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Ben Trettel

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 01:47:27 pm    Post subject:

I am looking for people to develop calc.org back into a viable website. As some of you may know, there was a project to "resurrect" calc.org about a year ago, but with team members disappearing and nothing being worked on month after month, that project was never going to be completed.

Calc.org's domain name was set to expire later this month, but Adam went ahead and registered it for another year. This gives us ample time to create a website, though I do not think we should take a year to make a website. To have a website and to let the website grow is what I am looking for.

If you are interested in helping out, please contact me by email at applications@sscentral.org or post here. We'll accept most any dedicated and qualified help. Let me repeat that again, DEDICATED and QUALIFIED. If you can not and will not be helping us develop on a steady, nearly daily basis, please do not apply. If you have no or little experience in what you are applying for, please do not apply. Anyone without dedication will be given one single warning and then be dropped from the project. We can not tolerate lack of dedication any longer.

I will be taking a very active role in this project as the web designer, SEO, usability consultant, and contributor. At the moment the only completed parts of the website are the mostly complete design and a partially-completed CMS. I have downloaded the file archive and MySQL database from the website and am planing on using as much of the original website as possible in our new revamp.

The positions we will be needing are:

- PHP/MySQL coders (with mod_rewrite experience preferably)
- Content contributors
- Organizers (to decide on how to organize the website, file archive, the forums if we decide to have some, etc.)
- People with experience in XHTML, CSS, Javascript, etc. (No Flash/Java however)
- Graphic designers

Positions already covered, but would help to have:

- SEO expert (I am fairly good at SEO, but if we can find an expert that would be better)
- Web designer (I already made the design that has been shown on calc.org for the last year, but additional design help would be a plus)
- Someone with usability, accessibility, or compatibility experience (Again, covered mostly by myself, but more people with this type of experience would definetly improve the website)
- Legal experts to write a good, legally sound, TOS (I would doubt that we could find someone like this, so likely we will use a public domain TOS that I use on one of my other websites)
- Spelling and grammar checkers

Later in the project I would prefer to have some beta testers to check the website for coding errors and usability errors. That will be announced at a later date and no experience is needed or preferred.

Again, please post here or email me if you are interested. I am not really the "project leader" as that is Steve King's job, but I am managing this project for now. If you know anyone else who would be interested or could help spread the word that we are looking for dedicated and qualified individuals I would appreciate that very much.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jan 2006 04:36:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 03:44:30 pm    Post subject:

I was unable to reply to your address, so I will post here.

I am from United-TI, and am willing to offer my skills as a web designer (XHTML/CSS only) to assist in the revival of Calc.org.

My work is made in Notepad and up-scale image rendering software such as IrfanView and the GIMP.

My work is built from the ground up. Source and images are original.

My work is Valid XHTML 1.0 (Strict) and Valid CSS without warnings or errors.

My work uses only external stylesheets.

My work is reviewed in Internet Explorer, Opera, and Firefox.

My work will look the same in these three browsers.

My work is navigable and makes sense in text browsers (outline form, i.e., having no stylesheets).

I am dedicated in my work, and can update almost daily.

I am qualified in my work. See the source of my home page and its stylesheet.

I am flexible, and I am also a perfectionist. I work until things function correctly and also feel right.

I can begin work immediately. Thanks in advance for any consideration.

–Goose

µ
--
[email=Weregoose@GMail.com]Weregoose@GMail.com[/email]
Kenny Hammond (Weregoose)
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 03:46:42 pm    Post subject:

I'd volunteer to help with spelling and grammar, but I don't know if I'd have enough time on my hands. Sorry.
Ben Trettel

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 04:18:10 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose, I am sending you an email. Consider yourself part of the team.

IAmACalculator, if you find that you have some more time later, feel free to apply again.
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 04:35:53 pm    Post subject:

Thank you. I don't think that time will be anytime soon, though.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 05:03:38 pm    Post subject:

IAmACalculator wrote:
I'd volunteer to help with spelling and grammar, but I don't know if I'd have enough time on my hands. Sorry.
[post="65794"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ditto. I am spending a lot of time on my own website right now, but Id be happy to help on the side. My qualifications are pretty much the same as Weregooses, except I test my work with Safari, FireFox, and Internet Explorer. I use Graphic Converter and the GIMP or my graphics work, and Im willing to use preexisting code that fits my purpose as long as its open source and I can modifiy it freely
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 05:38:21 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to ask, but do you have a web page that uses a DOCTYPE? Neutral
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 05:47:37 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Sorry to ask, but do you have a web page that uses a DOCTYPE? Neutral
[post="65817"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

who? me? or Ben
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 06:10:38 pm    Post subject:

You, elfprince13.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jan 2006 06:13:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 07:50:25 pm    Post subject:

Ben, I would like to assist in the revival as well.

My qualifications are PHP(3/4), Perl(5.x), HTML, XHTML, CSS, and SQL. Due to time constraints I would prefer to be dedicated to only the SQL portion of the coding, and occasionally offer assistance elsewhere. SQL is what I do for a living, so that is where I feel would be best suited to help this project.

I won't be able to help on a daily basis but I will be able to help at a minimum of once a week, and often more then that.

To see a sample of some of my latest web development work please visit these sites:
http://www.aliencc.com/
http://aliencc.unitedti.org/

--AlienCC

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jan 2006 07:51:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 07:53:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
You, elfprince13.

thought so, but wasn't sure. Yes I do...why?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jan 2006 07:58:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 08:43:55 pm    Post subject:

Maybe you should learn what a DOCTYPE is before saying you're as qualified as I am. Cool
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 08:48:09 pm    Post subject:

Meh. I'm not nearly as qualified as any of you. The only qualifications I have for any of these are: VERY limited HTML experience, limited VB6, and I'm a grammar nut.
Ben Trettel

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 09:18:54 pm    Post subject:

For those who would like to know, here's what from what I know is the latest example of what we are working with: http://dev.calc.org/glenn/

Much of that work is thanks to Glenn Murphy (lemming). The design was mine, made actually in Nov. - Dec. 2004 from what I remember! That's really how slow this project has been.

elfprince13, your website hasn't really impressed me very much. If you could provide some better examples of your ability I might consider your help in the coding. Other than coding, you probably could help out in spell checking and beta testing later in the project if you still would be interested.

AlienCC, your help would be extremely appreciated. Weregoose and I actually talked about that a bit on AIM before I logged off to do some running. I am sending an email to the address in your domain's whois. Not sure if that is your normal email address, so I thought it would be best to tell you.
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Jan 2006 09:33:15 pm    Post subject:

Wow. That looks nice. I especially like the "Top 10 Programs" list. Very Happy
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jan 2006 06:58:02 am    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Maybe you should learn what a DOCTYPE is before saying you're as qualified as I am. Cool
[post="65858"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know what I DOCTYPE is. I dont usually use them myself, although my forum does.
I use no broswer specific code (well unless you want to see my little joke to internet explorer users on the forum Smile but nothing critical)...
I wasn't saying so much that I was "as" qualified as you, so much as that my qualiications pretty much matched those you put into your post.

Ben Trettel wrote:
elfprince13, your website hasn't really impressed me very much.  If you could provide some better examples of your ability I might consider your help in the coding.  Other than coding, you probably could help out in spell checking and beta testing later in the project if you still would be interested.

http://rancidmoose.unitedti.org/Inventions19thCentury --Some of my PHP work. I know the color scheme isn't that great, but I never got around to fixing it.

http://rancidmoose.unitedti.org/MandanProject --Know you said you don't need Java, but this is another page I made.

I once configured CopperMine to run on a different domain and server then my phpBB board, while still using the same login info, although I later deleted it
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jan 2006 08:47:02 am    Post subject:

Don't take this the wrong way, I like your enthousiasm and I'm not the one here to judge you, but I would wait with announcing oneself as a qualified PHP or Java programmer untill at least writing a secure (XSS and SQL injection besides just the basic functionality exploits) reasonably standards compliant (no redundant statements, data echo'd by PHP conforms to strict xhtml standards, etc) template handler/CMS or two with some database functionality.

I'm just saying this because I want you to know that it will pay off far more if you can back your qualifications when someone asks you to write a simple secure CMS in a day, which you can't do unless you've done it a couple of times before so you won't have to look up code or sql statements all the time. Whereas if all you've done (with regards to web development) in PHP is putting echo "" around HTML code or with Java putting text in standard Java swing components and displaying them you'll disappoint yourself and your employer/partner when it takes weeks to make that CMS.

I've seen some of your Java work so I know you can learn to do it, I'm just saying you should make sure you have some actual experience beyond what I described above before making promises as I've made that mistake myself far too often. (resulting in having to work very hard indeed Cool, learning (Postgre)SQL database connections in Java well can be especially taxing on your dayly amount of sleep)

Good luck either way.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Jan 2006 08:52:36 am; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jan 2006 10:21:28 am    Post subject:

this is starting to go offtopic, and I done like sounding defensive, but I dont necessarily put everything I do online Smile, and Ive dont quite a bit more than
Quote:
Whereas if all you've done (with regards to web development) in PHP is putting echo "" around HTML code or with Java putting text in standard Java swing components and displaying them you'll disappoint yourself and your employer/partner when it takes weeks to make that CMS.

I've written a fully functional, flickerless, 4 directional scrolling engine in Java without the use of double-buffering

Last edited by Guest on 03 Jan 2006 01:10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jan 2006 11:03:38 am    Post subject:

Like I said, I know you can learn it, but it's the experience that makes one qualified. Experience in the appropriate subject.

Writing Java applets doesn't make you qualified for writing Java Servlet Pages just like writing a JSP CMS won't qualify you for writing a Java3D game. But because it's the same language you can most likely learn the other field of expertise as well.

I will say nothing further on this matter so you won't have to defend yourself.
0oruneo0

Posted: 03 Jan 2006 01:28:55 pm    Post subject:

I don't think I'm qualified to help you out too much, besides grammar and spelling =/

Anyways, the new site design is a giant improvement over the last, keep up the good work.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement