This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 03 Nov 2006 06:14:37 pm    Post subject:

I sent you a PM, requesting access to the files and tutorials. I would be more than happy to make them available again, through TI-Freakware...
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Nov 2006 06:20:38 pm    Post subject:

We (United-TI) would like them! It might take a while, but 3000 programs should definitely be up somewhere. And this is a good home for them to be.

Edit: of course then there's politics stuff about who gets them if many people ask for them and just eep... then again, there's no reason they couldn't be in two places at once.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Nov 2006 06:21:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Trettel

Posted: 03 Nov 2006 07:26:38 pm    Post subject:

I would love to donate the file archive to multiple people. However, it would really be best for the file archive to go to one place alone. I've already received numerous requests and I'm sure I'll receive more. The choice is mine really. Right now I'm more partial to United TI however because they are an established website and they have multiple people to screen each program. Request if you are interested however and I'll consider your website.

Before too many people request the file archive, I believe some of you should step back and realize what a task organizing this would be. This is not a small project. This is a major undertaking and is the reason I choose to not continue the project.

Many of the programs are older and not updated. Filtering them out would take a while. I myself found numerous outdated versions of Phoenix alone. Add onto that many other programs that were updated over the years.

Many of the programs are bad. Filtering out these would require one to test every program.

Many of these programs lack a description. That again would require manual testing to get a description.

The good thing about the program archive is that a lot of older programs that no one knows about. I mentioned an on-calc C compiler, which was only one of the programs I noticed. There's an old Sonic game that looked promising. There's a bunch of other stuff I haven't even looked at as well.

With so many programs to go through manually, in my opinion it would be best to screen the most promising sections such as assembly programs first. That would reduce the number of bad programs and was my original plan. It still is a large task however.

So, if you're still interested in getting the archive, let me know. Again, I'm partial to well established websites such as United TI, but ask anyway. I'll check my PMs daily for the next few days.

I will have an exact number of programs and the exact size of the archive in a few days. I need to copy the program archive off a DVD.

The entire subject of ending the project is saddening for me. I really had a vision for what I thought calc.org could be like, but it never panned out. Too bad. It really was something I felt the community could use. I might post some of my more unique ideas in the future when I am a little less busy, but that wouldn't be until next summer.
Madskillz

Posted: 04 Nov 2006 12:50:23 pm    Post subject:

Ben it is good to see you again mate...sorry to hear the calc.org is to be no more, but I expected that to be the case anyways. You made a valiant effort man!

I would give the tutorials to tifreak, he has from what I have seen the most extensive list of tutorials around.

As for files, I guess I could careless, but I do agree that they have to go to some place, I would say UTI, because they have some dedicated people and as a whole are a big Calc discussion site. I think it suits them the most.
Ben Trettel

Posted: 04 Nov 2006 04:20:58 pm    Post subject:

The program archive has been sent to United TI.

Based upon the screenshot filename list I sent DarkerLine, there are about 4200 programs in the old calc.org archive (from before 2002) and 300 in the newer calc.org archive (from after 2002), totaling about 4500 programs. Seems my memory was a little sketchy. That's a lot more programs than I had thought when posting initially. Most programs have screenshots as well.

Once these programs are made even partially available, I feel they will be a great asset for United TI. I would suggest marking which programs came from calc.org's archive for posterity.

The tutorials will go to tifreak once I find which backup DVD I put it on.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 04 Nov 2006 05:00:23 pm    Post subject:

Of course, now that our archives have suddenly become gigantic, ACC's rewrite of the download system is imperative.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 04 Nov 2006 06:13:49 pm    Post subject:

I suppose now would be a good time to remove calc.org from the list of TI sites on the front page?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Nov 2006 03:06:47 am    Post subject:

IAmACalculator wrote:
Of course, now that our archives have suddenly become gigantic, ACC's rewrite of the download system is imperative.
[post="90639"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Patience, please. There are only 5 weeks left until the end of this semester, roughly translated, I will have one or two tests a week until the last week where I will have Final exams for all classes. If that weren't bad enough I am working on a research paper during this time which will require a lot of extra work outside the normal bounds of homework. Now to further complicate, I will be starting a new job in two days.

Once the semester is over there will be a lot more time to continue work on the new website. The good news is I am done designing the most complex components, and about half of the work for the entire new site has been coded already.

--AlienCC
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement