This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
birdmanx35

Posted: 16 Mar 2006 08:28:28 pm    Post subject:

Back Pocket Calc, also known as BPC, has launched a programming contest to become a member of Back Pocket Calc.

To Find Out More about the Contest:
Download this Word Document. BPC will soon have a tab up on their site for the contest.

To Find Out More About BPC:

Click here.

To visit the BPC site

Click here.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Mar 2006 08:36:14 pm    Post subject:

what exactly is Back Pocket Calc? Do you have any program releases on ticalc.org that I can try out?

cool looking site btw
birdmanx35

Posted: 16 Mar 2006 08:40:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm the founder. As in the main post, you can find out more about BPC by clicking that link.

We're a small programming group of three freshman who code z80 TI-BASIC. We are mainly affiliated with TICALCS2, and have an exclusive policy for their downloads center (we will only break that once, this weekend). If you get an account on our site or TICALCS2, you can download some of our good programs:

GeoMath Suite: A geometry math program that I wrote.

Clean: A basic cleaning program with Modes (so you can choose what you want to do, unlike most of them)

Conversions: Will convert most numbers into different types of units.

Ben's Archive is coming up soon and will contain 30 of his programs.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Mar 2006 08:47:45 pm    Post subject:

okay. you will get wwwaaayyy more publicity if you add stuff to ticalc.org.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Mar 2006 08:49:32 pm    Post subject:

Back Pocket Calculator site wrote:
Ben W.- Resident Math Genius and TI-BASIC Guru. He's had his calculator for over three years (a TI-83+) and hopes to get a TI-89 soon. He hasn't really programmed much, but he knows how to do it.

Chris B.- Just got his TI-83+. Is learning to program as we speak.

Michael F.- Just got his TI-84+SE. He is the key founder of Back Pocket Calc.

History

One week, Michael was talking to Ben before History class. Ben was showing him the basics of writing a TI-BASIC program. Michael instantly fell in love and demanded that Ben let him borrow his calculator ASAP so he could program on it. Ben obliged quite frequently, and for the next few days Michael could be seen typing away on Ben's calculator. Michael was coding a basic math program that would find the lateral area and surface area of 3D objects with certain variables put in. Michael, however, had an idea. One Friday, he asked Ben to join him in a new calculator programming group- Back Pocket Calculator Corp. The reason for this naming was that Ben was always carrying his Calculator in his back pocket, and pulling it out in a tremendously geeky fashion (Ben does such things with finesse). Then Chris joined and it all is coming together. They hope to be debuting some programs within the next few months over at their site.
birdmanx35

Posted: 16 Mar 2006 08:51:09 pm    Post subject:

We're not looking for publicity (sp.). We are really just looking to program some good stuff. Why waste your time on other things when you have good programs? If you like our stuff thats fine with us. But we aren't going to go looking for you. When we break our policy this weekend (the new member can post on ticalc.org), it will be to put up an update to GMS on ticalc.org, and in that readme, it will state our exclusivity policy, and say if you want to have our programs, you have to come to us.

Anybody planning on entering? Heck, just for the fun of it right, even if you don't agree with our (understandably abnormal) philosophies.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Mar 2006 09:17:19 pm    Post subject:

Is the GeoMath Suite project page supposed to be inaccessible?
From the other two programs' coding, I'm not terribly impressed.

But, I'll be entering just for the fun of it. Wink
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 16 Mar 2006 10:45:31 pm    Post subject:

Your conversions program looks like a smaller version of mine: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/336/33608.html

Very professional site. Keep up the good work. Smile
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Mar 2006 10:58:28 pm    Post subject:

very impressive website

gl with the contest
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 02:42:19 am    Post subject:

Do you guys code in z80 Assembly at all? New groups are always cool ... what kind of programs do you guys wish to produce? Just tools? Or other stuff like games etc Smile.
birdmanx35

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 07:41:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Is the GeoMath Suite project page supposed to be inaccessible?

You need an account on our website to download our programs. GeoMath Suite is probably our best program right now.

Quote:
From the other two programs' coding, I'm not terribly impressed.

Conversions was Chris's first time at programming things. He will get better, you must have faith. Clean was something I did for myself and released it anyway because it does cleaning well, because of the modes feature. We've just started a couple of months ago. Our goal is to program really good stuff. The stuff we have done this far is just to get the hang of the basics. We only really picked it up two months ago. Ben's Archive is going to be great- nothing fancy, but 30 usable programs right off the bat is something no one can deny as good.

Quote:
But, I'll be entering just for the fun of it.

I'm glad to hear it. You'll see that eventually, we'll get known as a small group that codes good stuff and concentrates on quality and not anything else.

About the website, thanks. We used Drupal, which I've used before on other sites, such as teenpodcasters.com.

Quote:
Do you guys code in z80 Assembly at all? New groups are always cool ... what kind of programs do you guys wish to produce? Just tools? Or other stuff like games etc.

We don't currently code in z80 ASM, but if we feel the urge to learn it we will. Thanks about the new groups. But I think over the next few months you'll find that we aren't just any new group, because of our UNIQUE philosophies. Remember, you don't have to follow our exclusivity policy if you are an author for our contest. And it's definitly worth your time to enter in this contest. By word of mouth alone, really, we'll be getting a bit of publicity because of our ethics and how we concentrate simply on quality. I think it's fair to say you'll be happy you spent the time entering and contributing to this group.

We want to code really anything, as long as it's quality. We're dipping our toes into TI-BASIC now- you'll love our stuff regardless of whether you can use it or not soon enough.

Thanks for the attention folks. Any way you could help promote this contest would be great. We would really like to see some good submissions and a new member.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 02:38:52 pm    Post subject:

Like everyone said, nice HTML/CSS/etc. I wish I could say the same about the TI-Basic :\
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 02:59:31 pm    Post subject:

The site is based on a well-known CMS called Drupal. So it's not that impressive Smile Let's see what these guys come up with. Impress us!
birdmanx35

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 03:16:10 pm    Post subject:

No, it's not that impressive. But our calculator programs will be and we hope your entries will be too.

And, about the TI-BASIC, we're putting our feet in the water. No one comes out excellent- we'll be excellent soon enough.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Mar 2006 03:17:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 03:27:48 pm    Post subject:

Good enough. Yeah, it sounded from your description as if you're new to TI-BASIC; we'll see how that goes. If you need help with optimizations, feel free to check out the forums at http://www.cemetech.net/forum , and for an online code viewer/editor, try http://sc.cemetech.net .
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 03:53:37 pm    Post subject:

you can also get good optimizations by joining Goose's #optimize channel
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 04:23:03 pm    Post subject:

Indeedy.
birdmanx35

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 04:27:03 pm    Post subject:

We learn quickly and apply it quickly. I think you will find that at the rate we are going, that this contest will be a good chance for people to get into our memberlist, which will be VERY rare.

I've already used SourceCoder one dozens of times and it will help us with our contest. Thanks, Kerm, for making such a great tool. And the Elite Guide to TI-BASIC: that has helped us a lot. You should make a beginner's tutorial, I'm sure it would kick butt.

Thanks for your support, everyone. I hope you can put that support into this contest, which is our first public event and interaction with the general TI Community. Anyway you can support or promote this would be great.
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 05:56:45 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a good challenge. I might try. Smile
birdmanx35

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 06:03:59 pm    Post subject:

I hope so.

Also, we have officially changed the rules so that you can now program 68k. We will test them on an emulator.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement