This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 07:00:14 pm    Post subject:

I'll enter. But don't expect anything extremely graphical.
birdmanx35

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 07:14:03 pm    Post subject:

Sounds fine.

Remember, all "idea entries" are due 3/26/06! This is VERY simple and is provided on our site. You can read the rules online here.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 07:35:02 pm    Post subject:

When you say "we will test them on an emulator" do you mean that you don't actually have a 68k calculator?
birdmanx35

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 08:00:53 pm    Post subject:

Exactly what we mean. We have TI-83+'s and TI-84+SE.
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 08:02:38 pm    Post subject:

Then I sincerely hope that you're using the OS's and not a ROM, as that wouldn't be legal.
birdmanx35

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 08:28:56 pm    Post subject:

Back Pocket Calc will make sure that we follow the rules. Thanks for reminding us.

So, is there anyone here that will help us publicize this contest?
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 08:32:54 pm    Post subject:

Alright, something in there looked a little suspicious to me.

Quote:
This file should be formatted in ASCII Text (no html, rtf, etc.)

This file must contain the following:

- Description of all included files in the archive.

- Instructions for Installing, and Using the program.

- If program requires an assembly library such as (Omnicalc, XLib, etc.) and if so which.

- Credits to Authors for any code contained in the program that was not written by yourself.

- Any addition information you find pertinent or wish to include

Now, I copied and pasted that directly from http://www.backpocketcalc.com/?q=contestrules

This tickled an old memory so I went back and checked, yup, that's exactly what you did too- from http://basiccontest.unitedti.org/rules.php Dry

I don't know where else you did this, this is the only bit I caught -- but maybe you should actually bother to write your own rules next time? :?

[EDIT]

Ahh:

Quote:
Some of these contest rules have come from other contests that have been held, in order to streamline the contest process. These include United TI’s Basic Contest and Detached Solution’s ASM Contest.

Sorry, didn't notice that. However, I'm still of the opinion that that doesn't make it right- at the very least you should have asked permission.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Mar 2006 08:34:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 08:41:08 pm    Post subject:

It is copyrighted, after all.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 08:42:52 pm    Post subject:

[...content removed...]

@Weregoose: The UTI Basic Rules? *checks*

[EDIT]
Quote:
09-01-2005 V 1 Copyright © 2005, UnitedTI.Org, All rights reserved.

Yup, you were right.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Mar 2006 08:46:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 08:55:25 pm    Post subject:

No prob re: SourceCoder and the 1337. Just don't let JPez get to you, he can be a bit territorial sometimes. Smile
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 09:02:16 pm    Post subject:

I'll give the link to that reference: Very Happy
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 09:11:05 pm    Post subject:

It was hilarious in its own way, though of course uncalled-for. Smile
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 09:32:09 pm    Post subject:

I smell a lawsuit... you'll be able to pay the sites cost for years!!! *Kidding for those who can't figure this out*
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 09:51:30 pm    Post subject:

http://www.backpocketcalc.com/?q=contest wrote:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: node_load() in /homepages/1/d132351061/htdocs/bpc/modules/poll.module on line 206
???

EDIT:
http://www.packpocketcalc.com/ wrote:
Page not found
???

Last edited by Guest on 17 Mar 2006 09:52:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
birdmanx35

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 10:09:41 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, our db got corrupted. WE are fixing it.

About the permission- I figured they wouldn't mind. Sorry to anyone who would. At least we credited them. We wanted to streamline the process for all.

And it's the only place we did that. The rest is just ideas "stolen" from other contests.
Thanatos

Posted: 18 Mar 2006 03:39:16 am    Post subject:

Several questions/statements:

1.) I already finished the game, without actually coming up with the idea seperately. That is, I programmed the game pretty much immediately after I came up with the idea (I tend to do that, or I lose my ideas). Is that OK?
2.) I'd rather not give my name out, First or Last. Would the pseudoname 'Thanatos' be fine?
3.) Ditto goes to the description information. I pretty much am paranoid that way, and the only things I'll tell you are the things everyone else on the IRC channels know.
4.) Go on the IRC channels. It's much better than the forums, in my opinion. That way, you'll be able to talk to the UTI/Omnimaga members, and get some help from Weregoose & Others at #Optimize.
5.) Like I said, the program is already done and made. I will be including a .txt about how to play the game, although it should not be hard to pick up. Seeing as how I have no Calc <-> PC link cable, the entire program is in a .txt file. I think that's how you wanted it originally? Because your rules include adding to the .txt file on how to 'install' the game? Might help to clarify this.

Other than that, thanks. Oh, BTW. If any of you have AIM, It'd be great to chat with you guys. Also, it'd be my preferred method of sending you the file and generally telling you ANYTHING about me. Or on the IRC channel. Whatever you prefer.

I'm done.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Mar 2006 10:02:52 am    Post subject:

I can't use the IRC channel on my computer.

If you write a works cited page in MLA format you should be legal and UTI couldn't sue.
birdmanx35

Posted: 18 Mar 2006 11:50:16 am    Post subject:

To Thanatos:

1.) As long as it hasn't already been released, you can submit most anything.
2.) Pseudonames are fine, but a first name would be nice. However, we understand privacy.
3.) Description information can just be a little bit about you. What you like to do, why you call yourself Thanatos, and a bit of your programming history should be good. That should be acceptable to you, as it doesn't reveal anything. This is so that, if you win, we know somewhat about you, which would make us feel a little bit more comfortable about having a stranger on our site, posting to the front page.
4.) Thanks for the tip!
5.) If it's in a .txt file, please convert it using one of the SourceCoders. By the .txt file, we mean a basic readme file that comes with most programs. Please use the format that we described. If you have any questions, you can PM me on the TICALCS2 forums, email me, or PM me at any of the other forums I am on. My email is birdmanx35@gmail.com.

I have AIM- try commonercast or birdmanx35.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Mar 2006 03:08:33 pm    Post subject:

#1:
IAmACalculator wrote:
When you say "we will test them on an emulator" do you mean that you don't actually have a 68k calculator?[post="72493"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
birdmanx35 wrote:
Exactly what we mean. We have TI-83+'s and TI-84+SE.[post="72500"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
No... it's ILLEGAL to do that.

#2:
birdmanx35 wrote:
So, is there anyone here that will help us publicize this contest?[post="72504"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
There's a UTI contest coming up also.

#3:
birdmanx35 wrote:
Yeah, our db got corrupted. WE are fixing it.

About the permission- I figured they wouldn't mind. Sorry to anyone who would. At least we credited them. We wanted to streamline the process for all.[post="72517"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
birdmanx35 wrote:
And it's the only place we did that. The rest is just ideas "stolen" from other contests.[post="72518"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Please don't double post carelessly. Use the button instead.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Mar 2006 03:09:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 Mar 2006 03:19:42 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
No... it's ILLEGAL to do that.
[post="72555"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

IAmACalculator wrote:
Then I sincerely hope that you're using the OS's and not a ROM, as that wouldn't be legal.
[post="72502"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not if they followed my advice and swapped to using the OS.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement