This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 09:53:19 am    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
The Ti-82 Shell is installed on the Ti-82 by sending a backup to the calc, much like the Ti-85. However on the Ti-85 asm programs were stored as strings, and executed from the shell which was accessible from the custom menu. On the Ti-82 asm programs are stored as programs, and executed from the shell which is also a program. You see the Ti-82 isn't that different from the Ti-83 in how pre-compiled asm works, aside from initial loading of the shell.

--AlienCC
[post="93364"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I just saw somewhere that, in order to execute an 83 asm program, you had to type Send(9prgmNAME. Why? I always assumed that the claim that the 83 has built-in asm support meant that it had an asm( token just like the 83+. The send(9 thing seems like a hack. Is it this way on the 82?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 10:46:53 pm    Post subject:

With the 82, you just run the shell from the PRGM list. At that point, any ASM program containing a special character in its name appears on the shell's menu. Since there's no ASM( command, only the shell can work from the homescreen (running your ASM progs from the homescreen gives a syntax error).
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Dec 2006 10:50:22 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
With the 82, you just run the shell from the PRGM list.  At that point, any ASM program containing a special character in its name appears on the shell's menu.  Since there's no ASM( command, only the shell can work from the homescreen (running your ASM progs from the homescreen gives a syntax error).
[post="93431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That makes sense, but how do the 82 and the 83 actually execute an asm program? At some point, it has to transition from BASIC to asm code.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Dec 2006 03:23:36 pm    Post subject:

The shell comes with a real var that holds a shell pointer (always toward the $8D00's). The real gets copied into another var (don't know the details of how) in a way that sends the PC register to $8D24. At that point the shell is doing pure ASM code.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Dec 2006 03:25:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Dec 2006 10:39:32 am    Post subject:

Recursive Acronym wrote:
The send(9 thing seems like a hack...[post="93368"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
It was a backdoor created by one of the 83's designers. Don't ask me why they put it in, they just did. Razz
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Dec 2006 10:50:36 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
The shell comes with a real var that holds a shell pointer (always toward the $8D00's).  The real gets copied into another var (don't know the details of how) in a way that sends the PC register to $8D24.  At that point the shell is doing pure ASM code.
[post="93467"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Do you know where to find these details (cuz I found nothing helpful in the shells' readmes)? It would be crazy awesome if you could do this on the 83+ too (think "embedded assembly code").
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Dec 2006 12:05:12 pm    Post subject:

IAmACalculator wrote:
Recursive Acronym wrote:
The send(9 thing seems like a hack...[post="93368"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
It was a backdoor created by one of the 83's designers. Don't ask me why they put it in, they just did. Razz
[post="93498"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Its quite simple, they wanted a way to pass the time when they were testing it, so they made a backdoor to play *insert fav. game here*. :P

Quote:
(think "embedded assembly code").

oooohh, think of the possiblities. Smile
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Dec 2006 02:57:40 am    Post subject:

Unfortunantly, the shell makers decided to play keepaway and not realease any useful info on their work. It might be possible to go in VTI, de-protect the PGRM and see what the editor has to say. Maybe there's some kind of Goto involved. DWedit might have more info.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 02:37:17 pm    Post subject:

I was gonna wait till October (aka: "bump month") to revive this, but what the heck...

Anybody have something to add for N-Spire?
ztrumpet

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 03:56:46 pm    Post subject:

Why is October "bump" month?
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Jul 2009 05:25:15 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:

That's what I wanted to know!!!

I think that the NSpire is hard to program for, although I have seen one in person, and it has great grayscale.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 01:47:13 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:

For some reason, we get more necroposting around Haloween.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Jul 2009 01:47:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Igrek

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 04:20:00 pm    Post subject:

I have a possible explanation for this spooky phenomena Razz :
In September a lot of students get their first calculator, by the end of October some find out that there is a community that makes programs for those calculator. They join UTI (or something else) and they start searching for something... When they find something complicated, and potentially very old, they ask questions about it.
ahudson

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 05:40:36 pm    Post subject:

The first post forgot to mention the following features in the TI-86:
<>Built-in unit conversion
<>Larger screen
<>Better menu handling
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 05:54:14 pm    Post subject:

*Added *

Can you rephrase or elaborate on "Better menu handling?"
ahudson

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 06:52:25 pm    Post subject:

On a TI-85/86, when you open a menu, it appears on the bottom of the screen until you press the Exit key. While it is open, you can select an item however many times you want.
For example:
If for some strange reason you want to use the ! command about 5 times, all you do is this:
[2nd][MATH][F2][F1][F1][F1][F1][F1]
You could also type it in.

On an 83 Plus, you have to do this:
[MATH][◄][4][MATH][◄][4][MATH][◄][4][MATH][◄][4][MATH][◄][4]

8 keystrokes compared with 15. The Ti-86 menus are much better, especially when entering a command multiple times.
StupidUser

Posted: 09 Nov 2010 10:47:41 pm    Post subject:

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I posted the following question in another forum (ticalcs.net) and was given a link to an emulator on this site that is taking me too long to find. Since you guys seem very TI-calculator knowledgeable, maybe you won't mind if I just ask it here:

Does Nspire without CAS have more complex variable features than a TI-84?

I am taking a graduate Complex Variables class now. I have a TI-84+ Silver. It has some rudimentary complex number capabilities (adding, subtracting and a few more). However, it will not do more complex ones, like sine/cos/log and many more functions of complex numbers.

I am not allowed to use a calculator with a computer algebra system (CAS), but could use an Nspire without CAS. If I'm reading the marketing material correctly, it is used the same was as my TI-84, so would not require significant re-education.

But what is not clear is does Nspire w/out CAS have more complex variable capabilities than the TI-84?

Will it take me a lot of time to learn to use the Nspire (the one without CAS)?

A lesser requirement: I would like a computer interface so I can use the calculator and write simple programs (like sin(<complexNumber>) directly on my Windows computer (with the better keyboard and mouse). But this is a secondary feature. (Say, maybe you guys know if I can do that for my 84+SE, too. Where do I post that question?)

Thanks, all.

Also, forgive my curiosity, but...
DigiTan wrote:

The TI-82 display isn't mapped to RAM meaning it has to be updated using a slower port-based method (either the built-in ROM call or the slightly-faster routine included in the shell). Any full-screen grayscale will flicker unless you're doing a still image--and even then, it's still noticeable. Limited grayscale.
...is gaming really the primary purpose of these calculators for some people?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Nov 2010 05:47:07 am    Post subject:

Your calculator is more flexible than you give credit! Let me save you some trouble.

Press [PRGM], highlight NEW, and hit enter. Name it "SIN", or something witty.

When you arrive at the editor, type this in (though, be sure to distinguish subtraction from negation):

PROGRAM:SIN
:[font=times new roman]i
/2([font=times new roman]e
^(-[font=times new roman]iAns)-[font=times new roman]e^([font=times new roman]iAns

Press [2ND] and [MODE] to go back to the home screen. Now, if you want to perform the sine function on the result from the last computation that was done on the home screen, run this program by selecting it from the [PRGM] EXEC menu.

You may even attach your input with a colon on the home screen like so: 3-2[font=times new roman]i:prgmSIN

Here are the operations for other trig functions (logarithms are already supported):

PROGRAM:COS
:1/2([font=times new roman]e
^(-[font=times new roman]iAns)+[font=times new roman]e^([font=times new roman]iAns

PROGRAM:ARCSIN
:-[font=times new roman]iln([font=times new roman]iAns+√(1-Ans[font=verdana]²

PROGRAM:ARCCOS
:-[font=times new roman]π/2+[font=times new roman]iln([font=times new roman]iAns+√(1-Ans[font=verdana]²

PROGRAM:SINH
:1/2([font=times new roman]e^(Ans)-[font=times new roman]e^(-Ans

PROGRAM:COSH
:1/2([font=times new roman]e^(Ans)+[font=times new roman]e^(-Ans

PROGRAM:ARCSINH
:ln(Ans+√(1+Ans[font=verdana]²

PROGRAM:ARCCOSH
:ln(Ans+√(-1+Ans[font=verdana]²

Secant, cosecant, tangent, and cotangent (as well as their hyperbolic counterparts) should be fairly easy to write.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Nov 2010 05:56:45 am; edited 1 time in total
StupidUser

Posted: 26 Nov 2010 04:07:03 am    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:

Your calculator is more flexible than you give credit! Let me save you some trouble.

Press [PRGM], highlight NEW, and hit enter. Name it "SIN", or something witty.

When you arrive at the editor, type this in (though, be sure to distinguish subtraction from negation):

PROGRAM:SIN
:[font=times new roman]i
/2([font=times new roman]e^(-[font=times new roman]iAns)-[font=times new roman]e^([font=times new roman]iAns

Press [2ND] and [MODE] to go back to the home screen. Now, if you want to perform the sine function on the result from the last computation that was done on the home screen, run this program by selecting it from the [PRGM] EXEC menu.

You may even attach your input with a colon on the home screen like so: 3-2[font=times new roman]i:prgmSIN

Here are the operations for other trig functions (logarithms are already supported):

PROGRAM:COS
:1/2([font=times new roman]e
^(-[font=times new roman]iAns)+[font=times new roman]e^([font=times new roman]iAns

PROGRAM:ARCSIN
:-[font=times new roman]iln([font=times new roman]iAns+√(1-Ans[font=verdana]²

PROGRAM:ARCCOS
:-[font=times new roman]π/2+[font=times new roman]iln([font=times new roman]iAns+√(1-Ans[font=verdana]²

PROGRAM:SINH
:1/2([font=times new roman]e^(Ans)-[font=times new roman]e^(-Ans

PROGRAM:COSH
:1/2([font=times new roman]e^(Ans)+[font=times new roman]e^(-Ans

PROGRAM:ARCSINH
:ln(Ans+√(1+Ans[font=verdana]²

PROGRAM:ARCCOSH
:ln(Ans+√(-1+Ans[font=verdana]²

Secant, cosecant, tangent, and cotangent (as well as their hyperbolic counterparts) should be fairly easy to write.

How about a program for square root, where the number under the radical (the radicand?) might be negative? How could I program them to accept a parameter or, if none is provided, to use the previous Answer?
Thanks.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Nov 2010 04:39:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Nov 2010 04:04:52 pm    Post subject:

Select a+b[font=times new roman]i from the MODE screen, or add a +0[font=times new roman]i term to the radicand to force the mode for the individual computation.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement