This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Robot War => Your Projects
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 11:21:35 am    Post subject:

I put the game on my calc for the first time yesterday and so far it's looking pretty sharp. The Oceanside maps are done so now it's time to add character dialogs. A while ago, I found a way to print dialogs on-screen without dropping the frame rate. This was mostly a tool to allow tile animation to continue and possibly allow some in-game cinematics.

Now that text works, I need to decide if physics should continue running if your character enters a dialog. Note stopping the physics engine wouldn't stop tile animation or the ability to scroll. But everything else: the character, badniks, warheads, and shadows would be paused. As usual there are pros & cons to keeping things real-time. I probably won't do beta testing on this, so I'm here to get input from everyone before I code the rest of that part. So here are some of the effects of continuing physics during character dialogs:

YAY! The dialog is king! Nuts to the physics!
* No Visibility Problems - You won't have to battle in a tiny screen space. Can't get caught with pants down while dialogging.
* No D-Pad Conflict - Who would want to battle and navigate menus simultaneously?
* No Infomation Overload - You're never forced to read and battle at the same time
* No Attention Split - You're most likely to remember what was said if you're not dodging warheads
* No Event conflicts - Some dialogs trigger events (eg: locking/unlocking of doors) that would cause problems if you're running who-knows-where.

NO WAI! Let the physics continute!
* More realism - Real conversations don't occour in bullet-time
* More tension - Enemies can still attack. Better to clear an area out before yapping away
* Better flow - Frozen enemies on un-frozen sceanery look weird
* Requires focus - A character dialog is no longer a 'pause screen.' Have to stay alert
* No missed powerups - Can still catch coins and other powerups that appear

[edit]
Stuff rephrased for de-yay/nay mixupification.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Sep 2006 05:25:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 01:52:14 pm    Post subject:

dude, I love this idea, WAI
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 03:56:56 pm    Post subject:

yay. It adds a challenge, and trudging through text boxes is the most boring part of most RPG's. If it's too difficult maybe give the player a defensive advantage while speaking or something to balance it a little.

EDIT: My "yes" vote is for NOT pausing. Should that be a no?

Last edited by Guest on 13 Sep 2006 03:59:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 04:00:10 pm    Post subject:

Given the poll question, voting for "Yes" means that you want the bad guys to freeze.

If you want to correct your vote, reply or send me a PM stating:
"I do want physics to stop!" or "I do not want physics to stop!"

Last edited by Guest on 13 Sep 2006 04:09:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 04:33:10 pm    Post subject:

D'oh! I guess I butchered my post. The post should read: Yay for stopping physics and NO WAI for it to keep going. Cool
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 04:50:13 pm    Post subject:

ok, make that a no wai then. I'll change my poll vote.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 05:23:58 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I'll just reset the polls now that everythings corrected. I've got to quit drinking steak sause.
chipmaster

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 06:49:01 pm    Post subject:

Definitely allow the physics engine to continue. Most people just smash the buttons when they get stuck at a dialog screen and become frustrated. Now you can give them something productive to do.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 08:51:34 am    Post subject:

do you have any screenshots of this feature in action?
chipmaster

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 02:13:35 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Now that text works, I need to decide if physics should continue running if your character enters a dialog.  Note stopping the physics engine wouldn't stop tile animation or the ability to scroll.  But everything else: the character, badniks, warheads, and shadows would be paused.  As usual there are pros & cons to keeping things real-time.  I probably won't do beta testing on this, so I'm here to get input from everyone before I code the rest of that part.  So here are some of the effects of continuing physics during character dialogs:

But I'm sure everyone would love more screenies. I can't get enough screenies of Robot War. I loved the last ones. :biggrin:
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 10:48:55 pm    Post subject:

Keep the stuff going.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Sep 2006 10:33:50 am    Post subject:

Okay, I'll post up the dialogging screen after I finish the shop/inn codes. Currently, I have it where you have unrestricted movement in a dialog (so does the guy you're talking to) so conversations keep going even if you leave the region.

For menus, I was thinking I should cap the character's speed to 0 during a dialog. That way, you can still point him in directions to lauch counterattacks, but you wouldn't walk out of the area. Most citizens are free-roaming, so they need the speed limit also. Jump still works with [2ND], and attacking with [ALPHA] stops the dialog for when you get ambushed.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Sep 2006 10:34:54 am; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Oct 2006 07:32:29 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I found a neat solution to all of it.
Monologs:
To talk to somebody, bump into them (sometimes they come to you). Everything keeps running like normal while the monolog is showing.

To stop talking, you simply walk away a few tiles. [Alpha] has the same effect.

If it's a long monolog, advance to the next sentence using [2nd] (it still makes you jump, also).

Dialogs:
If someone gives you a YES/NO option, do [2nd] for yes, and [Alpha] or walk away to decline.

Interfaces:
Shopping is similar, but you only have left and right movement. The up/down keys cycle through the store's inventory. [2nd] purchases. Walking away or [Alpha] quits.
---------
Anyway, that's simplest method I could come up with. The drop in game speed is unnoticeable. Short monologs are already supported and I'll try to get the shop working by Wednesday.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Oct 2006 07:35:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Oct 2006 07:38:30 pm    Post subject:

/me begs for screeny.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2006 06:17:51 pm    Post subject:

Yep, I got nice screenshot today of a dialog, the shop interface, and the stats screen. (Will probably go for a shorter one tomorrow). Buying items is really fast now: run to the shopkeep, push 2nd, run out.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Oct 2006 04:27:47 pm    Post subject:

New screen with non-pausing monologs posted today. The next trailer will be ready Nov 18th.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Nov 2006 12:21:48 am; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Nov 2006 08:15:57 am    Post subject:

HOLY CRAP DUDE!!!!!! THAT IS INSANE!!!!
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 01 Nov 2006 08:49:26 pm    Post subject:

zOMG This is so nice!!!!!

*pokes myself back to work
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Nov 2006 01:52:25 pm    Post subject:

Level 2 will have even crazier enemies than Oceanside! Very Happy I've got a trailer soundtrack picked out (courtesy of ParagonX9 from Newgrounds.com). Just need to get more battle footage recorded.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement