This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Alan

Posted: 12 Sep 2003 09:33:51 pm    Post subject:

I have heard a lot about people getting sued for dowloading, but mostly uploading, copyrighted files on Kazaa. I dont have any links to news articles yet so if you have any post them. I have deleted Kazaa from my computer to be safe and i hardly used it when i had it so im not missing it specially with my 40kps connection. Discuss this here.
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Sep 2003 09:52:07 pm    Post subject:

I am not sure if they are targeting Kazaa Lite users yet or not, but I am off. This fear tactic may be cheap, but it works - a friend of mine at school is being sued from the RIAA. Here is a link to an article and "hit list": http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0...3484600,00.html.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Ninjas hate the RIAA.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Sep 2003 10:00:44 pm    Post subject:

ironic: they sue us but still want us to buy their CDs
go figure.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Sep 2003 01:49:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Chef

Posted: 12 Sep 2003 10:13:45 pm    Post subject:

the thing is we should not buy their cd's

we have to resist
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 03:58:02 am    Post subject:

They mainly (only?) target people who use Kazaa and actually share (a lot?) music.

I just hope they sue somebody with enough money to get a decent lawyer and countersue those RIAA idiots for some legal issue with what they're doing they 'overlooked'. That ought to be a laugh.

I've still got Kazaa (Lite) installed but it's been over a month since I last downloaded anything with it and I've got sharing turned off and something that keeps people from looking at the files I have on. Besides, they (can?) only operate in the US so I don't have to worry.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 03:09:27 pm    Post subject:

Yes, it is ironic.

I got a notice in the mail aking me to delete all the MP3's I have downloaded without paying for and sign saying I would not download music without paying for it.

I brought my notice to the lawyers at my place of work, and they said: "Do not sign the agreement becasue it is an admission of guilt."

I have not signed or returned the agreement, nor have I had to go to court.

If any of you gus get something by mail, do not sign it unless you want to go to court and have the music companies sue the crap out of you.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 03:41:38 pm    Post subject:

hehehe, i use BearShare, and it is the best thing ever... i never share though... maybe that is my problem... jk! lol
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 08:51:45 pm    Post subject:

One way they actually find that you have illegal junk on your comp is by actually scanning your shared folder. I have no idea how they do it, but I know they can somehow, mabey if your a dumb*** and you have your music folder on a network. Ive seen huge lists of all the RIAA ips and such, so that you can add them to your firewall. If you have a firewall at all, your probly safe, if they really can. Just my 2 cents.

Imp
yugniht

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 08:55:30 pm    Post subject:

I heard that they are only targeting people that share A LOT of files, like over a 1000 or something. Confused
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 08:56:25 pm    Post subject:

Umm, if you are on Kazaa you can see the entire contents of your shared folder by viewing "localhost:1214", as 1214 is the port Kazaa runs on. So, they just find the IP of a certain user (or pick a radnom IP), and view port 1214 on it. Also, a few facts. CD sales have actually risen somewhat in many of the years the RIAA have claimed they have fallen due to filesharing, and the actual artists themselves have received not a penny from the hundreds of thousands of dollars the RIAA have collected from previous cases against filesharing.

Ninjas fuck the system. Fuck, ninjas, fuck!
Flash
Umpa Loompa

Posted: 13 Sep 2003 09:14:13 pm    Post subject:

RIAA reminds me of Bill Gates... Evil!!! Mad
enyway i switched to limewire since i "accidently" deleted a file from kazaa during one of my many delightful freezes. limewire is cheaper but it was the only thing i could think of when i was in my "a windows and their conspiracy with kazaa" mood. limewire has been great! i only downloaded 1 thing so far, but after i deleted all my useless kazaa files my google pop-ups have misteriallysly dissapeard. Confused

Wacko Wacko Wacko
Flash is lazy and can't spell.
Wacko Wacko Wacko
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Sep 2003 03:12:35 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
One way they actually find that you have illegal junk on your comp is by actually scanning your shared folder. I have no idea how they do it, but I know they can somehow, mabey if your a dumb*** and you have your music folder on a network.

They can either do it the hard way (see KD5YTX's post) or just use kazaa (the irony)...

You start by searching for a file, then you right click on any of the results and press 'find more from same > user', after which you can look at the entire content of that user's shared folder.

Quote:
I heard that they are only targeting people that share A LOT of files, like over a 1000 or something.

Jup.

Quote:
"damn windows and their conspiracy with kazaa"

Huh? Did I miss something?
DmitriB

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2003 08:49:55 am    Post subject:

you shouldnt use any filesharing right now. even limewire is being targeted so its not safe at all. just thought that you should know that.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Sep 2003 09:56:28 am    Post subject:

Something to read. I didn't read it all, since it becomes a bunch of opinions of 'important' business-men in the end, but here's the main info:
Quote:
WASHINGTON (September 8, 2003) -The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) announced today that its member companies have filed the first wave of what could ultimately be thousands of civil lawsuits against major offenders who have been illegally distributing substantial amounts (averaging more than 1,000 copyrighted music files each) of copyrighted music on peer- to-peer networks.
Quote:
At the same time, the RIAA announced that the industry is prepared to grant what amounts to amnesty to P2P users who voluntarily identify themselves and pledge to stop illegally sharing music on the Internet. The RIAA will guarantee not to sue file sharers who have not yet been identified in any RIAA investigations and who provide a signed and notarized affidavit in which they promise to respect recording-company copyrights.

I wonder if that's not just a trick like the one Jbirk recieved in his mail.
Quote:
"We've been telling people for a long time that file sharing copyrighted music is illegal, that you are not anonymous when you do it, and that engaging in it can have real consequences"
Am I the only one who had never heard of RIAA before they started sueing people?
Quote:
Additional education efforts include more than four million Instant Messages sent since May directly to infringers on the Kazaa and Grokster networks warning them that they are not anonymous when they illegally offer copyrighted music on these networks and that they could face legal action if they didn't stop. The RIAA sent such a warning notice to virtually every Kazaa and Grokster user who was sued today.
In other words, if you get a message from them (meaning they already have access to your ip and such) don't be an idiot and just quit filesharing (for a while at least). The main defence anyone has on the net is that they are 1 of x billion users online, when you recieve a warning you've already lost that line of defence.
Quote:
The RIAA announced on June 25 that it would be gathering evidence in order to bring lawsuits in September against computer users who illegally distribute copyrighted music through such peer-to-peer file distribution networks as Kazaa and Grokster. Individuals caught distributing copyrighted files on Kazaa, Grokster, Imesh, Gnutella, and Blubster were targeted in this initial round.
So it's not just Kazaa users.

I still haven't found anything about wether it's just in the US and Canada.
Flash
Umpa Loompa

Posted: 14 Sep 2003 11:48:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Quote:
  "damn windows and their conspiracy with kazaa"

Huh? Did I miss something?

no... windows just "accidently" deleted one of my kazaa files during of its its very delightful freezes, thus kazaa didnt work when i rebooted. that would make most people redownload kazaa (most wouldnt even delete the old one) causeing more popups, more more crap on your cmputer that you dont want, and eventually the really stupid ones would go out and buy a new computer making bill gates ever so richer

Wacko Wacko Wacko
flash is lazy, yet stealthy... few see flash do work
Wacko Wacko Wacko
Alan

Posted: 14 Sep 2003 02:28:53 pm    Post subject:

jbirk, could you post the contents of the letter you got from the RIAA here for us to see? Sensor parts of it if you dont want to share them. Thanks.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 02:39:56 pm    Post subject:

Gah, I forgot about the port trick. Ive tried it a few times, but it hasnt worked, mabey the other guy was too slow :P

Imp
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 08:01:16 pm    Post subject:

It would be very unwise for him to post any of it from a legal stand point.

--AlienCC
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 11:16:29 pm    Post subject:

The RIAA have been raping 'everybody' for decades. They have been making billions and billions of dollars, and the artists who actually do the 'work' barely ever see a dime. Then when they only make a few billion one year the get all cranky because they have to wait another 6 months to buy that island they have all wanted.

I say screw the RIAA. It's about time they got a taste of their own medicine. They make it sound like downloading mp3's is equivilent to mass murder or something. I have also heard them say that people are ripping off artists by downloading their music?!?! .... If so then why arent the artists complaining...anly the RIAA?!?! As i said before, the artists dont make jack sh|t from record sales.

I hope that people fileshare even more...and all the record industries die lonely and broke Laughing.

I dont use kazaa for downloading mp3's anyway.......only for other things... Very Happy.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Sep 2003 11:17:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Sep 2003 08:07:25 am    Post subject:

i agree. the artists should get the money from the suing if anybody does. they could refuse to sing or somthing til they do ge more of the money!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement