This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calc.org Archive Sorting => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 05:33:18 pm    Post subject:

For now, we're going to be just sorting the files. When we're done, the goal is to have a structure somewhat like the following:

TI-xx\TI-xx Basic\Category\Program Name
OR
TI-XX\TI-xx Assembly (Shell title)\Category\Program Name

where the category is one of the following:
Games
Math & Science
Media (that is, animations, screensavers, as well as anything that isn't a program)
Routines (not stand-alone programs, e.g. code for converting number to string)
Shells
Utilities
Miscellaneous (only for the weirdest stuff, e.g. french verb conjugator or random insult program)
if you see something you think should get its own category, or disagree with mine, talk to me.

Each program will be in its own folder that should contain:
program.zip
description.txt with:
Full Title
Author
Description
any screenshots
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 05:36:31 pm    Post subject:

I propose switching asm/basic and category.
TI-xx\Category\Basic\Program Name
Ti-xx\Category\Asm\Name

If I wanted to look for, say, a factoring program I don't want to have to look in both assembly and basic. I wouldn't go to the archives thinking "hmm I want an assembly program" > "do I want a game or math utility?"
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 05:37:15 pm    Post subject:

How we're going to do this:

everyone's going to get several folders e.g. e.g. TI-73, or TI-83+ Assembly (Ion) and TI-83+ Assembly (MirageOS). In a convenient .zip folder.

The structure we want will exist up to \Category\, but I don't know if it's going to be correct. You'll have to look at the programs in order to check this. The "Miscellaneous" category is especially dubious. Some people might get an "unsorted" category which is exactly what it says.

To get the description and title for each program: there are two files, dimti.sql and progs3.txt which might have it (both attached to this post). Ctrl+F for the name of the .zip file, and be sure to check if it's the right one if it's something like tetris.zip that several programs could share.
If there is no description in either of these files, check if there's a readme or something inside the program.
If there isn't, I guess we're screwed. You could try googling desperately. Or giving it to me so I may do the same.

To get screenshots for each program, if they exist: each \Category\ has a folder called \ss\ in it: this folder contains screenshots. By looking at the screenshots, you can usually figure out which program they came from. Not all programs will have screenshots, and frankly, these are not our foremost priority.

After you're done with all this, .zip it back up and get it to me somehow. Probably just upload it here, or in a PM.

I would also like to know if any programs you get have versions for other shells or other calculators, and whether these other versions are included with the program. Just get me a list.

For outdated programs: first off, watch for duplicate programs and take only the latest version, or just pick one if they're identical (as may happen). If you happen to know that the latest version we have of a program is REALLY outdated (like, Omnicalc v1.00) don't include in the final .zip but do get me a note about it.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Nov 2006 05:42:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 05:40:30 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
I propose switching asm/basic and category.
TI-xx\Category\Basic\Program Name
Ti-xx\Category\Asm\Name

If I wanted to look for, say, a factoring program I don't want to have to look in both assembly and basic.  I wouldn't go to the archives thinking "hmm I want an assembly program" > "do I want a game or math utility?"
[post="91016"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
This is just temporary. From what I understand about AlienCC's new download system, it's not going to have either order to it, you can search by either one. So it doesn't matter how we do it with this.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 09:23:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm feeling REALLY stupid right now, I've been sorting through all the files, how exactly am I supposed to organise them before uploading?
Cure

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 10:12:30 pm    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
I'm feeling REALLY stupid right now, I've been sorting through all the files, how exactly am I supposed to organise them before uploading?
[post="91031"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed.

I have a general idea of what you want, but could you just clarify so there is absolutely no doubt in our minds?
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 07:37:31 am    Post subject:

Cure777 wrote:
Super Speler wrote:
I'm feeling REALLY stupid right now
[post="91031"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed.
[post="91033"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That was nice!

I'm also wondering. Are we supposed to make one text file for each program that has the TI-XX\(BASIC - ASM)\Category\Name for each file and then have author, description, screenshots?
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 08:46:28 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately I have been chosen to do the TI-81 files (a calc that I cant emulate), which means that I can't test or make screenshots of the programs, unless I all type them in and convert them to 83+ format by hand. I will start with the programs that already have a description, and convert them into the standardized format you posted, so i will at least have something ready quite soon.

The files that I have all are program.81, and it looks like they're supposed to be typed in by hand, although some of them also seem to contain information for a Graphlink like program. Should I keep the program code as it is, and add instructions for typing it in?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 04:24:40 pm    Post subject:

Here's a sample of some of the TI-92+ files sorted, that should clear up most questions.

leofox: we're not going to be testing programs now for two reasons:
1. We don't have enough (or possibly any) people for the non-83+ calculators to test them all.
2. If we did, it would still take a very long time.

If I think of a way to test & screenshot all the programs easily, we'll be doing that too. For now, my best idea is uploading the programs without testing, then announcing a contest to test the most files and win a calculator? I'm open to any better ideas though.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 04:34:50 pm    Post subject:

That answers all my questions thanks.

EDIT: My folder is full of computer programs, would you like me to organise it by Windows/Mac/Linux rather then language?

EDIT2: I just stuck them in computer, where should I put tutorials, there are several?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Nov 2006 05:18:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cure

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 05:49:00 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I understand completely now.

So no testing files at this moment?
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 08:14:34 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
The files that I have all are program.81, and it looks like they're supposed to be typed in by hand, although some of them also seem to contain information for a Graphlink like program. Should I keep the program code as it is, and add instructions for typing it in?
[post="91042"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There is no linking system for the 81. I have one, and all you can do is type programs in by hand.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 08:43:26 pm    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
That answers all my questions thanks.

EDIT:  My folder is full of computer programs, would you like me to organise it by Windows/Mac/Linux rather then language?

EDIT2:  I just stuck them in computer, where should I put tutorials, there are several?
[post="91052"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Windows/Mac/Linux would be very helpful, thanks. Tutorials... um... didn't tifreak say he wanted them?

Cure777 wrote:
Ok, I understand completely now.

So no testing files at this moment?
[post="91059"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
That is correct.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 09:26:47 pm    Post subject:

Ok Windows/Mac/Linux it is, all of them are Windows so far though...

Yes TI-Freak said he wanted them but I beleive that was something else, not sure though. I'm almost done by the way, I should be finished by tommorow night.

EDIT: Where should I put screenshots, where should I put level editors for various games (on computer editors, not sure if it should be in games or utilities or whatnot...)?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Nov 2006 10:36:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 15 Nov 2006 08:43:50 am    Post subject:

Tutorials... What kind of tutorials are they??

I will try my best to get the rest of the 73 files done tonight.

Are you sure you would rather us not check them as we have them??? I have already found one that does not work, and was not going to include that file...

Oh, for files without a Readme, should we cook a simple one up for it??
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Nov 2006 09:01:42 am    Post subject:

bananaman wrote:
leofox wrote:
[post="91042"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There is no linking system for the 81. I have one, and all you can do is type programs in by hand.
[post="91071"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Lol, that sucks Surprised
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Nov 2006 05:26:02 pm    Post subject:

I have TI-80, but some of the files are appearing for the 81. Are they compatible? Does anyone know about the syntax of the 80 BASIC? (For example, can I just go through and remove all the ending parentheses?)

EDIT: The program files are just text, and the ones with documentation just have it before the code. Here is what I intend to do with them:
If there is documentation, leave it alone.
If not, copy the blurb from progs3.txt into the top, and delete the parts (program number, name of zip) that don't seem to have any purpose any more
Save the file as program.80 (maybe program.txt?) instead of a zip file since there is only one file.

Any problems with that approach?

Last edited by Guest on 15 Nov 2006 05:34:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Nov 2006 05:27:11 pm    Post subject:

tifreak8x wrote:
Tutorials... What kind of tutorials are they??

I will try my best to get the rest of the 73 files done tonight.

Are you sure you would rather us not check them as we have them??? I have already found one that does not work, and was not going to include that file...

Oh, for files without a Readme, should we cook a simple one up for it??
[post="91086"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
If you find that one doesn't work, don't include it, but apart from you, most people won't actually have the calculator they're working with, which makes checking difficult.

Making readmes for files that don't have them would be awesome of you.

Tutorials: there's "The Most Complete TI-BASIC Optimization Guide
For the TI-82, TI-83, and TI-83+/SE calculators
By Matt Offner, a.k.a. TI83Plus_BASIC_Wizard, a.k.a. Darth Mathias", and then there's some .exe file that says it's a TI-83+ Basic tutorial.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Nov 2006 06:06:25 pm    Post subject:

Did you miss my questions, which probably went through while you were typing post?

In other news, "guess.zip" has been permanently deleted from the archives. For the sake of programmers everywhere, I was forced to take a stand against the anonymous "just a simple guessing game."

EDIT: "Random insult generator" has also gone the way of [s]the dodo[/s] guess.zip. Even though it does have an author, the insults are rather inappropriate.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Nov 2006 06:41:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Nov 2006 06:58:26 pm    Post subject:

I've read the TI-80 and TI-81 manuals, briefly; the two calculators are so different that even the home screens don't have the same font. Also, the menus are completely different. I'm going to take a wild guess and say they're not compatible.

And I have no problems with your approach. I'd save it as program.80 instead of program.txt since that's the way ticalc.org does it and it seems to be the most popular way to do so.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement