This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 02:56:37 am    Post subject:

Is anyone willing to do some ASM testing with RealSound to see if we can implement music in the Sonic 83+/84+ version?
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 07:01:17 am    Post subject:

Isn't Realsound music quite large and heavy on the CPU? It might be something that could be used on the faster calcs, with fast CPU mode.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Feb 2007 07:01:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 12:12:09 pm    Post subject:

All sound programs are large on the calculator compared to their length, even midi ones. However, if sound is going to be used, IMHO, it's going to be hard to be running code and playing music at the same time on the calculator. But if that is overcome, too, then there should be a separate 83+/84+/Calculator-that-has-small-amount-of-memory program with no sound (to save space) and a 83+ Silver/84+ Silver program with sound (cause silvers have a huge amount of memory to support sound)
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 07:12:29 pm    Post subject:

In our first .wav conversion, we discovered recording would take roughly 1kB per second audio. Realistical, we'd be looking at using a Flash2RAM function to get around that. We can get around the CPU cost by reserving sound for game areas needing the least throughput. Titlescreen, level select, and credits are a few possibilities.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Feb 2007 07:26:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 09:06:05 pm    Post subject:

realsound 2 should be much more CPU friendly from what ive read on RS, however there is the whole deal with it being an app, and the insane space

im in favor of midi/mod files.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 09:10:45 pm    Post subject:

o/t there's going to be a realsound 2? pant, pant! o/t

for me, the size of sound files doesn't really matter (I have a silver edition, after all). What matters is that realsound apps take a huge amount of time to put onto the calc and to take off the calc (defragmentation). Then there's the case of the high-end noise... Dry
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 10:34:52 pm    Post subject:

We might not be able to avoid the carrier noise from RealSound, but that's one of the things I want to look into. So would anyone be willing to put together a RealSound test prog and maybe sample a few Sonic mp3's?
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Mar 2007 09:20:43 am    Post subject:

One of more recent RealSound things I saw used less than 50% CPU if I recall correctly. That's more than enough for things like titlescreen and stuff. The only issue then would be space.
Mike_k

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 01:44:57 am    Post subject:

It seems the consensus is to actually have music? I would suggest this for the menu screens and other non-gameplay areas. However, for the ingame stuff, I'm pretty sure most would be impressed with sound effects for coin collection, jumping, killing an enemy, things like that - not necessarily constant steady sound in the background.

My question stands as thus, say a person hits a pocket of rings and you need to make 10 ring sounds - that would eat the guesstimated 35% of the CPU for a length of time which would be noticeable, is there a way around that?

-Mike
Jim e

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 02:37:22 am    Post subject:

Like I was telling 3fg, its a bad idea to even think about real sound for gaming. While there is certainly enough cpu speed on an se to get some decent quality, theres not enough memory. 1 Second needs 19k of memory.
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 09:25:21 pm    Post subject:

Mike_k wrote:
I'm pretty sure most would be impressed with sound effects for coin collection, jumping, killing an enemy, things like that - not necessarily constant steady sound in the background.
[post="98625"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The only sound games I've ever played (Ice Climb for 83+, Super Mario for 86, Megaman for 86) have a beep or two when an event happens, and in all of them the sound ends up being more of an annoyance than a contribution to the quality of the game. Just try Ice Climb and you'll know what I mean. The space issue could be overcome on the calculators with a USB port by using a flash drive, but that would be very difficult and nobody has implemented something like it yet.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Mar 2007 09:29:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Mar 2007 08:39:26 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if we would have any better luck sampling each instrument, and then playing waveform back on a pitch-volume-duration basis more like midi does. That could do for music what tilemaps do for graphics.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 02:33:02 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
I wonder if we would have any better luck sampling each instrument, and then playing waveform back on a pitch-volume-duration basis more like midi does.  That could do for music what tilemaps do for graphics.
[post="99059"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

wasn't the original plan to use .mod style audio? (along the lines of midi)
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 03:49:25 pm    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
I think that's what he just described. Nevertheless, we're certainly not going
to interpret a .mod file on-calc—we would have to build our very own format.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Mar 2007 03:56:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 04:22:10 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
I think that's what he just described. Nevertheless, we're certainly not going
to interpret a .mod file on-calc—we would have to build our very own format.
[post="99111"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think so too, but I was confused cause i thought thats what the plan was like 2 years ago....

and I know, thats why I said mod style.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 07:38:27 pm    Post subject:

My idea was more along the lines of mixing the benefits of MOD & RealSound. You could sample an instrument (say trumpet) to capture it's true voice. Then create a MOD file that instructs the music prog to play the trumpet voice a different pitches to create a melody. It doesn't seem to far off with RealSound out there now.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement