This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Releases => Your Projects
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 03:34:19 pm    Post subject:

File Name :: Fishy
Author :: Iambian
Category :: Ti-83plus Asm Games
Screenshot :: [img]http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?act=downloads&do=imgss&id=282[/img]
Description ::
A port from an online Java game of the same name.

As the game goes, you're a little fish and you grow bigger by eating smaller fish while not getting eaten by the larger fish.

Current (stable) version 1.9, see ReadME.

Updated Tue, May 8 2007 4:18 pm

View File
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 04:20:34 pm    Post subject:

It looks awesome! I'll surely download it when I can :biggrin:
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 04:49:53 pm    Post subject:

Sweeet! Although I have a couple suggestions...

-> Why don't you move down at the same speed you move up? Is that just because you're underwater?
-> Could you maybe start off with a few fish and gradually get more?
-> Maybe use b_call(_getKey) for pausing instead of direct input? Holding the pause button down too long doesn't really pause...

It's really really hard in the beginning. I haven't even gotten to the 2nd fish size...

Last edited by Guest on 19 Mar 2007 04:53:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 05:49:56 pm    Post subject:

As I was posting the game, I had realized that I edited the engine to generate fish faster than normal. If you are ASM-savvy, you could edit the instruction around line 153 that reads " ld b,2" to "ld b,8", which was the original instruction to begin with. I'll update the program again when I get back home.

While you're reading the source, you could also find a certain "cheat" that I added in the game (which is never discussed anywhere but on IRC). I'll make it insanely easy, but... heh.

Oh, and thanks for the thing about the pause. I'll see if I can add in a keyreading delay for that. Also, I plan to get the game to enter "paused" mode when you get back to the game after hitting the teacher-key (now that I think about it)

Last edited by Guest on 19 Mar 2007 06:04:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 06:02:39 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...cheats....

Don't make it too easy.

I know a little ASM, but not enough to find out what the heck you're doing. I'll just have to press random keys...
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 08:52:51 pm    Post subject:

To add on to HF, I think that not only should you start out with fewer fish but also not all of the sizes being present. The games that i have playedlike this only have two bigger sizes than you.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 09:24:55 pm    Post subject:

I had already begun addressing the too many fish thing. One of the posts addressed it if you're willing to reassemble the game while I'm out reassembling it and updating it (which will happen eventually).

The idea about no fish not being more than two sizes greater than you are good, but that kinda breaks when you're within two sizes to the largest size. I can see about working that in, though.

I can address the fish movement issue, as it's simply playing around with a few constants.

Using _getkey will most likely break the keyreading code, but I had another solution already prepared (which addresses direct input for menus).

As for the number of fish on the screen at the same time, I can adjust the frequency of fish generation, but I suppose I can adjust the actual maximum number of fish on the screen at any given moment. Currently, it's capped at 30 fish plus the player, and the game's speed depends on the number of fish capable. Sure, I may be able to work on that.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll get to work on some of less trivial matters (as soon as I can knock off a leg of the research project that I'm responsible for... )
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 10:34:19 pm    Post subject:

Excellent game, too. After haxoring Fishy I managed to get to the 4th level of fish! It's very addicting.

Hey, netham45 knew the cheat. If you don't mind could you tell us?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Mar 2007 05:39:43 am    Post subject:

The fish sizes are fine, people just want it easy.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 20 Mar 2007 08:01:33 am    Post subject:

Very cool game, i remember having fun with the java game a while back and thinking that it would make a cool calc game, so awesome work!

One tiny-tiny suggestion, i really dont usually like to point these things out ... but where it shows your score, should it read 'you are' instead of 'your'? Or am i reading it out of context?

Either way, its a cool game, well done! Smile.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Mar 2007 10:01:39 am    Post subject:

For cheating in this game, I expect you to read the source and figure it out yourself. You know, so that the reader could be inclined to learn a little about ASM, especially the power of direct input. For a hint in looking through the source, I employ a technique of reading two key groups at the same time, and I use the output to change a value and make an altered relative jump to the label "gamestart". There are ten sizes of fish but twelve entries on the sprite table.

Sometimes, hints are necessary, but please don't post exactly what the cheat is once you've found it. However, we (people who know the cheat that I've spoken to on IRC) will refer to it as the "Developer Block" or "DevBlock" for short, simply because it was a feature added on to aid in debugging the program.

So essentially, the "cheat" is a feature that I left in the program during the debugging phase. Have fun finding it Smile

Last edited by Guest on 20 Mar 2007 10:03:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Mar 2007 09:23:45 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for double-posting, but I had to say this.

The updated version 1.9 fixes a few problems associated with the older program.

1. The fish generation frequency was reduced since I forgot to change it back after debugging a subroutine relating to a table. It's still greater than that of Fishy version 1.7 (not officially released), but not that much.
2. Pausing, although I haven't changed how it's handled, has more wordiness added to it so you know exactly what to do in order to unpause it.
3. When you re-enter the game after you had quit using the teacher key, the game restarts as paused instead of active. Tell me if this annoys you more than it does help.
4. When you game over, the playing field is cleared so there's no junk on the screen. I believe this is more pleasing to the eye that you can actually read "Game Over" with ease.
5. Slighly tweaked the movement limits so moving in any direction should be the same as the other.

I completely ignored the fish size request. Deal with it.
I still have yet to do the steadily increasing fish frequency thing, but the current build should be easy enough.

Enjoy this slightly newer version Smile
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Mar 2007 09:49:45 pm    Post subject:

It looks much cleaner w/o the number of fish in the corner.

It's also a tad easier now that I'm used to it.
If you want the arrow keys to unpause, why does all other keys unpause too? Not really a glitch, just something that irks me.
I like that it pauses after restarting, it makes it easier to tell if you're about to get eaten. Although, it is hard to tell which fish you are....maybe flash it or something?
I've also noticed that you can go offstage. Is this meant to be? You can't eat anything or get hit, but it's kinda annoying.

You should probably make it so you have to eat more fish to get bigger the bigger you get. Unless the fishy's belly stays the same size.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Mar 2007 10:02:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 21 Mar 2007 11:10:30 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
You should probably make it so you have to eat more fish to get bigger the bigger you get.  Unless the fishy's belly stays the same size.
[post="99304"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If that were made, than you should also make it that the bigger you are, the bigger fish you can eat until you become absolutely huge and can eat everything (well, maybe not everything Razz )
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 10:09:56 am    Post subject:

That is the whole objective of the game. Unless I missed something?
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 05:49:30 pm    Post subject:

I just realized that when your fish goes off the screen(atleast to the left side) the fish wont get eaten. So if i wanted to not get eaten i could just swim off the screen. I am not sure, but i dont think thats wat you want is it?
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 07:43:15 pm    Post subject:

baorder54 wrote:
I just realized that when your fish goes off the screen(atleast to the left side) the fish wont get eaten.  So if i wanted to not get eaten i could just swim off the screen.  I am not sure, but i dont think thats wat you want is it?
[post="99315"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Quote:
I've also noticed that you can go offstage. Is this meant to be? You can't eat anything or get hit, but it's kinda annoying.

Already said Wink
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 09:20:53 pm    Post subject:

Sorry about that, I am really confused with this whole new set up where only the post you clicked on shows with the little organized thingy at the bottom. I dont like it.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 09:55:43 pm    Post subject:

It's not new, it's just you having clicked the wrong thing. Scroll up to where the topic title is shown, then find "Standard" on the far right of that, and click it. Should be fixed then.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 24 Mar 2007 01:11:41 pm    Post subject:

I got it, Weregoose on irc said it can happen when you have clicked on a link to this site from google, which i remember doing. Thanks.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement