This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Releases => Your Projects
netham45

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 11:06:51 pm    Post subject:

heh, I love your game. is it allright if I mention the egg when you reach 64k? once I get my lappy back(stupid dad) I will put the latest version on my calc and try it out, Im stuck at 1.6 I think.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 May 2007 08:03:38 am    Post subject:

netham45 wrote:
heh, I love your game. is it allright if I mention the egg when you reach 64k?
[post="99749"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sure deal.

Also, I think there's something worth noting. I've identified a potentially serious bug. Although the game has not crashed on me because of this, I just want everyone to be a little wary about it.

Upon exiting the game back to MirageOS, the size of each of the programs will read off the same size as Fishy. In addition, I've heard of reports of programs "unhiding" themselves in the shell. The current workaround I've seen would be to simply exit the shell and re-enter it.

I believe this bug, even if I have not identified the exact cause, is serious because it may indicate a buffer overflow of some kind, perhaps relating to the table routines. If someone were to test this program to determine if it is indeed writing to areas outside of its own bounds I'd like to know about it. Currently, the program uses SMC for its built-in table and variables, and writes to the appbackupscreen buffer for the sprite table.

As for what should be done by now, I suggest that each time you play Fishy, make sure that all things are archived, or ensure that the information on your calculator is appropriately backed up.

If you identify any additional bugs, I would like to know. Also, keep in mind that the most recent version (found somewhere, I dunno if I updated it to that) has a teacher-key issue fixed.
benryves

Posted: 03 May 2007 11:20:15 am    Post subject:

Hi, I completely missed this thread before so haven't yet tried the game, but it looks fantastic. ;)

I don't have access to the source, but I've found strange things happening in MirageOS with my own programs, such as changing the case of program names, program names disappearing completely, sizes displayed incorrectly and so on. In my case it boiled down to modifying the various asmFlags.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 May 2007 03:18:45 pm    Post subject:

I don't mean to sound like a n00b or anything, but... does MirageOS actually *use* the asm_flags and expect the value of that to remain intact between program executions?

I ask that because I neglected to mention that Fishy also uses asm_Flag1 to store values.

And I'm also hoping that the problem with Fishy isn't any bigger than not having flags saved. I'll go and make those changes ...

Last edited by Guest on 03 May 2007 03:22:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 03 May 2007 06:37:13 pm    Post subject:

Is the fish movement problem being worked on? Like where if I tap the up arrow my fish goes up one pixerl, if I tap the down arrow nothing happens.

TIHO: work on z80 heaven!

Last edited by Guest on 03 May 2007 08:16:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 May 2007 01:14:51 pm    Post subject:

I believe I have the Mirage OS display bug handled. I preserved asm_flag1 (defined in the game as "Fish3Flag" Razz ) and the display bug seems to have stopped.

Also, I actually *noticed* the specified movement issue. The problem boggled my mind for an hour, but then I identified the specific run of code. I had a cheap way to fix it and the more expensive method. I chose the more expensive method since I believe more people would enjoy the game a little better if you could easily move the fish instead of having to hold the button to get the fish to move at all. I'm sure 26 bytes that was "wasted" would improve the enjoyment of the game.

Also, the source should be with the game this time around. Optimization would be helpful. See the attachment about the game and the source, while I wait for an update.
-------
EDIT: The attachment has been removed in favor of getting the user to download the program using UTI's downloading system.

Last edited by Guest on 16 May 2007 10:35:36 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 May 2007 04:19:28 pm    Post subject:

The update is there Smile
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 08 May 2007 04:25:20 pm    Post subject:

Really glad to see the movement bug fixed. Smile Although the mirage bug didn't bother me, I am glad nothing will happen in the future.(with mirageos) Good job Iambian.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jun 2007 10:48:09 am    Post subject:

The secret to the DevBlock is as follows:

From the title screen, press MODE, then 2nd + left

Enjoy Smile
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 04 Jun 2007 11:10:09 am    Post subject:

Haha, thats cool. I figured the egg had somethng to do with the mode screen, but I don't know anything from there. Smile
Areign

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 09:16:42 pm    Post subject:

this game is real neat. but unfortunately i cant seem to get it to work on my calc with DCS. is this exclusively mirage? i did get it to work with wabbitemu on my ti84+SE rom with DCS but not on the calc that the rom came from....well to tell the truth the game did work but not well. it was all glitchy and the graphics were terrible, have of the logo was on the bottom and the text was shifted so some words were a line above or below. i exited right away and tried it in the emu and it worked fine so im not sure whats wrong.

edit:hmm just realized im a bit late on this topic...w/e

Last edited by Guest on 23 Jun 2007 09:17:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Jun 2007 11:39:51 pm    Post subject:

Don't worry. You prolly need LCD Fix, a 84+ exclusive LCD fixer. I have no idea how it works, but it fixes the LCD driver, so games that have glitches like the one you described work properly. Gemini and Doom are a few that come to mind.
Taricorp

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 10:43:30 am    Post subject:

A bit late, but yeah, Mirage expects Asm_Flag1 to stay the same when programs are executed. Methinks this needs to be documented, but you seem to have dealt with it just fine.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 02:39:21 pm    Post subject:

Along with the asm-flag1 thing, I was wondering if it's possible to actually make MirageOS crash if they are set all wrong, or if it's just a display error that happens because of either a failure to preserve the flags or an intentional effor to screw with the flags.

What's the verdict? (since I really don't feel like testing this one out)

EDIT2: Yeah, I agree that requiring asm_flag1 to be preserved should be stated. In bold.

EDIT1:
Areign wrote:
this game is real neat. but unfortunately i cant seem to get it to work on my calc with DCS. is this exclusively mirage? ...[post="109247"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It shouldn't be exclusive for MirageOS. The topic discussion was about how to get MirageOS to stop being all buggy, but it's not just MirageOS. MirageOS was just the shell I used at the time to run the program. You can run it from the homescreen, so you don't even need a shell. (Instructions on how to do that are in the readme file)

It was designed with the modified ION header to allow execution from the homescreen. The original verison was *designed* to be run from the homescreen, so ION was never needed to begin with. I just included that little feature as a convenience for the users who like to use shells to play all their games.

EDIT3: So, what else do you think I can do for this game? Optimizations appreciated.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Jun 2007 02:46:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
nuva

Posted: 11 Feb 2009 09:16:55 am    Post subject:

i've played this game for a verry long time!!

But now i can't find it anymore... Sad
can somebody please send me a link?

thnx
Galandros

Posted: 11 Feb 2009 09:36:29 am    Post subject:

nuva wrote:
i've played this game for a verry long time!!

But now i can't find it anymore... Sad
can somebody please send me a link?

thnx
Downloads section in UnitedTI is down. But it should be running again, when it is properly remodulated. Rest to wait or the author (or someone else) give another link. Have you tried to search in ticalc? Maybe this game is there. Iambian has an account in ticalc so is likely to be there.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Feb 2009 11:36:19 am    Post subject:

I wish there were a more straightforward way to get these downloads while the system is out, but the actual file names don't carry a pattern. Until it's all worked out, I can fetch URL's for individual files upon request: Here's Fishy.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Feb 2009 11:53:51 am    Post subject:

i guess you can see the file names in ftp?
if so, you can copy the file names, and post em somewhere..
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Feb 2009 05:51:59 pm    Post subject:

http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=8563
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement