This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Oct 2003 10:18:32 am    Post subject:

I was looking for a good PHP editor the other day on the Internet and stumbled upon a program called Crimson Editor which is freeware. I was satisfied with it. One of the good features it has is syntax highlighting for multiple source types, including Z80 asm.
However, this highlighting wasn't adapted for TI-83 Plus asm as we now it, so I modified the markup files according to my demands. Here's a sample of how a highlighted file can look.

As you see, it highlights rom calls, Z80 instructions, TASM instructions, preprocessor directives, comments, strings and RAM addresses defined in ti83plus.inc.

Here's brief description of how you can set up an IDE for TI-83 Plus asm programming

• Go to Crimson Editor, download and run the installer.
  • Download syntaxfiles.zip, which is attached to this post.
  • 3. Extract extension.asm to C:\Program\Crimson Editor\link. (Yes, you should
    overwrite the existing extension.asm).Asm.key and asm.spc go to C:\Program\Crimson Editor\spec
  • Start Crimson Editor and open a source code file to verify that the stuff works.
Earlier I used to write the source code in ZDS as it syntax highlighted the files, then I used TASM to compile it. Switching between ZDS and the DOS prompt is annoying and steals time. What is really good with Crimson Editor is that you eliminate this step. So I added the regular asm.bat file as my user tool 1. Go to Tools->Configure user tools.

To get it working, please fill it in as follows. Of course you could use another path name than
me. The keyboard shortcut is also up to you. "Save before execute" should be checked. You may find it convenient to enable capture of output, then no MS-DOS window will pop up. Instead,
you will see the output of asm.bat in the window in crimson editor. Exactly like ZDS shows assembler messages Smile I'm really pleased; when I'm programming normal asm programs, I just have to hit ALT+A and it will assemble like a breeze. A big difference, when you consider that I earlier had to

1. Save source in ZDS
2. ALT+TAB to switch to DOS prompt
3. Press the up-arrow key to recall the last command I typed.
4. Hit enter to compile
5. Switch back to ZDS
John Barrus

Posted: 13 Oct 2003 02:04:34 pm    Post subject:

How much harder would it be to configure it to programming in ION?
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Oct 2003 02:14:20 pm    Post subject:

Well, that should be no problem, I think Smile Just use the the batch file that comes with ION to assemble, and it will work fine.

EDIT: Nice to see you again, John!

Last edited by Guest on 13 Oct 2003 02:15:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Barrus

Posted: 13 Oct 2003 02:31:38 pm    Post subject:

Great! It beats notepad, that's for sure.

Nice to see you too!
omni

Posted: 21 Oct 2003 07:24:03 pm    Post subject:

what your asm.bat look like david?
What does it mean by argument?(the help file didn't help because i dont know computer terminology too well.
JacobdeHaan

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 12:47:41 am    Post subject:

Cool!
Before, I used UltraEdit (recommended by ASMGuru)
But this might be better, I'll check it out, thanks!
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 04:34:46 am    Post subject:

This thread brings back some memories for me...I used to use UltraEdit to program my TI-82/85 assembly programs.

Now, given the things I have learned over the last 3 years(?) when my last asm program was released...I'd probably use vim today.

You have to understand that 95% of all the work I do is over a ssh connection using the bash shell environment, and vim is simply the best editor to use for such an occassion (IMHO). If you know the nifty shortcuts it easily transpires into one of the most powerful editors, and you never have to leave the keyboard to click on things which can save lots of time. Today most of what I program are shell scripts, perl scripts, and perl-cgi, all of which I create using vim.

Don't get me wrong, UltraEdit was great when I used it, and I own a full licensed copy of it today, but it has been some time since I've even had it installed. I hope this Crimson Editor turns out to be twice as good as it appears, but if not, there is always the gui version of vim which does support highlighting of several languages, you can create your own definitions if you're ambitious enough...and it is opensource!

--AlienCC
John Barrus

Posted: 23 Oct 2003 05:20:43 pm    Post subject:

Wow, this editor is amazing! Thanks for adapting the syntax files David.

Alien, where do you get vim?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 23 Oct 2003 08:37:03 pm    Post subject:

You can get VIM from here: http://www.vim.org/

Plenty more information on it there...enjoy!

--AlienCC
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Oct 2003 09:15:07 am    Post subject:

omni wrote:
what your asm.bat look like david?
What does it mean by argument?(the help file didn't help because i dont know computer terminology too well.

Argument should be $FileTitle, see this picture

This how my asm.bat file looks like. (Don't bother the Swedish comments Wink)
Unfortunately it may only work on win 98, but you could give it a try.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Oct 2003 09:20:13 am; edited 1 time in total
MaxVT103

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 06:24:37 pm    Post subject:

I know this has been up on a post for a while. But I was learning c just so I could make something like this. Thankyou for finding this and adapting it
JacobdeHaan

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 08:46:14 pm    Post subject:

After using it for a week now, I've determined that this program is better than UltraEdit in most aspects, except that UE supported the ASM labels, and I don't think Crimson Editor does.
oktal

Posted: 05 Nov 2011 12:59:15 am    Post subject:

Why can't I get permission to download this file?

Last edited by Guest on 05 Nov 2011 12:59:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Xeda112358

Posted: 05 Nov 2011 03:59:55 pm    Post subject:

Did you try downloading this before registering? Also note that this thread is about 8 years old.

And also, welcome to the forums!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement