This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Sonic

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Barrus

Posted: 09 Jun 2003 11:36:28 pm    Post subject:

Well, we're all "united" as a group now, so let's start working together on projects. I know that FBF and Nimbus have groups working together, but that's pretty pitiful with a group of 20 members.

I think our quality of programs will be much greater if we make groups to work on different projects. I mean, if you look at all the other major successful groups out there (MaxCoderz, DS...) you'll see that they have groups and a leader to work with on each major project.

I think if we collaborate on stuff, we will get to know each other better (I'm only acquainted with half the group here), and we will be able to share and develop our programming abilities...
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 04:35:52 am    Post subject:

The website must be finished first!
John Barrus

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 10:50:24 am    Post subject:

Well, is it a group working on the site or just one person?

My point is, we have 20 members in the group, but I don't see that many that are regulars to the forum (I'd at least like to know what everyone's programming capabilities are). If we involve everyone in a project of some kind, it'll at least increase quality and quantity of communication in UTI, plus it will tie them to the group.

I, for one, learn better in groups. Everyone can provide his view on how to do this, or that; which increases my knowledge. I don't know about anyone else in here, but I'm just a beginner in asm. I'd like to work in groups and get some projects started because it'd increase my capabilities.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 12:15:00 pm    Post subject:

I think John is onto something there! Jbirk, would it be so bad, if we started one little project? we could put our input, and do a great job!
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 01:28:34 pm    Post subject:

You can start any project you want. I will even give you a forum in the projects section of this forum.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 01:58:52 pm    Post subject:

so, guys, what type of project do we want? what will it do? will it be a basic program? or will it be asm? or will it be an app? will it be for basic programmers (basic tools)? will it be a game? just to get u guys thinking Wink
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 03:53:32 pm    Post subject:

Well,since most members of the group are better in basic then ASM,so it should probably be a basic program with some ASM routines to accomplish certain things. Also, I think we should make a game. There seems to be a lack of really good games out there. (there are some really good games,though). Just a suggestion,though. Also,to help us all get to know each other better,we should all get a messaging service, like AIM. It's my personal favorite,it's asy to use,and could help keep us all connected.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 04:19:42 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps everyone should post which language(s) they know, so then project leaders or whoever will know who knows what and where they can help out the most. Just an idea...
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 05:14:30 pm    Post subject:

You may wish to make a poll to see what languages each member knows.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 06:05:14 pm    Post subject:

I know a basic and beginning assembly(first five days of 83pasm28d, although not fluently)
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 07:24:31 pm    Post subject:

if we make a game, the sprites should be an asm subroutine, with it retrieving var a, b, and c or something, and a=sprite #, b=xcoord to put sprite at, and c=ycoord... just thinking out loud here!
james

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 07:35:11 pm    Post subject:

i preety much know everything there is to know in basic,as for asm im intermidiate,leaning towards the begginer side,i have started to make tile maps for my games.as far as the group project i think we should do some type of orginal game

street fighter(done)
megman(done)
mario(been done)
metroid(been done)
froger,pacman and galaxian all done
not done
sonic
castlevania
mortal combat(at least not for the 83+)

i think sonic would look good and it would be challenging

james Very Happy
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 07:36:45 pm    Post subject:

castlevania, as in the old atari one, or the new 3d one? i think sonic the hedgehog would be a cool one!
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 08:16:41 pm    Post subject:

The only problem with Sonic would be the animation for when you roll upin a ball,because you gain speed,and when you release,you fire out and loose speed.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 08:20:43 pm    Post subject:

that wouldnt be too hard in asm, but basic... u get the idea...
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 10:37:38 pm    Post subject:

In asm varying speed is a minor task. All it requires it a counter. Sonic is a good idea but unless it was made in asm it wouldn't go very far. SOnic is a fast paced game and basic isn't capable of the necessary tasks for sonic.
John Barrus

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 11:33:36 pm    Post subject:

Well, we can have multiple projects occuring at the same time, it doesn't have to be just one with everyone working on it.

I think that most of our projects from here on out should be asm. As sniper said, we all know basic, so a project in basic probably wouldn't benefit our knowledge that much... But as for asm, it sounds like most of the people here are beginner-intermediate, so a project will help us to learn quicker since we require learning to finish the project!

An asm game sounds great, and I like the idea for Sonic. (Although Metroid is appealing, it's already being made). Please post if you are interested in helping out.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 02:10:53 am    Post subject:

I reccomend calling interrupts to slow a program down, because they are independant of the program code.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 12:15:29 pm    Post subject:

yup, Jbirk has a great idea there... we could use interuppts to slow him down a little and then speed him back up!
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 02:25:12 pm    Post subject:

You are in deed correct John!
Most of the programming groups are not really worth the name. There's often only one leader, and most of the projects are solo projects, and there's not much communication between the members.

As for the site, it's true that there's one person working on it. (Guess who does it Smile)
It is not my intention to create the site myself. I'm focusing on PHP scripts, and I'll see if there's someone who wishes to join me in this task.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jun 2003 03:27:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement