This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Releases => Your Projects
Taricorp

Posted: 03 Aug 2007 03:59:25 pm    Post subject:

File Name :: Sudoku2
Author :: Taricorp
Category :: Ti-83plus Basic Games
Screenshot :: [img]http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?act=downloads&do=imgss&id=307[/img]
Description ::
A full-featured GUI for sudoku, including a puzzle generator, puzzle checker, puzzle saving, and a very spiffy GUI. Weighing in at only 3687 bytes, it is feature-packed and easy to use.

View File
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 03 Aug 2007 06:05:53 pm    Post subject:

The cursor, for the puzzle, the one that looks like a reversed run-indicator, could you put one on the other side as well? It's a little hard to immediately find your position. Maybe have the one on the other side going the opposite way?

Other than that, very cool Smile
Taricorp

Posted: 03 Aug 2007 07:38:05 pm    Post subject:

I could, but it would slow it down some, and I feel it's slow enough already (keep in mind I only have an 83+ BE). It's simple enough to do, just add a line where it sets and erases that pixel.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Aug 2007 09:13:02 pm    Post subject:

How do we know that the puzzles are solvable?
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 03 Aug 2007 10:00:54 pm    Post subject:

Because he used the engines or whatever-you-call-its from HF's program, and we all know those work.
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Aug 2007 06:40:32 pm    Post subject:

I wrote my own genorator.
It simply ramomly places the num 1-9 in the grid and them well you get the rest :biggrin
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Aug 2007 06:56:54 pm    Post subject:

Yes, but that's lame. Really. It's the same puzzle, but with different numbers replaced. The generator Tari used takes one of three (or more, ask Tari) presolved sudokus and shuffles them randomly. So it has uncountable possibilities it can make--while yours, on the other hand, can only make 9 different sudokus.

I did consider that idea when I was making Sudoku 1.0, but it seemed lame to me, so I trashed it and did a bunch of research on generating sudokus.
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Aug 2007 07:29:00 pm    Post subject:

no i mean as in it start with a blankj feild and puts the number 1-9 in one of the 81 squares. it works just makes hard puzzles.
1,134,916,811,136,000 posible puzzles. Smile
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Aug 2007 08:36:59 pm    Post subject:

Ahh...apologies. :blush: I saw someone's generation code once--it simply plugged different numbers into the same puzzle. LAME!
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 04 Aug 2007 09:06:27 pm    Post subject:

lordofthegeeks wrote:
no i mean as in it start with a blankj feild and puts the number 1-9 in one of the 81 squares.  it works just makes hard puzzles.
1,134,916,811,136,000 posible puzzles. Smile
[post="110839"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You only place one number?

If not, and I'm misunderstanding you, how do you check to make sure the puzzle is solvable?
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Aug 2007 10:18:39 pm    Post subject:

Checking to see if it is solvable is easy. However, generating it his way and making it fast is another story.
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Aug 2007 02:20:24 pm    Post subject:

no it enters the number 1 - 9 in random areas in the map.
also i don't do error checking as it makes a hard but probally solvabule puzzle.
You can check it out on calcgames.org its called davidssudoku.
It was a game i was dared to make. also i did make a win checker fort it thats fun.
Taricorp

Posted: 05 Aug 2007 04:39:52 pm    Post subject:

My generator is basically identical to HF's, including the same three initial matricies. Once it shuffles it, it randomly removes 54-6H (H is difficulty, with 1 highest and 3 lowest) numbers from the puzzle, then marks any remaining numbers in the matrix as a clue.
Ductapemaster

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 02:25:40 am    Post subject:

Hey, I am interested in porting this to a microcontroller (more specifically the Parallax SX). Is there any way you could give me just the generation code? That's all I need for my project. I'm building an electronic Sudoku game and I have been having some real trouble finding a (decent) puzzle generator written in basic.

Thanks!

-Dan

PS for those of you who remember me, I'm back after a long break

Last edited by Guest on 12 Dec 2007 02:26:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 02:56:43 am    Post subject:

Hey, Ductapemaster, I remember you—I even have your Geometry Definitions document lying around here still. :)

A simple technique to building a puzzle is to take one that is already made, and, by swapping two of its rows or two of its columns enough times, you'll eventually have a puzzle that doesn't appear to be the same one at all. Plus, selecting from a group of pre-made puzzles before shuffling reduces the chance of ever seeing the same one twice.

If you want to look at the source code for Taricorp's program, you can reach the download link at the top of this thread.

Welcome back! 8)

[EDIT] – And happy birthday? :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 12 Dec 2007 02:19:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ductapemaster

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 05:28:58 pm    Post subject:

Hey, thanks. Yeah, somehow I missed the "view file" link. I have it now and I will be looking it over. Thanks!

Heh, and now that geometry project is probably not very important...I use less of it in AP calculus. However, a calculus version might be nice...we'll see.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 05:48:42 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Hey, Ductapemaster, I remember you—I even have your Geometry Definitions document lying around here still. :)

A simple technique to building a puzzle is to take one that is already made, and, by swapping two of its rows or two of its columns enough times, you'll eventually have a puzzle that doesn't appear to be the same one at all. Plus, selecting from a group of pre-made puzzles before shuffling reduces the chance of ever seeing the same one twice.
[post="117100"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
You can't just swap any two rows/colums. You can swap two of rows 1-3, or two of rows 4-6, or two of rows 7-9. Or you can swap one entire group of rows with another. The same applies to columns. You can also reflect or rotate the puzzle. Also, numbers are interchangeable (e.g. you can replace all the 1's by 2's and all the 2's by 1's). That's all the transformations I can think of off the top of my head.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 06:24:38 pm    Post subject:

I found a page on "legally" scrambling Sudoku's so they remain valid, that's what I used in Sudoku 1.0 (check the archives). If you poke around, you might find a thread in which I discussed then posted the program that makes them...
Taricorp

Posted: 08 Apr 2008 09:41:23 pm    Post subject:

Avast, it's back with version 2.2 (2.1 was my own modifications), mainly thanks to thestorm, who made most of the changes. The quick list of changes (those done by thestorm are preceded by a *):
-Added 'Insane' difficulty, all others are a bit easier
-Best times are now by difficulty, stores 4 to account for insane
-*Cursor is now 2 pixels, so it's easier to see
-*Fixed a major bug in the checker which would flip the matrix after checking
-*Puzzle shuffler should no longer generate impossible puzzles
-*[CLEAR] at the main menu now exits
-*All menus loop around from end to end
-*Fixed some funky stuff when pressing non-numerical keys (-2 if pressing +..)
-*Displays 'Saving game' when you press exit

Thestorm also wrote a nice little puzzle editor, for if you want to take a puzzle along in your calculator, I guess.

Let me know what you think- this counts as 1.2 beta, I guess.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Apr 2008 10:43:21 am    Post subject:

I made a lot of changes including making it almost 200 bytes smaller. The editor saves the sudoku as a saved game and makes all inputted values unchangeable so be careful because it is possible to create unsolvable puzzles. I also made it so if you press del, it will erase the current box, zero and sto still work as they did before. Once you have created your custom puzzle all you have to do is start the main program and select continue. We plan to submit a final version if no one finds a bug within a few days. As far as I know there shouldn’t be any but since I did a lot of optimizing and there were a few bugs before I began there might be some I missed.

[edit] Please post if you find any errors so we can fix them or if you have any suggestions on how to make it better.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Apr 2008 03:38:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement