This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-Freak8x subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Pokemon Purple => TI-Freak8x
United-TI Archives -> Pokemon Purple

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 20 Aug 2007 02:12:11 pm    Post subject:

I have started, yet again. Razz I have picked up at makin a scrolling map system, and will hopefully have something to show by this weekend. I have a small part of a test map ready, so once I get that done, I can begin workin on the engine.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Aug 2007 02:29:06 pm    Post subject:

A scrolling map system in Basic?? You must be crazy!!

Good luck though.

Can't wait for the weekend.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Aug 2007 04:18:39 pm    Post subject:

/me thinks 4-directional scrolling is going to be very hard to make dynamic, you'll have to somehow find the length and height of each map (which I hope will be stored as a string).
Sting::Ray

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Aug 2007 04:20:22 pm    Post subject:

Woah! Four-way scrolling in BASIC!? Wow, can't wait to see what you come up, tifreak8x! Smile
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Aug 2007 07:06:55 pm    Post subject:

Strings are pretty powerful for scrolling; does anyone remember leofox's "secret RPG"?
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Aug 2007 07:13:08 pm    Post subject:

This reminds me I was going to learn Gameboy z80 asm for a secret project I was going to try. But it is cool to see progress on this though.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 20 Aug 2007 11:28:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the support, guys. Smile And yes, I am EXTREMELY crazy! bwhahahahaha :lol:

Got around 15 lines of 54 entered into the calc...54 rows, by 27 columns... is 1458 characters, plus one ", ->, and string variable name, and of course the 2 values stored to a list to tell the dimensions, will be one small map segment.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 07:56:40 am    Post subject:

meh, homescreen scrolling using strings isn't that hard. I have done it some time ago, there are some games already out using scrolling (like dark link quest), there is even a tutorial about it on his site. the problem is that horizontal scrolling is a lot slower than vertical scrolling.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 10:18:10 am    Post subject:

again, others have accomplished the feat, but the way I am doing mine will be different, and built from scratch. We will see what it is I manage to create. Razz
diegtorr

Posted: 24 Aug 2007 10:32:46 pm    Post subject:

Hey thanks tifreak8x for creating an awesome game, but i have a long year of Calculus up ahead, so i wanted to ask you, when do you predict this game will be finished? If you had to take an estimate, because we are all eager to play the final game. Smile
Igrek

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 04:39:37 am    Post subject:

I'm currently unable to try this game (my calculator is taking a nap until I get new batteries), but still this game seems great. I believe you are using characters, so the graphics are not that good. There is a way to improve this! I discussed this method some time ago on DS.
The method: use Omnicalc custom fonts. I have written a program that enables a font (at the beginning of the program) and another that disable this font. I'm not sure about whether or not is still have this program but I could write it again if necessary.
I may be wrong about that you use characters on the homescreen, well anyway if use the graphscreen you can still display these 'character-sprites'. There are 2 ways to do this:
One is the classic Text(-1,X,Y,"Sprite")
and the other one is setting flag 6,(iy+$32)*, this method has the advantage that there are no white columns of pixels between the characters, so you ca display 19*9 characters. However this has the drawback that very little is knows about this flag.
I have not been here for long so I can be absolutely wrong and this could make this post totally irrelevant.

*This is the sixth bit of the fontflags, however I could not find any information on it, I discovered it accidentally while I was making 'Clock Hook 2'. The OS doesn't reset this flag under normal circumstances so every place where the small font is used (in the OS or in an application (I haven't seen any applications that reset this flag)) looks funny (= becomes unreadable). I only tested it on OS 2.30 so I'm not sure of it's effect under other OSes / on an TI83plus (SE).

Last edited by Guest on 25 Aug 2007 10:22:03 am; edited 1 time in total
luby

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 01:03:27 pm    Post subject:

Igrek wrote:
I'm currently unable to try this game
[post="111622"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So are the rest of this. No releases have been made yet.

Anyway, I believe that this program is going to be mostly basic, not using xlib or omnicalc. Just a few ASM programs for storage and such.
Igrek

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 01:25:10 pm    Post subject:

luby wrote:
So are the rest of this.  No releases have been made yet.
[post="111628"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/382/38297.html

I thought this was the release of the game... It has the same name so...
luby

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 01:29:25 pm    Post subject:

It is, just not the final release. That was an old one.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 25 Aug 2007 08:37:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the thought, but I will not be using libs like that to assist in the game making process. For the most part, this game will be made in BASIC, with what ever asm assistance I need, but to a minimum. It will be more impressive that way.

As to a release day, I have no idea. Sad I am workin on it though...
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 27 Aug 2007 10:13:09 pm    Post subject:

Here you can see the beginings of the scrolling map system. This was an emulated 83+SE, the 83+ version is nearly as fast. I would love to see what it looks like on the hardware SE, but alas I have those calcs tied up right now. Now to figure out how to set up the borders, and still allow movement between map segments... :/
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Aug 2007 11:03:20 pm    Post subject:

wow nice job hey maybe for your next demo you could have pallet viridean and the first gym playable
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 27 Aug 2007 11:10:48 pm    Post subject:

That is actually the plan. ;)

I just hope I come up with a good solution for the map data, so I can move between segments.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Aug 2007 11:24:55 pm    Post subject:

Celtic? maybe Store it all in one or more program instead of strings and use Celtic to recall each line from the program.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 05:39:47 am    Post subject:

Neutral that looks awesome

only the white on the sides can be a bit confusing at times, maybe fill it with something.

this keeps looking less and less like RPG starters kit Sad
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement