This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-Freak8x subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Pokemon Purple => TI-Freak8x
United-TI Archives -> Pokemon Purple

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 08:04:30 am    Post subject:

Simply put, I was wrong.

This is so fast, I would Swear it uses xLib. now just for that annoying hit detection. Laughing
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 10:02:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Celtic? maybe Store it all in one or more program instead of strings and use Celtic to recall each line from the program.

That would slow down the overall map display drastically. The way I have it now is probably gonna be the fastest to do it.

Quote:
Neutral that looks awesome

only the white on the sides can be a bit confusing at times, maybe fill it with something.

this keeps looking less and less like RPG starters kit  Sad

Well, this is a test map, nothing more. I plan on remaking the map so it is more accurate, since the map segments are for each road and town, not as much as I have there.

Quote:
Simply put, I was wrong.

This is so fast, I would Swear it uses xLib. now just for that annoying hit detection.

Hehe, thanks luby. I do truly enjoy showing off BASIC, that it doesn't need all them there asm programs to get things done with speed. Wink I do appreciate the assistance that the few I use gives me though :)

For those that wish to look at the code, check here: http://tifreakware.net/tifreak8x/pokemon/scrollwalkzip.zip

Last edited by Guest on 28 Aug 2007 10:44:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 02:46:10 pm    Post subject:

Looks really good, as usual. Good routine, is it the final? I can see a couple of things that might make it faster. Keep doing what you're doing.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 02:49:56 pm    Post subject:

Tifreak wrote:
Sage Orator wrote:

Looks really good, as usual. Good routine, is it the final? I can see a couple of things that might make it faster. Keep doing what you're doing.
[post="111751"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, this is a test map, nothing more

I also believe optimizations are happening as I post by Weregoose.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 04:02:51 pm    Post subject:

...which I have exhausted, with this routine being as simple as it is currently. A further-developed engine later on would be much more worthwhile to optimize.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Aug 2007 04:03:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 05:09:17 pm    Post subject:

I believe map=/routine. I understood that statement to mean that the map was nothing like the one to be used in the game. I know that Weregoose could do a wonderful job but I also know that people are busy and I currently have a rare moment of free time.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Aug 2007 06:52:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 07:28:19 am    Post subject:

Well, spent some time last night, a whopping 15 minutes, and implemented hit detection. I merely added to the equations that was in there, and it has slowed it down quite drastically. I believe I may regain my speed by going with If Then End blocks, so I am going to try that and see. And using them, I will be able to make it so it can move from map segment to map segment anyways, so it will work out better in the end. And I also have begun to work on the complexities of making the system dynamic. This should be so much fun... Razz
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 05 Sep 2007 08:04:59 am    Post subject:

Hmm... Well, a lil bit of an update since the last post.

Moving to logical blocks brought the speed back up to where it was, I have implemented jumping ledges going downwards, The other ledges will be implemented as I get the maps made that far.

At the moment, the map to map linker is not being very cooperative. I cannot seem to get things to line up correclty value wise, though I am confident that with some patience, and some massive amounts of sugar, I can overcome this small problem. :)

Edit

Well, patience was all that was required, no sugar neccessary. :P

Last edited by Guest on 05 Sep 2007 01:31:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Sep 2007 07:45:54 am    Post subject:

AWESOME WORK!!!!!!
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Sep 2007 10:14:14 am    Post subject:

Neutral

awesome, this is going to be one of the greatest basic games made. Smile
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 06 Sep 2007 12:50:21 pm    Post subject:

Tis what I am shooting for. ;)

Also, a bit of an update. I got Vermilion all in there, and loaded the map, and... BLAM! Failed at life. Took a look, and realized I had forgotten to tie it into the rest of the dynamic structure... :whistle: Now with that fixed, and the map working (from what I can tell) I can work on route 22 and see about getting it to move from left and right in map segments.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 11 Sep 2007 12:15:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks to the help of luby and elfprince, the linker routines now allows left and right map movement. :D

Here is a screenie of this in action:
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Sep 2007 01:51:59 pm    Post subject:

It's looking better all the time. Keep up the good work!

btw, how long do you think it'll take to get a playable demo up and running? I mean, one that includes people in the town and trainer battles that you can get into?
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 11 Sep 2007 02:06:54 pm    Post subject:

Well, as long as nothing bad happens any time soon, and I don't have too many problems with the map making process, maybe in a few months. Smile
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 10:32:33 am    Post subject:

Spent some time last night changing variables over to the ones the old system used, so when I send this to the 84+SE, it will not require much attention to make it work.

I also removed a couple rows of one of the map segments, and moved it to another, to make it look more correct. This caused a slight problem with location values, I will have to edit them to get it fixed, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do that though.

I also came up with a way to save thousands of bytes of RAM for the map system. Before, it would look at variables L and M and see which program to copy from Archive. Now, it looks for L and M, and stores a number to Str7. Then it is added to "0ZMA" and the Ans is used by Resource to copy the corresponding program to RAM to be used. Before, it was like this:

If max(M={1,2,3,4}) and max(M={1,2,3,4:Then
"0ZMA1
prgmZRS
prgmTEMP
"0
prgmZRS
End

As I am sure you can imagine, this would cause the sorting program to have been huge, and terribly slow. I am hoping that in this regard, this keeps this particular program down below 5k
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 04:37:19 pm    Post subject:

IIRC, you're using Celtic2. If I may politely suggest:

The loading program I'm using for Metroid Pi offers some great dynamics that might be helpful to you. I store each map something like this:

Code:
:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPause :Return.
You get the idea. Anyways, I use prgmZASSEMB1, a subroutine of OTBP Assembler that takes a program's name in Ans, and returns the entire program as a string, complete with newline tokens. The newline tokens behave a bit strangely, but can be manipulated with Celtic2 without any real problems. So what I did, is prefix every map with a 2-nibble ID code that notes its place--the first digit represents the row, the second, the column. I then use a bunch of sub('s and inString('s to extract the map, then the code. I write the code to a temp prog with Celtic2, and run it. That code will create anything it needs to, say, a path for an enemy, a special enemy subroutine, or something else.

Btw, the period at the end is not a typo, it's a termination indicator. I should use the newline token though...
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 07:25:08 pm    Post subject:

1. That sounds cool and horribly slow for what I need it for

2. I have spent a ton of time getting this current system going, and going fairly fast, don't really think I want to take the time to reprogram the maps yet again. >.<

Thanks for the suggestions though. At this point, gonna make all the maps, then gonna work on battle type stuff.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 07:48:09 pm    Post subject:

No problem, just throwing ideas out there.

About what percentage of the maps do you have done?
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 09:09:02 pm    Post subject:

Just showing off the scrolling system some more, with another map. :)

http://tifreakware.net/tifreak8x/pokemon/scrollingbackup.gif

In ZGA, change L to 0 to play with more of the maps. ZGA, ZMA, ZRS and RESOURCE need to be unarchived to play around with it.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 29 Sep 2007 07:55:45 am    Post subject:

I finally have it set up so you can enter houses. Well, at the moment, just one house, but as more maps are created, and put in the calc, this will increase. :)

Anyways, the screenie:

If someone would like to help me out, I could really use a good map editor. It would have to ask how many rows and columns, and have all letters, numbers, and everything from http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/384/38404.html If you would be willing to do that, that would be of tremendous help. And heck, you could even throw it on ticalc as the "official" RPGSK2 map editor. :P

Anyways, I might try for NPC interactions, and signs as a next step. Just thought I would throw this up here. Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement